Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Canon SX70 .... September

Old Monday 1st October 2018, 16:23   #26
crazyfingers

Here is a link to some sample photos from the SX70

https://www.photographyblog.com/revi...review_images/

It's not clear to me how to evaluate these. Do those at F/6.3 indicate that they were taken at maximum zoom?

Many seem softer/fuzzier than I'd have hoped.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd October 2018, 08:56   #27
Steve McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinFold View Post
Completely guessing, but "telephoto" and "wide"? I've seen consumer cameras use this sort of labelling.

Almost seems like a preset switch (to switch modes of some sort) or just a second focusing paddle (so you don't have to use the one of the top of the camera?).

But 100% conjecture on my part.

I wonder if any of that change to the barrel means they may have added a ring focuser? If it worked anywhere near like my RX100, that might be handy.
At first glance, there seems to be a control ring on the SX70 lens housing. But other cameras with such rings, have grooves all the way around, not just in two small areas, as this one does. I have found no mention anywhere, of there being a lens control ring on this model. Typically, these rings control both manual focus and zoom, with a selector switch. I think that the control feature with the "T" and "W" on it, is a 2nd zoom control. There is a mention in the specifications of a zoom switch being added to the lens. That's all I can say about it at the present. But since these features are not on the SX60 and also since the SX70 is lighter weight, it may be a different lens.
Old Sunday 21st October 2018, 18:35   #28
John-W

This Thread appears to have dried up...has anyone tried it and got any sample pics to share?
Old Sunday 21st October 2018, 20:36   #29
crazyfingers

Not available until November.

Old Sunday 21st October 2018, 22:15   #30
John-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
Not available until November.
Okay, thanks for the heads-up...my SX50 is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I'm hoping this model may be the natural successor.
Old Monday 22nd October 2018, 00:35   #31
Steve McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-W View Post
This Thread appears to have dried up...has anyone tried it and got any sample pics to share?
There seems to have been one website reviewer who took a few photos with one, but the images are poor quality and not sharply-focused. They would be of no value in determining anything about the camera. The Canon website has what they say are photos and videos from it, but there's another camera shown on the same page and it's unclear which of them produced the pictures. I am not in a big rush to be an early adopter. I will wait for some time, after many samples are posted by numerous users. The big question, is if the lens is different and improved over the one they used on the SX60.
Old Monday 22nd October 2018, 00:58   #32
John-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There seems to have been one website reviewer who took a few photos with one, but the images are poor quality and not sharply-focused. They would be of no value in determining anything about the camera. The Canon website has what they say are photos and videos from it, but there's another camera shown on the same page and it's unclear which of them produced the pictures. I am not in a big rush to be an early adopter. I will wait for some time, after many samples are posted by numerous users. The big question, is if the lens is different and improved over the one they used on the SX60.
I agree there, Steve, would have to be an improvement or otherwise get an SX60.
Old Monday 22nd October 2018, 02:37   #33
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Both the SX60 as well as the SX70 have the same 65x lens, 21mm to 1350mm equivalent in 35mm format.
The lens' wider angle capability is a real feature, afaik, none of the other big zooms go wider than 24mm equivalent. However, I'd be stunned if Canon designed a new lens in that unusual size just for the SX70, so improvements are almost certainly not in the lens, but in the processor, the display and perhaps the stabilization as well as the sensor.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 22nd October 2018, 03:01   #34
crazyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-W View Post
Okay, thanks for the heads-up...my SX50 is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I'm hoping this model may be the natural successor.
I have 3 SX50's. Tried the SX60 and returned it for poor IQ next to the SX50. If the Sx70 can't match the IQ of the Sx50 at the long end of zoom i suppose i can wait longer but like you, mine are also getting old.

Old Monday 22nd October 2018, 23:05   #35
Steve McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Both the SX60 as well as the SX70 have the same 65x lens, 21mm to 1350mm equivalent in 35mm format.
The lens' wider angle capability is a real feature, afaik, none of the other big zooms go wider than 24mm equivalent. However, I'd be stunned if Canon designed a new lens in that unusual size just for the SX70, so improvements are almost certainly not in the lens, but in the processor, the display and perhaps the stabilization as well as the sensor.
The SX70 lens has a gripping ring around the housing and a zoom-control rocker-switch, that are not on the SX60 lens. So it is different to that extent, with new electronics and wiring added. So it's possible that other changes to the lens may have been made. Sometimes, just a small change to the position of one lens element, could correct flawed performance. Fine-tuning in functions such as back-focus and front-focus, can make a big difference. Canon has had four years and every opportunity to improve the lens. Maybe they will do that and make their customers happy? Is there any reason they would revive a line of cameras that has lain fallow for that much time and not do that little bit required to make it a better product? Maybe they put the money they saved by removing the hotshoe, into improving the lens?

I'm sure Canon is well aware of the criticism of the lens performance of the SX60. Would they repeat that mistake and deliberately produce another money-losing model, which would affect their overall reputation? Of course, I'm assuming that the company is guided by a collective rationale.

Last edited by Steve McDonald : Monday 22nd October 2018 at 23:10.
Old Tuesday 23rd October 2018, 02:07   #36
crazyfingers

If Canon was to bring back the SX50 lens, couple it with the same image stabelization, add an improved low light capable 12mp sensor, add the new LCD and viewfinder, and new digitizer, wifi, and keep the overall functionality of the SX50 like the 2x teleconverter, frame assis, etc, in a small portable size of the the Sx50, I think they would have a second legendary camera for birders and general wildlife enthusiasts.

I do consider the SX50 to be legendary for it's time. It's time that they keep what was great and upgrade what is not so great by today's standards.

That said, I still hope to be shockingly surprised that they fixed the lens from the SX60.

Last edited by crazyfingers : Tuesday 23rd October 2018 at 02:14.

Old Friday 2nd November 2018, 01:26   #37
crazyfingers

So it's November. I wonder when they will be available.

Checking Amazon US, no listings even for pre-order.

Old Friday 2nd November 2018, 09:28   #38
Steve McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
So it's November. I wonder when they will be available.

Checking Amazon US, no listings even for pre-order.
Amazon is now saying, December 12th. That old virtue of patience will have to be substituted for eagerness for awhile.
Old Friday 2nd November 2018, 11:33   #39
John-W

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powersh...rds=canon+sx70

Amazon pre-order, $549...
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 19:16   #40
HermitIbis

A size comparison.
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 13:37   #41
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
Really brings home how huge the P1000 is...wow!

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 16:10   #42
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinFold View Post
Really brings home how huge the P1000 is...wow!
It's easy to see the priorities of Nikon's engineers: reach. Harder to draw a line from the SX50 to the SX60 and deduct Canon's philosophy for the SX70. Could be a prosaic "management wants a new model shortly before Xmas." OK I am being mean...
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 16:23   #43
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
It's easy to see the priorities of Nikon's engineers: reach. Harder to draw a line from the SX50 to the SX60 and deduct Canon's philosophy for the SX70. Could be a prosaic "management wants a new model shortly before Xmas." OK I am being mean...
Probably not that mean, honestly. I'm still curious about the IQ of the SX70, but in the end it's not an upgrade option for me (and my SX60). The lack of hotshoe kinda tanked it for me.

If I were staring all over today (say, my SX60 got destroyed) I'm not sure if I'd get the P1000; probably get another SX60.

If the P1000 existed back when I first was shopping for a bridge camera to replace my digiscoping rig, then I might have actually considered the P1000, not knowing what I know now about my photography habits and back then more willing to carry around a monster bridge camera.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 20:19   #44
Vipers
Brunswick Birder

I saw a birder using a P1000 the other day and it looked very big and cumbersome. To me it's not what a bridge camera is all about.

I'm also waiting to see what the IQ on the SX70 is like before I deside weather or not to replace my trusty SX50.

Latest British List: Little Bustard (336)

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 9th November 2018, 07:51   #45
Neil G.

Hi Gary,have you considered the much smaller p900......it's bigger than the canon but still manageable.
I've posted a photo to show the image quality its capable of.
I don't understand canon to be honest...why bring out a new model with the same size zoom as the previous model,particularly when the competition is doing so well with bigger zooms.
The larger optical zooms of the nikons aren't just gimmicks,they genuinely help nature photographers get better quality images.Bad move by canon i think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_1image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	679583  

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 9th November 2018, 18:56   #46
Vipers
Brunswick Birder

Hi Neil. Yes the P900 is on my radar, I have seen some good results with it.

I don't think a bigger zoom is the main issue, as I've always said that my SX50 doesn't need more magnification just better image quality. I hope Canon have done something special with the IQ, but I'm not holding my breath.

Latest British List: Little Bustard (336)

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 9th November 2018, 19:29   #47
Neil G.

Fingers crossed bud.....i was hoping that Canon was going to do something a bit special with the sx70...i'm not brand loyal and am just interested in getting the most out of whatever i buy.You never know it may be a really good camera.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 16th November 2018, 21:20   #48
John In Ireland

It's pleasing to see that the SX70 has a microphone input, but disappointing to find out that there is nowhere to fasten it????

Check out my web! http://johnfoss.yolasite.com/
Old Friday 16th November 2018, 23:45   #49
Steve McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Ireland View Post
It's pleasing to see that the SX70 has a microphone input, but disappointing to find out that there is nowhere to fasten it????
There is a small section of flat space, just behind the flash cover, where a simple, metal, microphone shoe could be glued. They can be purchased at music equipment stores. It might be possible to glue it on top of the flash cover and it might not interfere with raising it to use the flash. Also, a microphone shoe can be mounted on an arm that would fasten to the tripod jack, under the camera and would stick out, to one side. These can be bought from accessory dealers.
Old Friday 23rd November 2018, 23:58   #50
HermitIbis

Manuals in various languages are available here. The fifth (last) manual is the English version. Others are in Swedish, Greek, Danish...
The German Canon site has actually managed to publish the version in German only.

These manuals offer only basic information, very poor effort for a major company like Canon. I more and more get the impression the SX70 is a rushed, last-ditch production. Still there is hope...

Last edited by HermitIbis : Saturday 24th November 2018 at 10:20.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: