• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lapland Longspur (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure what call you mean, but I've never heard a Lapland Longspur call like anything that can be heard on the recording (they're pretty common on migration in southern Finland). I believe that the loudest calls ("dsvit") could be made by the Starling, which is definitely singing at 14-15s. Alternatively, they sound somewhat similar also to a Hawfinch
http://www.tarsiger.com/mp3/antero/20070410_1025.mp3

For the fun of it, I'll try to id the other birds that are in the background (roughly in the order of appearance, not all are 100%):

Herring Gull
Linnet (could be a Greenfinch)
Song Thrush
Black-headed Gull
Meadow Pipit
Reed Bunting
Blackbird
Jackdaw
Great Tit
Coal Tit

Last edited:
Hello CAU, thanks for your reaction.

Recording the previous sound, I had been listening to several of the species you mentioned and hearing this sound I considered a trush or a starling but could not be with it, nor identify it positively. The sound itself had been very persistent, not connected to the Starlings further off. It remained like that.
A little while later, I saw a bunting flying off and passing me. This bird was seen upon its plumage and I heard the tsik tsik sound. While flying off, I made a new set of recordings. After that, the sound and the bird was gone.
I attach a recording with singing and calling Lapland Longspur.

Attachments

• 026 Semi-palmated Sandpiper.1.mp3
    175.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
This recording shows how the call is displayed over a longer period of time. There is no Starling with it whatsoever. Closer recording equally gave me the impression that the bird was in fact only displaying its call.

Attachments

• IJsgors 0244.mp3
    794.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
This recording shows how the call is displayed over a longer period of time. There is no Starling with it whatsoever. Closer recording equally gave me the impression that the bird was in fact only displaying its call.

Ok, the calls are not made by the Starling. The Lapland Longspur calls that I'm used to hearing on migration are a dry "du-du-du" (somewhat Linnet-like, but much dryer) and a clear "diy" (reminds much of a Snow Bunting). Sometimes they also have Reed Bunting-like calls (a bit similar to those that can be heard in the background of the first recording). But perhaps they have even more different calls.

Mostly, I would not have been so eager to sort this thing out as much as I do right now.
When hearing this bird, I just continued, birding the area, being patient to sort this out later. Not to keen on it at all.
Frustratingly, I heard this unknown call with the bunting, passing by and kept the crown stripe, headpattern and stripes over its back as well as its streaky upperbreast and difuse yellow ish underside fitting for Yellow-breasted Bunting.
And why?..12 th of September on the isle of Vlieland, the exact same location, I had a smallish dark sooty faced Bunting with large white upperwingcovertpatches, dark backed with little contrasting stripes, very little white in its outer tailfeathers and immediate recalling sharp pennetrating tsik call (not so blunt as the subject recordings). Had the calls first (with 'see' notes as well), expecting a good bunting. Bird came a bit later.

With this kind of ID problems intermixed, I feel all sooty myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back