Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 21st April 2011, 14:52   #76
Tri-Counties Birder
AKA The Portland Naturalist

The Wood Sand still present this afternoon, on the workings.

BF Supporter 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st April 2011, 14:53   #77
RJSeargent
Birding at the taxpayer's expense. Head down, bins up!

Having dipped the Ring Ouzel at Staines Moor this morning I decided to re-visit the patch following a brief spell in work. Met Sean Foote and Johnny Allan at Tice's. Sean had been there for some time but could relocate the target bird initially.

Luckily he found the Wood Sandpiper on the workings and I took both visitors to the viewing area adjacent to the reedbeds where the bird showed well eventually. 8 LRPs also present along with 1 Dunlin, 10 Common Tern, 1 Reed Bunting, 1 Sedge Warbler and 2 Reed Warblers.

Rich

Last edited by RJSeargent : Thursday 21st April 2011 at 16:10.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd April 2011, 08:58   #78
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

The Wood Sandpiper was showing very well on the workings this morning, in fact easily the best views I've had of the species. Also 2 Reed Warbler, at least 6 LRP, 12 Common Tern, & at least 10 Whitethroat.

John.
Old Friday 22nd April 2011, 13:15   #79
mattytheduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyH View Post
The Wood Sandpiper was showing very well on the workings this morning, in fact easily the best views I've had of the species. Also 2 Reed Warbler, at least 6 LRP, 12 Common Tern, & at least 10 Whitethroat.

John.
Sorry to have missed you there this morning, John. Did bump into Graham who said he was unable to locate the Wood Sand. Plenty of Whitethroat singing in the hedgerow though, along with one or two Lessers. Also one or two Garden Warbler, though they were very elusive. Also a few House Martin in amongst the Sand Martins.

Matt.
Old Saturday 23rd April 2011, 12:49   #80
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

First Swift of the year at Tices this morning seen by me & Kev Duncan, but no sign of the Wood Sand. Also a Garden Warbler along the bank in full song in addition to the now present Summer migrants & residents.

John.
Old Sunday 24th April 2011, 09:24   #81
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Excellent early morning shift today produced a Winter plumage Black Tailed Godwit on the workings until 07:15 when it was lost to view. Also had a fly through Hobby, 1st of the year, & male Yellow Wagtail on the workings.

John.
Old Monday 25th April 2011, 08:28   #82
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

This morning's tally;12 Common Tern, 2 Lapwing, min of 5 LRP, Buzzard, Little Grebe, Skylark, Reed Bunting, 2 Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler, 4 Blackcap, 4 Chiffchaff, 10 Whitethroat, 2 Reed Warbler, Gadwall, & min of 20 Sand Martin.
Also had brief views of a poss Common Sand that disappeared behind an island on the workings. Still no Greenshank or Ringed Plover yet!

John.
Old Monday 25th April 2011, 20:52   #83
Allan Hobbs
Body in the UK, heart in South Africa

First trip to Tices this year, late morning

5 Common Tern, Garden Warbler, Chiffchaff, Whitethroat, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, 1 Lapwing, Skylark and two Roe Deer.

It was really nice to be back on such a lovely day.

Allan
Old Tuesday 26th April 2011, 19:24   #84
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Quick evening visit 18:45 - 19:45 tonight produced good no's of Hirundines, mainly Sand Martins, over the workings, 8 Common Terns (a pair observed mating), 2 LRP, Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler & 2 Reed Warblers.

John.
Old Wednesday 27th April 2011, 13:56   #85
RJSeargent
Birding at the taxpayer's expense. Head down, bins up!

A mid afternoon trip that saw me tick off yet another new birder! Whitethroats and Blackcaps 'alles űber die platz' with my first Lesser Whitethroat on the embankment. Surprisingly only 1 Willow Warbler and 1 Chiffchaff singing on site although there were 3 Reed Warblers and 1 Sedge Warbler singing in the silt pond reed beds. 4 LRPs and 1 Lapwing seen and 1 Redshank heard but not located. Wildfowl numbers remain static with 5 Gadwall, 8 Tufted Duck, 1 drake Shoveler and 1 Greylag amongst the Canada Geese; the latter with 2 goslings.

Birds over included 1 Little Egret and 1 Buzzard with many Sand Martins. Black-headed Gulls were seen mating and Common Tern numbers increased to 10.

Rich

Last edited by RJSeargent : Wednesday 27th April 2011 at 16:38.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 28th April 2011, 11:42   #86
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Day off today so spent the morning at Tices & was rewarded with a good selection of birds. Summer plumaged Dunlin & a Common Sandpiper were present on the workings along with a min of 4 LRP's. Three Reed & 1 Sedge Warbler singing in the reedbed along with the omnipresent Reed Buntings. Raptors seen were Buzzard & Sparrowhawk, other species included 2 Garden Warblers, 4 Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, 8 Whitethroat, 2 Stock Dove, 9 Common Tern, 2 Little Grebe, & a very late drake Teal on the silt pond.

John.
Old Friday 29th April 2011, 08:19   #87
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

This morning's watch very similar to yesterday, the Dunlin & Common Sand still present along with 5 LRP & an increase in Common Tern no's to 12. I see that a large passage of Bar Tailed Godwits has been noted at other SE sites this morning, maybe one/some might drop in later!
Interestingly I heard what I thought was a calling Redshank this morning which in fact turned out to be mimicry by a Song Thrush!

John.
Old Saturday 30th April 2011, 08:53   #88
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

No sign of the Dunlin this morning but did have a Green Sand which flew from the meadow onto the silt pool. Common Sand still present on the workings along with min of 4 LRP. Also noted 3 Shoveler this morning, the first I've had for a few weeks.

John.
Old Sunday 1st May 2011, 07:56   #89
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Good Wader tally this morning, 3 Common Sands, 1 Green Sand, 2 Lapwing, 6 LRP, & the first Ringed Plover of the Spring on the workings. Also a full set of Hirundines, 30+ Sand martin, 1 House Martin, 2 Swallows, & 2 Swift. Other highlight this morning was 3 male Wheatears on the meadow.

John.

Last edited by JohnnyH : Sunday 1st May 2011 at 08:07. Reason: Forgot Wheatears oops!
Old Monday 2nd May 2011, 09:41   #90
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Spectacular morning at Tices today, arrived at 06:15 to find Grey Plover, (a site first I think), Greenshank, Ringed Plover, 6 LRP, 2 Common Sands, & Green Sand on the workings. A Peregrine flew through, & singles of Yellow & White Wagtails were also found on the workings. Happy with my morning's work, I was walking back along the bank when 5 Whimbrel flew over me into the workings. I dashed back & located them after a search. Sadly they flew off North at approx 09:10, however I then found 2 Female Wheatears on the meadow.
Days like this make all those early morning starts worthwhile!

John.
Old Monday 2nd May 2011, 19:44   #91
johnclark50

Quote:
Spectacular morning at Tices today, arrived at 06:15 to find Grey Plover, (a site first I think), Greenshank, Ringed Plover, 6 LRP, 2 Common Sands, & Green Sand on the workings. A Peregrine flew through, & singles of Yellow & White Wagtails were also found on the workings. Happy with my morning's work, I was walking back along the bank when 5 Whimbrel flew over me into the workings. I dashed back & located them after a search. Sadly they flew off North at approx 09:10, however I then found 2 Female Wheatears on the meadow.
Days like this make all those early morning starts worthwhile!

John.
Great morning, John. I didn't manage to get down today. Does anyone know if the Grey Plover stayed all day. What sort of plumage was it in?

John
Old Monday 2nd May 2011, 19:50   #92
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Hi John,

It wasn't there when I went back this afternoon after seeing a report of a Barwit, only the Greenshank was present on the workings. The Plover was moulting into Summer plumage.

Cheers,

John.
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2011, 12:02   #93
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Greenshank still present on the workings this morning, also 2 Common Sands, 4 LRP, & female Wheatear.

John.
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2011, 19:34   #94
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Return visit this afternoon added a Yellow Wagtail on the workings, Greenshank still present on the meadow.

John.
Old Thursday 5th May 2011, 10:46   #95
johnclark50

Tices meadow 5th May

Fairly quiet 1015-1100 hrs this morning. A summer plumage Dunlin and adult Lesser Black-backed Gull the only migrants about. At least 9 Common Terns, 33 Black-headed Gulls, 4+ LRPs and 2 prs of Canadas with broods of 2 yg each.

John
Old Thursday 5th May 2011, 19:23   #96
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

18:00 - 19:00 today, Dunlin, Common Sandpiper, c6 LRP, 11 Common Tern, 3 Reed Warbler, Garden Warbler, 2 Lapwing.

John.
Old Friday 6th May 2011, 18:22   #97
bbsbirder

With heavy shower forecast overnight and on Saturday evening and the wind from the south could it be a good weekend for waders at Tices?

Kevin

Ps A Spoonbill from Pulborough Brooks would be nice.

Last edited by bbsbirder : Friday 6th May 2011 at 18:47.
Old Saturday 7th May 2011, 11:21   #98
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

No Spoonbill this morning I'm afraid, waited till the rain subsided & then headed down to the workings. After a search 2 Ringed Plovers were located, along with a Common Sand, 5 LRP, & 2 Lapwing.

John.
Old Saturday 7th May 2011, 19:07   #99
bbsbirder

Quote:
No Spoonbill this morning I'm afraid, waited till the rain subsided & then headed down to the workings. After a search 2 Ringed Plovers were located, along with a Common Sand, 5 LRP, & 2 Lapwing.

John.
John

I was also dissappointed to find only 2 new Ringed Plovers during my search of wader spots in Northwest Surrey today. But was lucky to find a wandering Glossy Ibis in Bucks (the first since 1886) after a tip off one had left Dinton Pastures in Berkshire this morning.
Its only c24km north of Tices Meadow so you never know!

Would be the first for Surrey I think since 2007,14 flying over Addlestone (not sure if this was BBRC passed) before this the last was back in the 1800's.

Kevin
Old Sunday 8th May 2011, 08:18   #100
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

06:00 - 07:00
Very quiet again early this morning, no waders on show apart from 4 LRP. Best birds were 2 Cuckoos that flew over NW at approx 06:15.

John.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: