• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Fuji X-E2 (1 Viewer)

Werner,
Of the two lenses, the 23 and the 35 which is your favorite and if possible do you mind commenting on what you like about each.
Frank

Last edited:
I prefer the 35/1,4 because the 23/1,4 shows small vignetting.
The 35 mm is much more cheaper than the 35 mm.

Today I got my Fuji X-T1. The autofocus is more precise and the basic sharpness is better as the X-E2. The viewfinder is very very good the finest I have ever seen.

rgds Werner

Werner,
Of the two lenses, the 23 and the 35 which is your favorite and if possible do you mind commenting on what you like about each.
Frank

Attached two photos of the combi.

rgds Werner

Hi Werner

I'm not sure if I'm just being obtuse, but how do you attach the camera lens to the ATX Eyepiece Modul (Okular Modul) - do you remove the eyecup (Augenmuschel).

I would like to try this, but don't want to damage any parts.

Thanks, P ;)

Werner,
Please excuse my ignorance but in your original post you state that you use the camera's autofocus primarily. I am just getting into digiscoping and unfortunately my spotting scope is in a location I won't have access to until later this spring, so no pictures yet. When you take pictures with your set-up, how important is it to have the spotting scopes focus spot on prior to using the cameras autofocus? I realize this may all become obvious when I have my camera and scope married together as you do, but right now I am trying to better understand how things work so that when I can use the scope I know better what to expect. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Frank

Hello Frank,

of course it is important! The focus spot must set exactly so the camera focus works correct and quick.
Therefore the excellent viewfinder of the Fuji is very helpful in 100% preview!

If you would like to make pictures on longer distance I would recommend you to take a compact camera like the Sony RX 100 MKII. But on distance approx. up to 50 meters I would recommend the Fuji.

Rgds Werner

... how important is it to have the spotting scopes focus spot on prior to using the cameras autofocus?

Last edited:
Werner,
Interesting to hear you say that. My digiscoping will be primarily larger birds of prey such as eagles and osprey at relatively longer distances and larger mammals such as grizzly and black bears, mountain goats and bighorn sheep, again at longer distances. Can you comment on why you favor the one camera over the other. Thanks,
Frank

With the compact Sony you have a better zoom as with the 35 mm on the Fuji.
You will get a better (lower) Iso as the Fuji i.e. you will get a shorter exposure time. The Sony has an optical stabilizer in the cam.

That´s the main reasons.

rgds Werner

Can you comment on why you favor the one camera over the other.

Thanks!

There is no adapter needed. The thread of the objective (52 mm) is the same as the thread of the scope (without the scope cap).
Have a look at the foto. Hope you understand what I mean.

rgds Werner

Wow excellent shots!

Sorry but what type of adapter you have to connect the eyepiece and lens?

Thanks!

There is no adapter needed. The thread of the objective (52 mm) is the same as the thread of the scope (without the scope cap).

rgds Werner

Thanks a lot! I understand now hahaha ;)

By the way, both lenses by Fuji has 52mm size lens thread?

Thanks!

rgds Werner

That's good to know Werner. I lot of the Nikon lenses are 52 mm as well.
Neil.

Two more pictures. The last at about 200 m distance.
The woodpecker Iso 2500 and 1/100!!

rgds Werner

Last edited:
Werner,
Are any of the pictures you have posted taken with the X-T1. Would love hear your thoughts on image quality as compared to your original Fuji. I assume the sensors are the same. Seems I saw somewhere where someone thought there was still a difference in image quality between the two cameras.

Werner,
Just saw you posted on the Panosonic thread and wasn't sure if you had seen my follow-up question. Just wondering how the new Fuji compares to the older one picture quality wise/ Thanks again for any assistance you may offer. Your pictures continue to impress!

Sorry!

The new Fuji X-T1 has a better and faster autofocus. You can feel that.
The display and the viewfinder are more precise.:t:

I work only with the manual focus.
Quality is the same as the X-E2.
Handling is better and faster with the X-E2. Not all improvements are better!

Attached some photos with the X-T1.

rgds Werner

Werner,
Just saw you posted on the Panosonic thread and wasn't sure if you had seen my follow-up question. Just wondering how the new Fuji compares to the older one picture quality wise/ Thanks again for any assistance you may offer. Your pictures continue to impress!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back