• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon P6000 (1 Viewer)

Yesterday I visited the fair "Bird Munich" and tried some cameras with my Swaro ATS80HD, one was the Nikon P6000. Was impressed so far, the screen is much better compared to my actual A590.
BUT: the selftimer (and also the remote control shutter setting!) switched off after every picture. I don't find a way around this in menu - is there a trick? The Canons don't do this, so I can wait with remote control in hand and press now and then without touching the camera again.

Bughunter,
Unfortunately the Self-timer is a oncer but from memory the Remote will stay in Remote. Go to Self-timer and scroll down to a symbol that looks like a microphone ( or a remote ) and select it. It should stay in this mode until you change it. You may be able to SAVE this in memory to U1 or U2 but I haven't tried this.
Neil.

Bughunter,
Unfortunately the Self-timer is a oncer but from memory the Remote will stay in Remote. Go to Self-timer and scroll down to a symbol that looks like a microphone ( or a remote ) and select it. It should stay in this mode until you change it. You may be able to SAVE this in memory to U1 or U2 but I haven't tried this.
Neil.

Neil is right about this, but I can confirm that there is no need to save this to memory, as it stays set even after the camera is switched off and then on again. This happens in the U positions and in AP. Perhaps the latest firmware 1.2 solved this problem and the camera you tried was the original firmware.
Max

Digiscoped with Kowa Prominar 883 + 25x LER + Nikon Coolpix P6000 + IR remote

Distance to Fulica atra was 10 meters
Distance to Rana esculenta was minimum focusing distance = 5 metres

That frog image is absolutely brilliant!!! Well done :t:

Thanks for the answers regarding remote shutter. I will check for good offers of the P6000.

[OFFTOPIC]or invest around 100€ more and get a Lumix G1 (Neil is calling it a gem :t:) but for that I have to exchange my DCB-A against a UCA for example or wait for another lens. Cashback action will run until end of this week. For the new Swaro zoom the G1 kit lens lens may be not the best choice?[/OFFTOPIC]

Bought a P6000 today, already had the remote (ML-L3) for My D60. As above, once set in self timer settings, it stays until you change it - also noticed that shutter release button is still available when in remote mode. only thing noticed was the slight time lag on remote (on the D60 its instant)

Although I'm in love with the Panasonic G1 I still haven't got the perfect lens for it so I'm still using the P6000 whose lens and AF always impress me. Here are a few images from around the usual traps using the new Swarovski 25-50 zoom. The last night-heron image was taken at about 60 metres at 50x for about 2200 mm.
Neil

Nikon P6000 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 25-50x zoom and UCA adapter and Sw Telescope Rail

Hong Kong,
China.
August 2009

Attachments

• bc night heron imm P6000 swzm DSCN9953.jpg
    bc night heron imm P6000 swzm DSCN9953.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 196
  • bc night heron P6000 swzoom25x 38mm nw DSCN9825.jpg
    bc night heron P6000 swzoom25x 38mm nw DSCN9825.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 223
  • reef egret P6000 swzm 30x 38mm DSCN9960.jpg
    reef egret P6000 swzm 30x 38mm DSCN9960.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 155
  • reef egret P6000 swzm25x 38mm nw DSCN0249.jpg
    reef egret P6000 swzm25x 38mm nw DSCN0249.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 246
  • bc night heron P6000 swzm50x nw DSCN0325.jpg
    bc night heron P6000 swzm50x nw DSCN0325.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 215
Excelent photos Neil. The sharpnes and details in your digiscoped photos always impress me. Looks like swarowski 25-50x is great for digiscoping. I hope kowa will make eyepiece like this. I have kowa 20-60x - it is great for watching but too much vigneting with p6000 in sweet macro zone. I almost always use 25x LER with p6000.

Last edited:
Although I'm in love with the Panasonic G1 I still haven't got the perfect lens for it so I'm still using the P6000 whose lens and AF always impress me.

Neil, I'm always impressed by your pictures :t:

There are rumors, that Panasonic releases a new cam GF-1 beginning of September. It's a smaller variant of the G-1/GH-1. Since it has no rotatable display, it's not a good solution for digiscoping. BUT may be you are lucky and Panasonic brings also new lenses at that time?

The prices for the P6000 going down now a bit, may be there is also a new model like P6100 or P7000 soon.

Neil, I'm always impressed by your pictures :t:

There are rumors, that Panasonic releases a new cam GF-1 beginning of September. It's a smaller variant of the G-1/GH-1. Since it has no rotatable display, it's not a good solution for digiscoping. BUT may be you are lucky and Panasonic brings also new lenses at that time?

The prices for the P6000 going down now a bit, may be there is also a new model like P6100 or P7000 soon.

We are going to see some very good small cameras coming out to compete with the Olympus Pen EP 1. I hope Nikon comes out with something soon.
My next investment though will be fixed lens for the G1.
Neil.

Wonderful pics, as usual Neil! The P6000 is a terrific camera for the Zeiss 85T*Fl as well. I got this Bobolink and Common Yellowthroat last weekend and just loved how they came out.

Attachments

• Bobolink6130b.jpg
    Bobolink6130b.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 270
  • CommonYellowthroat6119b.jpg
    CommonYellowthroat6119b.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 212
Wonderful pics, as usual Neil! The P6000 is a terrific camera for the Zeiss 85T*Fl as well. I got this Bobolink and Common Yellowthroat last weekend and just loved how they came out.

Jerry,
I'm not surprised your pleased with these. I'm looking forward to the southward migration here so we start to see some birds again.
I would love to have the Zeiss 85 or Kowa 88 to play with too. More light and more resolution is always nice.
Neil.

High contrast digiscoping

I don't normally do any digiscoping through the heat of the day here in summer ( we are on track for the third hottest August on record here ) but yesterday Bob and I spent about 7 hours in the park digiscoping night herons. By midday the contrast was very high but we had 19 night herons ( a record count for us there ) trying to keep cool. I was impressed how the P6000 handled the challenge and I'll try this again next week with other cameras.
Neil

Nikon P6000 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 25-50x zoom and UCA adapter and Telescope Rail

Kowloon Park,
Hong Kong,
China.
August 2009

Attachments

• bc night heron bathe P6000 DSCN0004.jpg
    bc night heron bathe P6000 DSCN0004.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 134
  • bc night heron bathe P6000nw  DSCN0002.jpg
    bc night heron bathe P6000nw DSCN0002.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 162
  • bc night heron P6000 DSCN0326.jpg
    bc night heron P6000 DSCN0326.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 145
  • bc night heron imm bathe nw DSCN0210.jpg
    bc night heron imm bathe nw DSCN0210.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 139
  • flamingo bathe P6000 DSCN0391.jpg
    flamingo bathe P6000 DSCN0391.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 121
Neil, how does the P6000 work with the DCA and the new 50w zoom? I have the DCA and recently got the new zoom and have been wondering what camera to upgrade to. Currently I have a canon elf 850is and have to use a thread adapter which is a bit of a pain. Is there a reason you switched to the UCA?

Neil, how does the P6000 work with the DCA and the new 50w zoom? I have the DCA and recently got the new zoom and have been wondering what camera to upgrade to. Currently I have a canon elf 850is and have to use a thread adapter which is a bit of a pain. Is there a reason you switched to the UCA?

The 17 mm of Eye Relief of the new zoom results in more vignetting than with the 30x (20 mm ) and 45x ( 18 mm ). You can still get good results but you won't be able to use the "sweet spot" at 43 mm.
Swarovski sent me the new zoom, UCA and Telescope Rail for testing. The advantage of the UCA is for multiple cameras, including DSLRs. The UCA enables you to use more of the camera lens without vignetting, which is good for the longer zooms like the P6000.
Neil.

The UCA enables you to use more of the camera lens without vignetting, which is good for the longer zooms like the P6000.
This is also valid for both variants of the DCB. Compared to the UCA you loose the DSLR capability, but for compacts the UCA and the DCB are comparable (apart from the different handling).

Hmm, interesting. I don't especially want to drop a load of cash on a new adapter, I wonder which recent camera would work best with the DCA and the new zoom (I want to try out the old A590is). I like the new zoom, I've got some decent results with my current set-up (though sometimes I get some weird shadows if I'm not aligned just right). I too picked up a new telescope rail from Swaro, much better than the old plate since you can adjust the balance pt. on the fly. Thanks for the help.

Hmm, interesting. I don't especially want to drop a load of cash on a new adapter, I wonder which recent camera would work best with the DCA and the new zoom (I want to try out the old A590is). I like the new zoom, I've got some decent results with my current set-up (though sometimes I get some weird shadows if I'm not aligned just right). I too picked up a new telescope rail from Swaro, much better than the old plate since you can adjust the balance pt. on the fly. Thanks for the help.

The A590IS and the Nikon P5100 work very well with the DCA and zooms , with the A590 having the wider range of unvignetted views but the Nikon having the better screen and sharper lens. Also cameras with short , fast lenses can do a good job too eg Panasonic LX3 and Ricoh GX 100 or 200 .
Neil.

I have not been Digiscoping for about 4 months as busy on other things in the summer.
I have checked in here on numerous occasions, and seen those magnificent pictures from Neil with the P6000.

I know the Swarovski scope and new eyepiece, is superior to my Nikon ED82 and 30x or 50x DS eyepieces, so I know I could never match those pictures.

A week ago, I bought the P6000 to give it a try with my ED82.
If you have visited my Digiscoping pages www.digiscoping.lynandmalc.co.uk
You will know I made my own version of the Swarovski DCB adaptor to fit the ED82, which is fully adjustable in all directions.

How did the P6000 get on, well I am pleased to say that with both the 30x and 50x DS eyepieces, there is virtually no vignetting, just a slight movement of the zoom control on the camera eliminates it.

What about the pictures? I am very pleased with the few pictures I have taken over the weekend, I reckon more keepers than the P5100, and they are sharper too, and a nice colouration to them.

From the pictures I have taken using the 30x eyepiece, it seems that the "Sweet Spot" is around 15mm of camera zoom. I have yet to test with the 50X eyepiece in the field, it has worked well in the past with the P5100, so I see no reason it won't with the P6000, We will see.

Middle picture taken from about 15 metres, other two in excess of 25 metres There was some heat haze over the land.

Malc

Attachments

• DSCN0261ares.jpg
    DSCN0261ares.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN0245ares.jpg
    DSCN0245ares.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN0273ares.jpg
    DSCN0273ares.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 189
Tried out the Nikon ED82 with the 50x DS eyepiece today using the P6000. The good news is it pulls in some good pictures. The best pictures were with about 13mm of zoom on the camera.

Larger pictures can be seen on our P6000 web page here http://www.digiscoping.lynandmalc.co.uk/p6000page1.htm

Malc

The Godwits from at least 30 metres
The Grey Heron was from at least 45 metres

Attachments

• DSCN0426ares.jpg
    DSCN0426ares.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN0362ares.jpg
    DSCN0362ares.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN0368ares.jpg
    DSCN0368ares.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN0381ares.jpg
    DSCN0381ares.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 162
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back