Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Names lacking in the Key

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 24th June 2019, 09:12   #176
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
And note that Berlioz used the English abbreviation "Mr.", and not (as one might expect) the French "M." (for Monsieur) Drevon.
It's admittedly, in principle, a mistake, but "Mr" (or even "Mr.") for Monsieur is in fact seen quite frequently in French nowadays, and I'd be careful about inferring anything from its use in a mid-20th C text.

(At first sight, "Mr." doesn't seem to be used in this volume of the journal, in a text written in French and for a Frenchman that I would know. (But I note a "Mr. G. Goussef", in a text written in French, on p. 502, who was working at the aquarium of the Musée de la France d'Outre-Mer, and whose name and function do not at all suggest to me he might have been British.) In the 1950 volume, p. 375, you'll find another text, written in French, where "Mr." is used for Théodore Monod, who was most definitely French.)
Old Monday 24th June 2019, 15:57   #177
Taphrospilus

If we accept some kind of english man in Björns interpretation Charles Henry Drevon (I mentioned in my post) was living for some time in London.

And the Henri Drevon (as well from Lyon) was at least interested in natural history. Otherwise he would not be member of two french scientific societies.

But all this is still just a vague trace. Far from clear evidence.
Old Sunday 4th August 2019, 07:18   #178
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

From the Bird Paleontology subforum, updated yesterday, regarding ...

creightoni as in:
• the prehistoric, sub-fossil (late Holocene alt. Quaternary of the Pleistocene) paleospecies Bahaman caracara (Polyborus) Caracara creightoni BRODKORB 1959 (OD in #2, here), a k a Creighton's Caracara

For the Etymology, see post #3.

He is reasonably not to be confused with his Father (and namesake) "Albert M. Creighton" (1878–1966).

However; enjoy!

Björn
--

Last edited by Calalp : Sunday 4th August 2019 at 12:04. Reason: deleted (no-longer required) comment
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: