• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astro-Adapter for ATM/ATS or STM/STS (1 Viewer)

Tringa45

Europe
A few years ago the dealer, Jülich in Bonn re-manufactured the original Swarovski astro-adapter with Swarovski's approval. I have one of these but AFAIK it is no longer available.

The bayonet on this adapter https://shop.zeiss.de/Sports Optics/ZEISS-Astro-Adapter-zid4047006834501?tracking=searchterm: for the Zeiss Gavia appears to be very similar to the Swarovski adapter.

There have been reports that the bayonets on newer Vortex scopes are compatible with Swarovski, so perhaps the Gavia and the Vortex scopes come from the same OEM in Japan (Kamakura?) and the Gavia adapter could be a solution for those wanting to use astro eyepieces on the above Swarovski scopes.

John

Hi,

Intercon Spacetec makes one... but quite expensive...

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/fe...ter-1-25-fuer-swarovski-ats/atm/sts/stm-.html

Joachim

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Apart from the tightening screw it looks almost identical to my Jülich adapter.

The advantage of this type of adapter is that it allows a rapid change of astro eyepieces. This also applies to the Kowa 88 astro adapter.

The Gavia adapter appears to have a grub screw similar to the old Baader Diascope adapter. Perhaps they expect Gavia users to buy several adapters?

Even worse was the original Zeiss Diascope astro-adapter, which was very slow to deploy. No chance there of using a long focal length eyepiece as a finder and then switching to higher magnification. Further evidence for another contributor's theory that the optics manufacturers let their apprentices design the accessories.

John

Hi John,

actually for the Kowa 883 Teleskop Express makes both kinds of music, erm adapters - one with a grub screw which helps with tight focus on some eyepieces and a normal one with the normal screw, which is easier to use but offers less infocus.

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

On a binocular I guess we'd call it focus overtravel and on the Kowa 883 it is rather restricted. With the astro-adapter with the knurled screws, which blocks about 6 mm of in-focus, I cannot achieve infinity focus with either a 6 mm Vixen NLV or a 7,5 mm Eudiascopic. The Jülich/Swarovski adapter on the ATM 65, similarly 6 mm thick, allows infinity focus with both.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back