Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

John's Mammals 2017

Old Sunday 15th January 2017, 06:41   #26
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperpatch View Post
Curious about the black squirrel, are they in England? I'm a Brit relocated to Canada, and we have Grey squirrels which come in grey and black variations, but I'd never come across black ones before moving here. Attached a photo of two of the six youngsters that resided in nearby tree last year. 4 black and 2 grey young.

Mammal list here thus far this year: Eastern Grey Squirrel, Red Squirrel, White-tailed deer, red fox.
People who have lived for periods in Washington DC tell me you get Black Eastern Gray Squirrels on one side of the Potomac and not the other. Whether that's the dividing line I dunno.

In England they are found in a belt from (certainly) Little Brickhill on the Bucks/Beds border to Cambridge.

I have heard that the Black variants out-compete ordinary Grays sexually and are spreading but I have no actual survey evidence of that either here or in North America. Mark might, he is part of the Cambs Mammal Group.

John
Old Sunday 15th January 2017, 12:55   #27
MarkHows
Seeking Non Natives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
People who have lived for periods in Washington DC tell me you get Black Eastern Gray Squirrels on one side of the Potomac and not the other. Whether that's the dividing line I dunno.

In England they are found in a belt from (certainly) Little Brickhill on the Bucks/Beds border to Cambridge.

I have heard that the Black variants out-compete ordinary Grays sexually and are spreading but I have no actual survey evidence of that either here or in North America. Mark might, he is part of the Cambs Mammal Group.

John
The blacks do seem to be expanding their range but quite slowly.

Mark

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th January 2017, 17:17   #28
snlw
Simon

Just back from a work trip to N Sweden & happy to say that I saw 5 Moose (1 female with 2 young, 1 lone female & 1 immature male). Didn't see any Reindeer that had been seen a few days before my arrival.

Cheers, Simon
Old Tuesday 17th January 2017, 20:18   #29
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by snlw View Post
Just back from a work trip to N Sweden & happy to say that I saw 5 Moose (1 female with 2 young, 1 lone female & 1 immature male). Didn't see any Reindeer that had been seen a few days before my arrival.

Cheers, Simon
Good score even without Reindeer: my brother used to go on regular work trips to Sweden and never saw a Moose/Elk, he swore they didn't exist!

John
Old Tuesday 17th January 2017, 21:15   #30
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Quote:
Good score even without Reindeer: my brother used to go on regular work trips to Sweden and never saw a Moose/Elk, he swore they didn't exist!

John
I'm sure they don't. Seven years in Canada, and zero moose sightings yet. I have a friend who sees them every time she drives East, and has even seen an albino group too. I've seen hoofprints, but am beginning to think that was a set up!
Old Wednesday 18th January 2017, 17:55   #31
snlw
Simon

A heads up for anyone who may be near Rainham Marshes.

I saw this posted on the Friends of RSPB Rainham Marshes FaceBook page - I found a stoat in almost full ermine form, just parts of the face which hadn't turned white. It was last Saturday at the western end of the northern trail. No picture (no camera!) - oh well.

Cheers, Simon
Old Sunday 22nd January 2017, 11:12   #32
prhodes

Carrin had to shoo this guy out of the front door this morning - he got his front paws on the door mat, before retreating to the front yard.

It was interesting that our male cat showed no fear of the Fox with the two looking at each other just a few feet apart.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foxemail.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	612535  
Old Wednesday 25th January 2017, 21:00   #33
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhodes View Post
Carrin had to shoo this guy out of the front door this morning - he got his front paws on the door mat, before retreating to the front yard.

It was interesting that our male cat showed no fear of the Fox with the two looking at each other just a few feet apart.

Phil
Wasn't in a hurry to go, was he? Fine looking animal.

My local cats and foxes act entirely indifferent to each other. I suspect even with most cats a bit smaller than most foxes, the extra pointy bits on the cats even the risk assessments on each side.

John
Old Thursday 26th January 2017, 20:08   #34
prhodes

Quote:
Wasn't in a hurry to go, was he? Fine looking animal.

My local cats and foxes act entirely indifferent to each other. I suspect even with most cats a bit smaller than most foxes, the extra pointy bits on the cats even the risk assessments on each side.

John
Thanks for the comments John. In the end we gave him some cat food and a lump of cheese. Best not to tell the neighbours we think.
Old Sunday 29th January 2017, 07:50   #35
Farnboro John

My first day out for a couple of weeks yesterday (been laid up with the awful cold/cough that's going around) and a visit to Stour Meadows at Blandford Forum for Otters.

I missed the early show (as Mark Hows informed me) due to a late start due to my dear brother getting back from a social evening at 0100, extending our babysitting of Max. At that point I was not best pleased with the results of his self-indulgence.

The Otters had gone downstream and I judged it a fair bet they would come back up at some point, so I amused myself with Kingfishers and the other avian denizens of the river until the resident adult female Otter with her two practically fully grown kits from last year returned upstream briefly, fishing on the long straight reach for a few minutes then again setting off downstream.

Stick it out or not? I decided I wanted more and better, and took the opportunity of knowing where they were for a while to grab a cup of tea before getting to grips with the Kingfishers properly and then working my way down the riverbank to resume surveillance from a handy bench (getting old, feel it after this flu thing, anyway!)

After midday the Otters came up again, and this time they had a serious fishing session right by the black bridge, sun out, good light from behind me, great views, fantastic!

They went round the back of the island to reappear in the pool below the weir, where they sported for a few minutes before galloping up the side and disappearing upstream. Someone was throwing balls into the pool for their dog but called it out when I shouted to them to desist as the Otters were coming through. I did apologise for my brusqueness but they were perfectly OK and in fact thanked me for the heads up as they simply hadn't noticed the small heads in the foamy water. A local PCSO who had been managing to miss the Otters on every visit was also grateful for finally getting the tick.

Mid afternoon having added Grey Squirrel to the day tally I moved up to Wyke Down where the raptors really didn't perform, (just Buzzards and Red Kites, and those distant) but it was nice to see Corn Buntings and small groups of Roe Deer. Seven in the largest but a couple of sixes as well: they seem to do this group thing more in the fairly open downland, round us a "group" equals two or three. My first Brown Hares of the year were also loping about in the fields, becoming more conspicuous towards evening.

Its an easy run home from there at this time of year and I was indoors by 1830. White-tip turned up for chicken but had to grab it and run as his visit coincided with a neighbour letting their fat Corgi out.

Pix later, maybe today if I have time.

John
Old Monday 30th January 2017, 19:47   #36
MarkHows
Seeking Non Natives

As John mentioned I took in the early show in beautiful morning light. There were three otters two large cubs and their mother. Looking at their size and the fact they can feed independently they must be almost ready to split up soon. After meeting John I headed to Arne RSPB hell, here every grockle who had watched Winterwatch had decided to visit and none of them thought to be quiet. I left quickly after seeing some Sika and did some quiet birding.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2754.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	613665  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2812.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	394.2 KB
ID:	613666  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2823.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	613667  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3054.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	613668  

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 31st January 2017, 21:06   #37
prhodes

Nothing of any interest, but I did see a Mink (all dark Mustelid with furry tail), lazily run across the road in front of the car the other day when approaching Woodhall Spa. Talking to a local birder, he said that there are a fair number about in Lincolnshire. Mammal year tick I suppose.
Old Wednesday 1st February 2017, 15:25   #38
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhodes View Post
Nothing of any interest, but I did see a Mink (all dark Mustelid with furry tail), lazily run across the road in front of the car the other day when approaching Woodhall Spa. Talking to a local birder, he said that there are a fair number about in Lincolnshire. Mammal year tick I suppose.
They're pretty difficult around here these days, which I suppose is a good thing. Perhaps quite a lucky sighting!

John
Old Wednesday 1st February 2017, 16:40   #39
Farnboro John

Pictures from Saturday.

John

Kingfisher
Otter X 4
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170128 (19)_Kingfisher.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	613846  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170128 (24)_Otter.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	613847  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170128 (33)_Otter.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	613848  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170128 (36)_Otter.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	613849  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170128 (42)_Otter.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	613850  

Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 09:47   #40
JCL

Details of the Harp Seal at Snettisham, Norfolk, on Sat. http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environm...each_1_4872287
Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 17:15   #41
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Number 5 for me, a Coyote on the lake this morning. Not quite as close as the previous lake encounter a couple of years ago, but after it had loped off, we went and had a good look at the tracks. Always nice to view them straight after they were made. Not great photos.

Technically this is number 6, but although I've seen two short-tailed shrews, they were both in the talons of the Barred Owl hunting in the yard. Great views, but I'm hoping to see a live one once the snow melts!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	coyote on the lake.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	613959  Click image for larger version

Name:	running.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	613960  
Old Sunday 5th February 2017, 18:41   #42
snlw
Simon

An albino otter has been seen & photographed in the River Clyde -http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/bothwell-couple-spot-rare-albino-9696422

Cheers, Simon
Old Monday 6th February 2017, 21:18   #43
Farnboro John

My spies tell me there are currently quite a few wolves in Finland in the Parikkala area: people's dogs have been disappearing overnight and those remaining are being brought inside every night, while wolf hunts are being organised (boo). Lynx seen by locals as well, crossing roads I imagine but no details.

John
Old Thursday 9th February 2017, 16:12   #44
Farnboro John

Fed Double Top (local vixen) last night: being a familiar visitor she sat down on the pavement to wait while I fetched the chicken from the fridge. Must restart photography soon.

John
Old Friday 10th February 2017, 19:04   #45
MarkHows
Seeking Non Natives

Three wood mice in the garage this week, a few local fallow deer and a fox seen in the village this week.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC3389.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	614865  

Old Friday 10th February 2017, 19:33   #46
dantheman
Bah humbug

Wood Mice playing havoc here - will have to relocate them soon methinks!

Brief views of a Pygmy Shrew a couple of times a few days back, and fair bit of bunny action the last week or two, including a presumed youngster (half size). I'm right in thinking they can breed year-round???
Old Friday 10th February 2017, 20:57   #47
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post

Brief views of a Pygmy Shrew a couple of times a few days back, and fair bit of bunny action the last week or two, including a presumed youngster (half size). I'm right in thinking they can breed year-round???
I'm fairly sure you are right about Rabbits, I also see very small ones at more or less any time of year. Back in the day I think there was a more clear-cut breeding season, certainly Mr Adams seemed to think so.

John
Old Saturday 11th February 2017, 08:11   #48
Farnboro John

Two foxes visited last night and I actually had the camera ready for them.

Last year's cub White Tip arrived first but when I put a piece of chicken out at the end of the lawn he went looking where I've been throwing them lately instead, and then failed to understand a pointing finger. He's not as bright as his dad, bless him...

Eventually I threw a second piece as close as I could to the first one and got shots of him mastering the technique of picking up both.

As he left a second fox turned up that I don't recognise. Based on guesswork, the route he took on arrival and the fact that he did seem moderately habituated to me I'm making a very long shot guess that it might be Scruffbag, who I haven't positively seen for months. I will try to check ear patterns.

John

White Tip X 3
(Maybe) Scruffbag
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170210 (1)_Red_Fox.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	614889  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170210 (2)_Red_Fox.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	614890  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170210 (3)_Red_Fox.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	614891  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170210 (4)_Red_Fox.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	614892  
Old Saturday 11th February 2017, 11:28   #49
dave598
Getting Back Into the Zone.

Beautiful shots of the Fox's above. So far the only Mammals I have seen in the Las Vegas Valley have been the Desert Cottentail and a Black Tailed Jackrabbit

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 11th February 2017, 11:35   #50
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Two moved to a woodpile c.500yards away with some bedding and food (to assuage my guilt and induce them not to try and return straight away). They can jump quite well, but not quite out of a nearly empty dustbin.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: