Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mojave Guide vs. McKinley

Old Monday 25th May 2015, 20:14   #1
Arielelf

Mojave Guide vs. McKinley

Has anyone tried the new Mojave Guide 8x42? I have not seen any reviews for it yet and would love to know how it compares to the McKinley 8x42, which is my current favorite binocular.
Old Tuesday 26th May 2015, 01:52   #2
Steve C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielelf View Post
Has anyone tried the new Mojave Guide 8x42? I have not seen any reviews for it yet and would love to know how it compares to the McKinley 8x42, which is my current favorite binocular.
I'll have a review of the Mojave Pro Guide HD and the regular Mojave BX-3 and direct comparisons to both generations of the McKinley up in a couple of days. Waiting on a bit of information from Leupold to clear up a couple of questions.

The short story is that it is pretty easy to see why the Pro Guide HD replaced the McKinley. The optics are pretty much the same level, maybe slight nod to the McKinley, but the overall package of the Pro Guide HD is a much superior product. The Pro Guide feels half the size of the McKinley.

I suppose I need to add my two Mojave specimens are both 10x42.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.

Last edited by Steve C : Tuesday 26th May 2015 at 01:54.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 26th May 2015, 04:40   #3
Arielelf

Thanks, I can't wait to read it. I have bought and sold many binoculars trying to find something that comes close to the detail and clarity of my Wife's 8x32 Conquest HD but with better color rendition. The latest was a Leica 8x32 BN with no luck. The Zeiss colors are extremely cold and washed out, whereas the McKinleys have incredible colors saturation, almost too much, but I like it. The McKinley is nearly as sharp as the Zeiss and I have yet to encounter any glare issues at all, which I cannot say for the Zeiss.
The only real issues I have with the McKinley are that they can be a little slow to the eye, meaning I sometimes have to settle into the image whereas the Zeiss is immediate to the eye. I did have some issues with blackouts when I first started using them in certain light, but do not seem to have them as often, not sure if I am subconsciously learning how to correct for this? I have also gotten used to the huge size and weight of the McKinleys, but I'm sure I could get used to something smaller and lighter too :)

My ultimate would be the Swarovsion 8x32 but I cannot afford that at the moment. For now I will have to make do with the McKinley unless something better comes along for less than $1000.00. Hoping that the Mojave Guide Pro HD would be the one.
Old Tuesday 26th May 2015, 04:46   #4
Arielelf

I had the 8x32 Mojave which, when I first bought it seemed to be the one. It seemed as sharp and sometimes even sharper than the Conquest but the more I used it the more I noticed I was getting headaches afterwards. I noticed that there are strange changes in sharpness across the field of view below the center line that I think may have been the issue. Also the field of view didn't feel as open as the Zeiss, even though their advertised fov's are similar.
Old Tuesday 26th May 2015, 14:07   #5
Steve C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielelf View Post
I had the 8x32 Mojave which, when I first bought it seemed to be the one. It seemed as sharp and sometimes even sharper than the Conquest but the more I used it the more I noticed I was getting headaches afterwards. I noticed that there are strange changes in sharpness across the field of view below the center line that I think may have been the issue. Also the field of view didn't feel as open as the Zeiss, even though their advertised fov's are similar.
Headaches are nearly always caused by out of collimation problems.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: