• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two fieldscopes on one tripod - my solution... (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I love my Nikon ED82 and have mostly used it with a fixed 30x DS eyepiece. For most situations it works great, but now and then I miss higher magnification. I also have a fixed 50x eyepiece and the 25-75x zoom, but it is not the most practical to change between the eyepieces everytime I want a low or a high magnification. And the zoom..it is nice opticaly, but the narrow field of view and the poor eye relief makes it difficult to use.

Because of this I bought a new Kowa 883 with the beautiful 25-60x zoom. It is a great package, but I like the Nikon ED82 with fixed eyepieces better. I miss the focus wheel on the Nikon and I think Nikon ED82 is more colour neutral.

Last year I had an idea of getting a plate which could hold two spottingscopes, but I never found a good one. But today I got an brilliant idea... :)

On my Manfrotto MVH500AH video head there is a filter thread on the side. So I took some pieces from a second tripod I have and fixed (screwed) them on the video head. Then I took my smallest ball head I have (Manfrotto 308) and fixed it to the screw. So now I can have both the ED50 with a fixed 16x eyepiece and the ED82 with a fixed 50x eyepiece (or the zoom) on the same tripod!!

I have not used this solution in the field yet, but I think it will work very fine. With this solution I got both low and rather high magnification with great field of view! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190327_080207709~3_3383.jpg
    IMG_20190327_080207709~3_3383.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20190327_091824650_6696.jpg
    IMG_20190327_091824650_6696.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20190327_091842553_7682.jpg
    IMG_20190327_091842553_7682.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
I love my Nikon ED82 and have mostly used it with a fixed 30x DS eyepiece. For most situations it works great, but now and then I miss higher magnification. I also have a fixed 50x eyepiece and the 25-75x zoom, but it is not the most practical to change between the eyepieces everytime I want a low or a high magnification. And the zoom..it is nice opticaly, but the narrow field of view and the poor eye relief makes it difficult to use.

Because of this I bought a new Kowa 883 with the beautiful 25-60x zoom. It is a great package, but I like the Nikon ED82 with fixed eyepieces better. I miss the focus wheel on the Nikon and I think Nikon ED82 is more colour neutral.

Last year I had an idea of getting a plate which could hold two spottingscopes, but I never found a good one. But today I got an brilliant idea... :)

On my Manfrotto MVH500AH video head there is a filter thread on the side. So I took some pieces from a second tripod I have and fixed (screwed) them on the video head. Then I took my smallest ball head I have (Manfrotto 308) and fixed it to the screw. So now I can have both the ED50 with a fixed 16x eyepiece and the ED82 with a fixed 50x eyepiece (or the zoom) on the same tripod!!

I have not used this solution in the field yet, but I think it will work very fine. With this solution I got both low and rather high magnification with great field of view! :)

I heard of a sea watcher somewhere with a similar rig. One side held the scope which was used to scan the waves and the other a big lens or video camera focussed in the same area so they could immediately record anything of interest without having to mess around for too long switching from one system to the other.

Good Birding

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back