Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Arizona ducks in summer

Old Tuesday 23rd June 2015, 02:30   #1
arofan.gregory

Arizona ducks in summer

I went to the Sweetwater Wetlands after work today, and saw eight ducks which, from their long bills and red legs I identified as Northern Shovellers. As I understand it, these ducks are not typically here in the summer. Also, in the hearby Silverbell Lake, I saw what I think was a Canvasback, in with a mixed flock of ducks - another one which seems out-of-season to me. Do we have populations of ducks which remain resident, or which migrate at odd times of year in SE Arizona?

It may be that I am just a bit ignorant about migration patterns (I have never birded in a place this far south before...). If you can help explain this, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old Tuesday 23rd June 2015, 15:14   #2
Bewildered

First off, there's more characteristic things to identify shovelers by, but that's okay (from your description I'd hesitate to call them shovelers just yet).

Secondly, ducks, and some other species will sometimes skip migration when they're unfit to breed. i.g. have an injury, sickness, etc. Checking eBird, it looks like some stay the summer at Sweetwater regularly. This year people have only reported one bird but it's quite possible there are more.

I'm not sure what the status of Canvasback in AZ is, so I can't really help in that department.
Old Thursday 2nd July 2015, 05:42   #3
arofan.gregory

Honestly, I am not too solid on the id of the shovellers. But it does seem like some of the local ducks do not migrate. Your explanation makes some sense. There is a regular group trip to Sweetwater with a local expert - probably best to get some expert guidance. Cheers!
Old Saturday 4th July 2015, 05:17   #4
BruceH
BF Supporter 2019

There are about 50 American Widgeons that spend the winter at the Road Runner Park city pond in north Phoenix. They are usually all gone by the end of April. Last summer was an exception where one male remained the whole summer. I was still spotting him in the early fall before the others made their annual return. I guess he did not want any more heat this summer because all the Widgeons were gone from the park by the end of April this year. I have wondered why that little guy did not make the trip north last year.

There are also about 10 Canada Geese that I will see at the same park in the summer. They do move around and will be there for a few days, disappear, then return. Someone told me that hold over geese are becoming more common.

Attached is a photo of my Widgeon buddy taken June 21, 2014. He was already starting to go into a eclipse plumage and it continued into the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1410_Cropped.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	550133  
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

Last edited by BruceH : Saturday 4th July 2015 at 05:23.

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th July 2015, 15:51   #5
BruceH
BF Supporter 2019

Ring-necked Duck Hold Over

Last year I found a lone American Widgeon hold over at one of the Phoenix city parks (as posted above). This weekend I found a lone Ring-necked duck that failed to leave with the rest.

This picture was taken yesterday (July 26, 2015) at Granada Park in north central Phoenix. The other ducks were Mallards, hybrids, and domestic geese.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000400 Resized.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	552600  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000401 Resized.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	552601  
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation