• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 350D w/Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofoc (1 Viewer)

geraleigh

Has anyone had any experience with the Canon 350 D camera (Digital Rebel XT) with the Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens? My questions include the quality of the photos as well as the ability to take hand-held shots with the setup. This lens is rather inexpensive and I'm concerned that the quality of the photos may reflect the low cost.

geraleigh said:
Has anyone had any experience with the Canon 350 D camera (Digital Rebel XT) with the Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens? My questions include the quality of the photos as well as the ability to take hand-held shots with the setup. This lens is rather inexpensive and I'm concerned that the quality of the photos may reflect the low cost.

I'm not familiar with the lens, but the vast majority of people on DPReview who own it are most praiseworthy. At the price, it seems to be an excellent lens.

geraleigh said:

From all the reviews this 70-300mm IS lens is a great improvement on the previous 75-300mm lenses, including the IS model. They were pretty abysmal in terms of sharpness, not as good as the old (1990) 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 USM lens (which I have had for many years), which has only just been withdrawn from the catalogue. The main critiscism of the new 70-300mm lens is that it is expensive for a non L lens, probably due to the IS. Personally I will keep my 70-200mm f4 L lens which with the 1.4 Mk II extender will take it up to 280mm at f5.6 with minimal loss of quality. (I only wish the 70-200 f4 L lens would come with IS as it is a superb lens).

Canon 70 - 700 USM IS - Pictures for review

I have a 70 - 300 zoom which I use on a 20D. The 300mm lens position times a 1.6 factor turns the lens into a 480 mm. I cannot afford "L" glasses for now, however, this lens is keeping me very happy.

The picts were taken at ISO 400/ using the IS 1. The pelican and the sea gull were shot from a moving boat. I hope this ilustrates its capabilities.

Best regards.

Leopoldo "Leo" Garcia / Venezuela

Attachments

• BARRED-ANTSHRIKE.jpg
    BARRED-ANTSHRIKE.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 440
  • LAUGHING-GULL.jpg
    LAUGHING-GULL.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 484
  • pelicano-wr.jpg
    pelicano-wr.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back