Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Fall migration by moonlight

Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 15:46   #1
Bear83

Fall migration by moonlight

Hello everyone, curious if anyone else has experienced large night migration of passerines using the moon for observation? Yesterday (9/17) our area in East Central Minnesota saw a line of rain / thunderstorms. Following the storm the bird activity was incredible as a multitude of species fed on insects (warblers, flycatchers, and other passerines). Once things turned dark you could hear a large # of flight calls filling the air. I setup a spotting scope at 30X and started counting birds transecting the moon. At only 55% illumination of the moon, I was getting 15-20 birds per minute. Curious if anyone else has counted birds in a similar fashion and what your results were. In the last year I've started using Birdcast as a supplement to what I experience in the field, and the data bears out the large flight last evening. Neat to experience, have a wonderful Fall migration everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mosaic_201809180210.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	674589  
Old Tuesday 18th September 2018, 17:08   #2
Simon Wates

I can't remember numbers exactly now as it was quite a few years ago but we only got 2 or 3 birds a minute and thought it was marvelous. This was for transaharian migrants in September leaving the south coast of Portugal. Your 15-20 per min seems to be a very heavy nocturnal migration to me, must have been exciting!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: