• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Loch of Kinnordy (1 Viewer)

Friday 6 April 2018

A very pleasant couple of hours at Kinnordy this afternoon. Plenty of activity: Pair of Marsh Harriers quartering; Pair of Red Kite; Osprey; Sparrowhawk; and my first Sand Martins of the year. Still rather chilly but the birds are telling us its spring.

Had a pleasant visit to Kinnordy this afternoon, and got my best pictures yet of a Marsh Harrier when he came across the water.

I'm rather at a loss to understand why the perspex sides have been removed from the raft?

I was really surprised not to see any Swallows or Martins around. So far I've only seen two Swallows in the town here. And there weren't many ducks in view at all. Plenty of Greylag.

On my way home I went via the Sand Martin bank at Lintrathen and was pleased to see quite a number flying around.

The only sour note, despite a notice in the car park, spotted a guy with a couple of tots and a dog off lead. He did put him back on when I asked him too, but wasn't too happy about it. Guess he'll have removed it once I was out of sight.

Please note the reserve is closed after a body of a man was found at the reserve early this morning. Not sure when it will reopen but just passing on the info

Been at Kinnordy the last 3 weekends. The first time there was hardly anything to be seen as it was the day after a shoot.

Last week a few more birds in evidence but not much came close to the hide. Just the usual few Mallards and Mute Swans really.

What a difference this week though. With not just Mute Swans but Whoopers back in some numbers and hundreds of Greylag Geese now arrived too. A lovely Goosander came in to the bay by the hide, also a Cormorant.

It appears the Bittern is back and a Bearded Tit reported too.

Such a shame the feeders don't seem to be getting filled regularly - all empty today!

On my way there, up on the Kaims of Airlie road, spotted my first Red Kite for quite a while. Nice start to the day that!

Attachments

• BF Goosander 201018 S0110027.jpg
    BF Goosander 201018 S0110027.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 52
  • BF Greylag 201018 S0300106.jpg
    BF Greylag 201018 S0300106.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 49
  • BF Greylag flyby 20102018 S0390162.jpg
    BF Greylag flyby 20102018 S0390162.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 48
  • BF Mallard 20102018 S0620284.jpg
    BF Mallard 20102018 S0620284.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 51
  • BF Whooper Swan 20102018 S0280101.jpg
    BF Whooper Swan 20102018 S0280101.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 61
I don't visit Kinnordy as much as I should do, but will be going a bit more once it starts to warm up a bit, a great place to see birds and also mammals like Otters and even Beaver(I am yet to see one).
26119408438_b9e607d534_c.jpg

This Gadwall is not rare, but unusual round here.
This hen Pheasant was creeping around in the undergrowth near the East Hide

Last edited:
Lots of action from the Marsh Harriers and Ospreys today.

Tree Sparrows and Woodpeckers at the feeding station, fortunately the feeders were filled!!

On my way home saw a Red Kite, the seem to be becoming a more regular sighting now!!!

A good raptor session at Kinnorday today with action from both Marsh Harriers, Osprey and Red Kite.

Male Garganey also present.... just gone to the west end I was told on arrival. Typical. Later Bob McC set off to the Swamp Hide to try and find it again. Only for Gus to appear and see it snoozing on the bog bean in front of us!!! Ooops! LOL

Returned via Lintrathen and got Sand Martins and Great Crested Grebe for my year list too.

Sitting in the hide yesterday, two male Orange-tipped Butterflies flew past. A lifer for me!!

A bit quieter than last week maybe... but still plenty of action, especially from the Marsh Harrier and a couple of Ospreys.

Sitting in the hide yesterday, two male Orange-tipped Butterflies flew past. A lifer for me!!

A bit quieter than last week maybe... but still plenty of action, especially from the Marsh Harrier and a couple of Ospreys.

Still a Ruff at the loch Delia, also Blackcaps and Sedge Warblers singing away this morning.
There are a couple of Brambling lingering as well as a Whooper Swan.
Also had an Otter hunting under the bogbean again.
Last night there were around 500 plus Sand Martins feeding low above the water, great to watch.

Iceland Gull at the loch tonight, my first one of the year. Feeding in a potato field next to the loch and dropping in to wash and preen.

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 51
Mmmmm. Nice one Gus. And a super picture that too.

It's a long time since I've seen one of these guys.

Something appears to have happened to the Marsh Harrier nest. They seem to be building another somewhere nearer to the Swamp Hide area. Never saw the female today.

Things were rather quiet on the water with only a couple or three Mallards, a Coot or two and Moorhen. Half a dozen swans and a single Redshank.

Attachments

• BF Marsh Harrier stick 250519S0291147.jpg
    BF Marsh Harrier stick 250519S0291147.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 41
  • BF Coot S0141060.jpg
    BF Coot S0141060.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 28
got a red kite at long last,i was watching the female marsh harrier which was showing a lot from the gullery hide when i noticed another large raptor over by the building,1 red kite and a self found bird too,a water rail put in a very brief appearance,other birds seen snipes in flight/14 canada geese/wigeon/tufted ducks /gadwalls/mutes with4 cygnets /lapwings/1 greylag there is a deep flood just before the boardwalk at the swamp hide and just after it

Attachments

• harrier.jpg
    harrier.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 8
  • kinnordy20210924_091617813.jpg
    kinnordy20210924_091617813.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 8
Are the hides open now K?

I really must try and get along there before too long if they are.

I had to go to Forfar yesterday so thought I'd call in at Kinnordy on my way home.

Car park full of contractor vehicles and fenced off. A notice said that parking is suspended during working hours (it looked like they might be working, even though it was Sunday). Can find no information about this on line.

So I went to the west end and had my lunch in the car there.

Oystercatchers, Lapwings, Mallards and some Greylags.

After that I headed for Lintrathen, but everything was very distant. Herring Gulls, Mute Swans, Cormorant, Tufted Duck. Heard Willow Warblers and Chiffchaff, but couldn't see them.

There was some discarded fishing tackle in the reeds in front of the hide.

BF Greylag 1 May 2022.jpg

SWT Fishing line.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back