Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Water bird numbers down 70% in the Murray-Darling Basin over ~30 years

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 5th June 2017, 03:28   #1
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Unhappy Water bird numbers down 70% in the Murray-Darling Basin over ~30 years

"New research has found a dramatic decline in water birds in the Murray-Darling Basin, with numbers down about 70 per cent in the past three decades"
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-0...lining/8587720

The verdict is irrefutably in. White fulla ways since 'ahem', settlement, and water infrastructure decisions of the 1950's and 60's have had alarming long term ramifications on birds "which tells you the whole of the ecosystem is in decline."

This should sound deafening alarm bells for those of the more red-necked or liberal political class who blindly seek to repeat the exercise in the north of Australia .....

It really makes the repair and regenerative work of visionary landscape whispering 'guru' Peter Andrews OAM, all the more important ....
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342128

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 10th June 2017, 08:30   #2
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Here is a link to the original research paper published in the Global Change Biology journal. Only the Abstract is available to view for free. Various rising costs are charged to rent it for one-off reading, through to download.

Titled:
"Continental impacts of water development on waterbirds, contrasting two Australian river basins: Global implications for sustainable water use".
Richard T. Kingsford
First published: 4 June 2017
DOI: 10.1111/gcb.13743

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...gcb.13743/full

Chosun

Old Saturday 10th June 2017, 15:05   #3
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Here is a link to the original research paper published in the Global Change Biology journal. Only the Abstract is available to view for free. Various rising costs are charged to rent it for one-off reading, through to download.

Titled:
"Continental impacts of water development on waterbirds, contrasting two Australian river basins: Global implications for sustainable water use". Richard T. Kingsford First published: 4 June 2017. DOI: 10.1111/gcb.13743 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...gcb.13743/full
Chosun
Richard Kingsford is usually quick to put his material online at ResearchGate, so it might be available soon.
MJB
Old Saturday 8th July 2017, 09:51   #4
mjh73

Free download of full paper here:
https://www.ecosystem.unsw.edu.au/fi...ge_Biology.pdf

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 10th July 2017, 16:57   #5
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question

Thanks mjh73 , but I don't seem to be able to download from that link. It came up with a security warning initially, which I clicked to ignore, but download failed twice.

I went to this page direct https://www.ecosystem.unsw.edu.au/co...able-water-use
, and tried to access the pdf at the bottom of the page, but download still failed ..... ????

Has anyone had any luck accessing the full paper?

Chosun

Old Tuesday 11th July 2017, 08:53   #6
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Unhappy

I am using a Samsung Note 3, and I still can't download this file :(

The UNSW ecosystem address bar is showing an open padlock - is this what everyone else is seeing? Every time I try to download, after a while of being in progress, my phone comes up with a download failed message ......?

Anyone ?

Chosun

Old Tuesday 11th July 2017, 09:05   #7
Hauksen

Hi Chosun,

Quote:
Has anyone had any luck accessing the full paper?
Following the link you provided and clicking on the PDF link, the paper loaded quite quickly, succcessfully, on the first try.

Regards,

Henning
Old Wednesday 12th July 2017, 14:59   #8
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thanks Henning, now reunited with my old laptop, I was able to open that pdf and download first time too - and the old girl is running Vista, and has more than one troublesome cold that I can't get rid of.

Perhaps my android phone has a virus too? It's saying that the security certificate from the unsw site is not recognised - clearly a problem on my end. Does anyone have any advice there?

It was interesting that the 2010 rainfall event showed as statistically relevant - these flooding rains was when I saw Buff-banded Rails, Royal Spoonbills, and even a Brolga poking about what was basically ex-cow paddocks!

The Brolga visited for just one morning at a small temporary pond (a depression maybe a foot or so deep and no bigger than the size of your loungeroom) - this was a once in 10 year (maybe more) event - many many kilometres from any recognised wetlands .....

The treatment of rivers and catchments as drainage ditches largely devoid of natural floodout and soil building processes, and even worse erosion, makes such occurrences less and less likely as these processes and attendant land clearing and riparian destruction dry the land out.

Chosun

Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 09:53   #9
Hauksen

Hi Chosun,

Quote:
Perhaps my android phone has a virus too? It's saying that the security certificate from the unsw site is not recognised - clearly a problem on my end. Does anyone have any advice there?
You could try a different browser - if you're using chrome, try Firefox or Opera.

(That's a non-scientific approach, no idea what the root cause might be.)

Regards,

Henning
Old Sunday 23rd July 2017, 05:43   #10
mjh73

Glad you downloaded it successfully Chosun (eventually!), it opened fine first time for me in Safari so I wouldn't have been much help resolving your problem I'm afraid :(

Old Monday 24th July 2017, 03:44   #11
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation

Further to the original report, comes a documentary about water allocations, rights, and financial drivers, which will be aired tonight, Monday 24th July 8:30pm (AEST) on Australian ABC TV investigative journalism program "Four Corners" titled "Pumped". In an advertisement for the program I noted that Professor Richard Kingsford was interviewed for ecological input. Watch it if you can
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stori...20/4705065.htm

Chosun

Old Monday 24th July 2017, 05:25   #12
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

A bit of a preview to the above program http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...02?pfmredir=sm

Chosun

Old Monday 24th July 2017, 11:54   #13
mjh73

Quote:
Further to the original report, comes a documentary about water allocations, rights, and financial drivers, which will be aired tonight, Monday 24th July 8:30pm (AEST) on Australian ABC TV investigative journalism program "Four Corners" titled "Pumped". In an advertisement for the program I noted that Professor Richard Kingsford was interviewed for ecological input. Watch it if you can
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stori...20/4705065.htm

Chosun
Missed it. Will iview it later though - just saw a clip that included a secret recording of an (alleged!) dodgy senior civil servant and recognised them from some audit work I did a few years ago when the same person was a senior civil servant in a different state

Old Monday 24th July 2017, 12:53   #14
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh73 View Post
Missed it. Will iview it later though - just saw a clip that included a secret recording of an (alleged!) dodgy senior civil servant and recognised them from some audit work I did a few years ago when the same person was a senior civil servant in a different state
Bumma mjh, it will be replayed at other times tomorrow morning, and Wednesday night, as well as the streaming catchup service.

Jeez, what an eyeopener. The results, and the rules and governance system that we have is definitely NOT what the taxpayer has forked over several Billion $ for over the last decade or so.

The program revealed profiteering and what I can only describe as environmentally stupid business models based on water allocations and trading in some of the hottest parts of the country, with vast storage dams acting like large evaporation ponds.

Madness when you consider the country and it's flora and fauna evolved diametrically in precisely the opposite direction of water storage in floodplains and ephemeral and permanent river connected wetlands, in what must be the most efficient and beautiful such system in the world.

Here's a bit of a summary I posted on the dedicated program alert thread .......
"WOW! What an absolute bombshell!

Allegations of subversion, non-compliance, measurement equipment tampering or just plain disconnected, wilful dishonesty and criminality. Billions of litres of water obtained spuriously.

Also, senior executive public servants preferentially providing selective "de-badged" information to irrigation lobby groups, and proactive investigation units within departments sidelined and disbanded.

Apart from these actions deliberately on the wrong side of the ledger, comes revelations of the playing field tipped in favour of irrigators with much higher extraction during low flow periods with much larger pipes and equipment, it must be said in direct contravention of the 'spirit' and 'intent' of the Murray Darling Basin Plan and the several Billion $ of taxpayer's money invested for the purpose of trying to achieve better environmental outcomes.

If you missed the original sceening, the program will be repeated tomorrow morning, 9:59am Tuesday 25th July on ABC (channel 21), and again on Wednesday evening, 26th July at 11:15pm. It should also be available to stream from the ABC catchup service via the Internet, and transcripts should be available at some stage too."

Chosun

Old Tuesday 25th July 2017, 13:34   #15
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation WOW!! This is massive!

Following revelations aired in the 4 Corners program last night, there are calls for a judicial inquiry, referring the matter to ICAC (Independent Commission Against Corruption), and even a Royal Commission

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/polit...inquiry_250717

There is a long history of State versus State and accusations of unfair water grabs, which several billion $ of taxpayer money and the MDBA (Murray Darling Basin Authority), Plan, and water allocation, and even station (Toorale - now a National Park) buybacks were meant to fix. This is a matter of national significance, and likely just the start. Hang on to your hats folks - I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!

Chosun

Old Tuesday 25th July 2017, 13:45   #16
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation Watch this if you can

The program will be repeated tomorrow night Wednesday 26th July, 11pm ABC1, and also on Saturday 29th July at 8pm on ABC24, as well as streamed on iview.
http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/fou.../NC1704H024S00

Chosun

Old Tuesday 25th July 2017, 14:19   #17
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Widespread Community and Local Government (Councils) outrage at revelations in the program. This news article contains a short video summary of a few minutes.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/201...orners/8740130

Chosun

Old Tuesday 25th July 2017, 14:26   #18
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Indigenous leaders perspective from before the 4 Corners program 'Pumped' even aired!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...08?pfmredir=sm

In the current lifetime of Indigenous Aborigines there have been documented reports of adults unable to even see their knees standing in the river now, who had been able to see their feet when younger .....

Chosun

Old Tuesday 25th July 2017, 14:32   #19
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

"Murray-Darling plan doomed to fail unless more water earmarked for conservation: scientists"

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...ts-say/8650270

Again, this report was made before the revelations of the 4 Corners program last night.

Chosun

Old Tuesday 25th July 2017, 16:25   #20
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

More calls for MDBA Plan overhaul by Indigenous communities, and frankly, a rather disappointing face-palm by self proclaimed country bloke and Deputy Prime Minister - Barnaby Joyce .... that was just dumb, Barnaby - even for you

http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-news...ng-revelations

Chosun

Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 10:44   #21
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow 11pm Wednesday 26th July ABC TV - Replay of 'Pumped' Four Corners exposay

Latest news .... State vs State, mate vs mate ....
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...98?pfmredir=sm

Chosun

Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 19:04   #22
MJB

Quote:
Latest news .... State vs State, mate vs mate ....
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...98?pfmredir=sm

Chosun
Good on you, Chosun!
MJB
Old Friday 28th July 2017, 15:37   #23
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Angry 300 billion litres of environmental water lost in Murray-Darling Basin: scientist

"300 billion litres of environmental water lost in Murray-Darling Basin: scientist"
An expert estimates the Government has spent about $3 billion over the past five years subsidising farmers.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...94?pfmredir=sm

Chosun

Old Saturday 29th July 2017, 09:43   #24
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

'Pumped' Four Corners episode replay 8pm Saturday 29th July ABC24

Plenty of discussion, finger pointing, and outrage has been stirred up by the Australian ABC TV investigative program Four Corners episode 'pumped'.

As a taxpayer, I can say that we all endured a lot of financial pain so that the whole issue of over extraction, irrigation agriculture in inappropriate places, certainty and rules based equity for primary producers with a need to be globally competitive, and most importantly, ongoing sustainability for environmental health backed by rigorous, conservative, best practice science, could be professionally and equitably dealt with once and for all.

To hear that there is deliberate non-compliance, water theft, lack of appetite for enforcement by the responsible government departments, systematic dismantling of compliance investigation and prosecution capability, and even wilful scheming by officials and senior beaureaucrats to deliberately sabotage and circumvent the Murray-Darling Basin plan is disgraceful.

All of this criminality and corruption is on top of very real concerns that the correct 'balance' among all stakeholders has not been struck which allows ongoing environmental health. The official line seems to be that it's too early to tell, despite seemingly inappropriate water extraction rules in certain circumstances, no real accurate and comprehensive picture of the current water take, and no significant bounce back in environment health as Professor Richard Kingsford's study shows.

Here is the view from the NSW Farmer's Federation - who want equity, compliance, and certainty for their members
https://www.farmers.org.au/news-upda...-28072017.html

And here is a report in the peak rural newspaper detailing some of the complexities of the issue
http://www.theland.com.au/story/4809...-spark-outcry/

Last chance to catch a replay of 'Pumped' on free to air TV in half an hour - 8pm channel ABC News (ABC24)

Chosun

Old Saturday 29th July 2017, 13:18   #25
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation

Here is a link to the Four Corners 'Pumped' episode page which contains a full transcript of the program, and a link button to the iview streaming service - program only available to watch on this until the 16th August.
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stori...24/4705065.htm

Also a copy of a privacy edited copy of the response by the NSW DPI (re:- Gavin Hanlon etc),
https://www.scribd.com/mobile/docume...ary-Industries

It seems that we can add buck passing, and lax licensing and compliance systems design. Pretty unprofessional really. Dodgy irrigators must be laughing all the way to the bank, with in some cases, nothing more onerous than a logbook required - one that is all too easy for the dog to eat (along with the kids homework! :), with the risk of nothing more punishing than a slap on the wrist for taking ?????? litres of water illegally .....

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Saturday 29th July 2017 at 13:58.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: