Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mr. Saul's (Tablas) Fantail, Mr. Menage's (Tablas) Drongo & General Arolas's Handsom

Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 08:16   #1
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Mr. Saul's (Tablas) Fantail, Mr. Menage's (Tablas) Drongo & General Arolas's Handsom

--
As in: Mr. Saul's (Tablas) Fantail, Mr. Menage's (Tablas) Drongo & General Arolas's Handsome Sunbird

Here´s some possibly new, additional info on three Eponyms on Birds from the Philippines …

sauli as in:
● the debated Tablas Fantail (Cyanonympha) Rhipidura (cyaniceps) sauli BOURNS & WORCESTER 1894 (here) as "Rhipidura sauli":
Quote:
We have named this species in honor of our friend Geo. M. Saul Esq., of Ilo Ilo, to whom we are greatly indebted for much kindness and courtesy shown to us during both of our visits to the Philippine islands.
... most likely the Irish merchant George Medhurst Saul (1851- 1928), Resident in Iloilo, on Panay (in the Philippines), partner of the firm Hoskyn and Company (who sold just about everything).

Born 28 July 1851, married to Damiana Robles y Figuerroa (widow of the first American vice Consul Wright Boott Loring) … and Mr Saul died 8 May 1928.

"Ilo ilo" was one of the first International Ports in the Visaya's, (today the City of Iloilo, in the Province Iloilo, on Panay Island), still today an important business town in the Philippines.

Also see Worchester's The Philippine Islands and their people : a record of personal observation and experience, with a short summary of the more important facts in the history of the archipelago (1899), here ( p.224)

This also lead us to Mr. Menage (mentioned repeatedly in the Introduction, pp.5-6), Member of the Minnesota Academy of Natural Sciences, commemorated in (for example):

menagei
● the debated Tablas Drongo Dicrurus (bracteatus/hottentottus) menagei BOURNS & WORCESTER 1894 (same Paper, p.15) … also see: pp.10-11, 14.
= the US real estate speculator Louis Francois Menage (18501924), born 3 August 1850, in Providence, Rhode Island, USA … and onwards (see Wiki, here), looks fairly reliable.

The same Paper also gives us:

arolasi as in:
● the subspecies Aethopyga bella arolasi BOURNS & WORCESTER 1894 (p.17) as "Aethopyga arolasi":
Quote:
We have named this beautiful sun-bird in honor of Brigadier General Juan Arolas, for many years governor of the Sulu group, to whom we are indebted for much personal kindness and for assistance without which our work in Sulu would have been almost impossible.
= Brigadier General Juan Arólas y Esplugues, Gobernador de Melilla 1894 ... etc., etc., (possible additions, here, in Spanish).

If anything is added, or could be found, following whatever is told in that Spanish, is unkown to me. As of now his birth year as well as death seems unknown ... ? However a Brigadier General shouldn´t be that hard to find. In my experience, such "important" people are mostly "out there". Anyone (Spanish knowing) feel like giving it a try, good luck!

Note: None of these are any of "my guys" (checked any deeper). In my MS only the former, Mr. Saul, is mentioned, but only in context, briefly, among others.

In any case, enjoy!

Björn
--

Last edited by Calalp : Thursday 14th December 2017 at 13:48. Reason: full thread title (that for some reason didn't fit in!
Old Saturday 15th June 2019, 08:58   #2
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quick return to ... Brigadier General Arolas's Handsome Sunbird

A Photo of Don Juan Arolas y Esplugues has surfaced, and is now (i.e. from 2019-01-18) to be seen in a blog by Rafael María Molina, here.

The same Author has also written earlier about Colonel/Coronel Arolas y Esplugues; here, here and here.

Note; Molina writes the Arolas part of his Surname, without the accent (cirkumflex) ... not like I wrote it in the preceding post.

Still no years found, neither on his birth, nor his death. To me (not understanding Spanish) it looks like ha was from Valencia, on the East coast of Spain.

However, enjoy!

/B
Old Saturday 15th June 2019, 23:18   #3
Paul Clapham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
Molina writes the Arolas part of his Surname, without the accent (cirkumflex) ... not like I wrote it in the preceding post.
Yes, the stress would naturally go on that syllable in Spanish so it's unnecessary when writing the name.
2020 (HBW (Dec 2018 snapshot) -- 18.4% of 10967); 2020 (BLI Version 3 -- 18.2% of 11126)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: