Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Canon 7D MkIII ....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 01:27   #51
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
I initially thought that was a joke. Sometimes I lose sight of the fact that Canon is a large company where beancounters have sway. Our little desires probably don’t account for much
Kevin, Unfortunately it's no joke .....

I can understand the thinking with the "cute" pink kids camera - a perfect match for Lady Penelope, Barbie, or Hello Kitty, and the aspirational link to the older Cos-play, and Harijuku Girls scene, etc - it's a very Japanese thing to do. Good strategy to entice brand loyalty right from an early age ...... BUT :-
1. It's already a crowded market with RRP of ~$25 ~$99 with a plethora of bright coloured plastic available - so hardly a great profit spinner ....
https://www.lifewire.com/best-kids-cameras-493410
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....5.ochJmLTBxfk
https://www.google.com/search?q=Hara...iw=360&bih=615
2. Not at the expense of much needed developments,
ie. 7D MkIII !!! ...... and developments in Sensors, Eye-tracking AF, and IBIS, generally, etc

We can only hope that the delays on the 7D MkIII mean that Canon will come out with a true killer son of 1DX III .....

As you have said though, that may come too late to stop the defection of the frustrated over to Nikon with its D500 + PF 500 f5.6 option .....

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Sunday 10th March 2019 at 01:33.

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 02:49   #52
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
I initially thought that was a joke. Sometimes I lose sight of the fact that Canon is a large company where beancounters have sway. Our little desires probably don’t account for much
Cameras are only about 10% of revenues for Canon and their CEO has stated publicly that they expect sales to fall by 50% over the next few years, leaving open whether that means in units or in value. That suggests retrenchment.

This recent article in "The New Camera' suggest Canon is putting priority on mirrorless designs going forward:
http://thenewcamera.com/more-proof-c...orless-camera/
Such a decision to focus the declining resources on the most promising segments seems plausible, but does not bode well for a 7D MIII in the near term.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 04:14   #53
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Cameras are only about 10% of revenues for Canon and their CEO has stated publicly that they expect sales to fall by 50% over the next few years, leaving open whether that means in units or in value. That suggests retrenchment.

This recent article in "The New Camera' suggest Canon is putting priority on mirrorless designs going forward:
http://thenewcamera.com/more-proof-c...orless-camera/
Such a decision to focus the declining resources on the most promising segments seems plausible, but does not bode well for a 7D MIII in the near term.
The crazy thing is that a 7D MkIII is probably the single most glaring omission in Canon's line up considering the age of the 7D II and the advancements made by most all it's competition.

The bold (to be so public) call by the Canon CEO to predict such a huge market (unit numbers) decline, indicates a big change for Canon in having to rationalize their highly diverse model array (the most micro niche plugging range of any manufacturer). Many of the competition are seeking refuge in high end product offerings.
http://thenewcamera.com/canon-to-can...-camera-sales/

I think this might spell the end for the DSLR 5D range whose next incarnation will possibly be mirrorless (to compete with the Nikon Z8 due 2020/21?)

The flagship DSLR's from Canon and Nikon in FF and APS-C would seem to be safe for this next iteration (for use at the 2020 Olympics) while both companies get to grips with high speed mirrorless AF tracking to a level where they are confident enough to release them.

Certainly the need is there for a 7D III right now. The question in my mind is whether it will be released before the IDX III (and with CP+ just gone with pretty much only cute pink kids cameras to show for it .... I'm not filled with confidence! :) , at the same time, or even after the Olympics (and in the process dumping on their loyal customers from a great height)

It was rumoured to be due last year, and as such you'd have to think that a large portion of the development work is already done.

Chosun

Old Wednesday 27th March 2019, 06:08   #54
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Unhappy Time for even the most optimistic to despair ....

Nothing before 2020 ......

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-rest...uct-lines-cr2/

"readers would be disappointed to know that a “professional level” camera such a replacement for the EOS 7D Mark II or EOS-1D X Mark II isn’t scheduled for this year."

Chosun

Old Wednesday 27th March 2019, 17:06   #55
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

I'm a little bummed out.
I've been using SLRs since I was a teenager, almost 50 years. One could always count on there being an improved body or a cool lens coming down the pike. That seems to be ending.

I have no optimism that I'll have a path forward in anything close to the near future, for the kind of photography I do. I feel a bit like the guy who's still holding film cameras after the digital gold rush came.

Switching to a mirrorless system has little appeal to me. I don't want to spend the money to replace what I have and the available equipment is far from mature and frankly I don't have time or the inclination to ride it's development wave.

I did think about jumping to Nikon for my birding outfit, a 500D and a PF500, but the same forces causing Canon to shift gears are influencing Nikon as well and that move might just be putting a finger in the dike, so to speak, at considerable cost to me.

No, the camera I want/need is the mythical 7DIII and that may never happen.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Wednesday 27th March 2019 at 18:50.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 27th March 2019, 19:16   #56
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I saw this today: Latest Canon presentation confirms their focus is now on Mirrorless (MirrorlessRumors).

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 28th March 2019, 02:17   #57
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
I'm a little bummed out.
I've been using SLRs since I was a teenager, almost 50 years. One could always count on there being an improved body or a cool lens coming down the pike. That seems to be ending.

I have no optimism that I'll have a path forward in anything close to the near future, for the kind of photography I do. I feel a bit like the guy who's still holding film cameras after the digital gold rush came.

Switching to a mirrorless system has little appeal to me. I don't want to spend the money to replace what I have and the available equipment is far from mature and frankly I don't have time or the inclination to ride it's development wave.

I did think about jumping to Nikon for my birding outfit, a 500D and a PF500, but the same forces causing Canon to shift gears are influencing Nikon as well and that move might just be putting a finger in the dike, so to speak, at considerable cost to me.

No, the camera I want/need is the mythical 7DIII and that may never happen.
Kevin,

The rumour source in the link I posted said that 2020 (Olympics year) was going to be a big year for Canon releases (as it will be for Nikon). This means the Canon 1DX III / 7D III, and Nikon D6 /D500S .... neither company is sufficiently advanced in Mirrorless AF at the Pro level or has access to a commensurate high performance EVF to suit, that will meet their standards. Based on their initial offerings, that Pro Mirrorless journey is likely to take several years (Sony is already all in, so is Fujifilm APS-C, and Olympus MFT). So DSLR's will be the flagships for this next generation (most likely the last) , which should offer a good ~ half dozen years leading ~ ballpark performance .....

It was over 2 years ago that rumours of the 7D III were suggesting near announcement. A 2020 release would put the 7D II well over 5 years old ..... and getting whooped by the Nikon D500 for most of that.

Canon will of necessity be consolidating it's plethora of consumer and enthusiast DSLR lines, with the development time frames extending, perhaps eventually to a crawl as the Mirrorless transition takes over - it's pure economics. Nikon has given more of a clear assurance that the two formats (DSLR and Mirrorless mounts) will coexist as 'complimentary' ranges - though you could realistically expect the pace of development to slow there as well (glaring lens developments required for Nikon are to flesh the PF telephoto range out, and match the new lightweight Canon MkIII supertelephotos in 3, 400 f2.8, and 5, 600 f4).

Here's what Nikon have to say on the matter:
"For really high-level professional photographers at sports events and so on, I believe that the DSLR will survive. I think there will be a synergy between DSLR and mirrorless, so we can expand the market moving forward."
"I want to grow the Z series and D series at the same time - we’re not weighing one against the other."
https://m.dpreview.com/interviews/37...al-as-possible

I'm not sure what other bits and bobs your kit consists of, but the Nikon D500+PF500 f5.6 would serve you well. The D500 won't be superceded in widely available numbers for at least ~18months. I also use the Tokina 12-28 f4 DX PRO on my D7200. As with the D500, the extra 1.3x in-camera crop allows a 35mm equivalent range of 18-56mm ... pretty handy as an all round wide angle to normal zoom. That 1.3x crop would also turn the PF500 f5.6 into a handy 1000mm eq f5.6 !!

I think the DX Mirrorless road is paved with confusion and indecision for both Canon and Nikon so I wouldn't be expecting any Pro level APS-C models from either company before about 2022 ....

Chosun

Old Thursday 28th March 2019, 02:52   #58
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Chosen,

That's for that report. Somewhat reassuring, but I'm confused..

From your post:

"The rumour source in the link I posted said that 2020 (Olympics year) was going to be a big year for Canon releases (as it will be for Nikon). This means the Canon 1DX III / 7D III, and Nikon D6 /D500S"

"I think the DX Mirrorless road is paved with confusion and indecision for both Canon and Nikon so I wouldn't be expecting any Pro level APS-C models from either company before about 2022 ...."

Um, which is it do you think? I'm getting old.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 28th March 2019, 05:02   #59
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Chosun,

That's for that report. Somewhat reassuring, but I'm confused..

From your post:

"The rumour source in the link I posted said that 2020 (Olympics year) was going to be a big year for Canon releases (as it will be for Nikon). This means the Canon 1DX III / 7D III, and Nikon D6 /D500S"

"I think the DX Mirrorless road is paved with confusion and indecision for both Canon and Nikon so I wouldn't be expecting any {Mirrorless} Pro level APS-C models from either company before about 2022 ...."

Um, which is it do you think? I'm getting old.
Kevin,

From what I can gather piecing the rumours together it's
DSLR 'Pro' flagships in 2020. FF for sure - Canon 1DX III and Nikon D6. And likely - based on need and history (and parts sharing economies of scale), their respective APS-C 'brothers' - Canon 7D III and Nikon D500S (probably both ~18months away on the streets). The Olympics will be a big driver - thank goodness !

The second sentence you quoted I was referring purely to Mirrorless DX. No Pro level Mirrorless CaNikons released until at least ~ 2022 would be my estimation.

I said DX Mirrorless is messy because both companies are still working through their strategies there .....

I know for myself and a lot of other enthusiasts/Pro's the beauty of the DSLR APS-C mount compatibility with DSLR FF means you can put FF lenses on them and get that all important extra ~1.5x or so reach. I like the Nikon's with the extra 1.3x in-camera crop too which ends up giving you 2x reach at about ~12~15 MP (the main benefit is in better AF, exposure, and an extra fps on my D7200). Given that I would almost certainly expect any eventual Pro level DX Mirrorless to use the big FF Mirrorless mounts (Canon R, and Nikon Z)

Canon has the APSC-M mount which offers small size and an existing lens catalogue .... however no upgrade path or interchangability through that mount to FF. I don't mind this, small size is the key. They can always offer a Pro level DX Mirrorless with an R mount later (a Mirrorless 7D if you like) - but that's a lot of years away.

Nikon would still be mulling the whole DX Mirrorless thing over. Certainly a Pro MDX with a Z mount, but will they make the entry level DX's in Z mount too? I suspect yes, but I'm not certain. It all depends on whether there is a significant weight penalty with the DX specific lenses - there are probably engineering solutions to this and the benefits of compatability and an upgrade path likely outweigh any weight/ size drawbacks for Nikon. They may surprise us with an entirely new small mount, but they are stretched resource-wise already (they talked about 24/7 operations and more automation even to deal with the current F and Z mounts going forward).

In some ways I think Canon has the better end of the Mirrorless DX stick because of the existing progress on the M mount - I'm sure they are happy for their customers to have to upgrade entirely !

If you did come over to the dark side (Nikon D500+PF500 f5.6) you'd have no FOMO worries for at least 18 months (before a D500S or 7D III hit the streets) and it should be good for half a dozen years before Mirrorless starts to show compelling gains. The lens would still be adaptable too. I believe there is news of the supply of PF500 f5.6 lenses flowing again too, so I'd jump in quick :)

Chosun

Old Thursday 28th March 2019, 05:21   #60
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Thanks for your efforts Chosun.
I'm a fickle SOB normally, and this tea leaf reading isn't helping ;^)

Cheers

Old Thursday 4th April 2019, 15:43   #61
MHamiltonVisuals

The ball is certainly in Canon's court and they need to impress with this next iteration. I had the Mark 2 and loved it. Crop sensor was a huge plus for the extra reach in the lens. I wonder if the market is still there for DSLR's over mirrorless though. We will see.
Old Friday 19th April 2019, 15:42   #62
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Unhappy Well this is not very encouraging at all !!!

7D II is the end of the line .... ?
To merge with the x0D line ---> 90D
https://www.canonrumors.com/is-the-e...hat-it-is-cr1/

I hope this (irregular sourced) rumour is just dead set wrong.

The 7D III is well overdue,
The 7D II is getting flogged in the market place,
24MP and single digit fps is just not going to cut it,

Blind Freddy could see that Canon need a 7D III to compete with the Nikon D500 let alone any upgraded D500S.

Surely the secretive Canon 1DX III will spawn an APS-C 'PRO' little brother .... ?

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Friday 19th April 2019 at 16:02.

Old Friday 19th April 2019, 18:12   #63
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I read the rumor to say the eventual replacement will be a mirrorless. However, full frame vs APC? Analysts say that full frame will be only25-30 of the total market, but canon seems to think it will be where the profit is.

Niles

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 20th April 2019, 02:05   #64
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
I read the rumor to say the eventual replacement will be a mirrorless. However, full frame vs APC? Analysts say that full frame will be only25-30 of the total market, but canon seems to think it will be where the profit is.

Niles
Yes, this is a possibility. Either way I think Canon are dumping on their customers (and potential customers) from a great height.

I highly doubt that any 90D (despite a better sensor) is going to be up to 7D III levels of fps, AF tracking accuracy, buffer depth, and processing speed, ergonomics and pro control, build quality levels - durability /weather sealing.

It just doesn't make sense.

As for a Mirrorless '7D III' successor - those waters are even muddier.

I would suggest that the FF high res 'R8' of 70MP won't cut it even though it has an APS-C resolution of ~27MP. I can't see it being up to snuff fps (AF & AE tracking), buffer, or ergonomics wise. It may be capable processor wise in DX mode, but this thing would have to cost a bomb ..... and there are no native long lenses for at least a generation. And then of course the EVF's are not really up to snuff for high speed work yet and able to match the real life comfort of an OVF.

A dedicated R mount APS-C Mirrorless '7D III' could be optimised better for less cost, but I would still question whether at this time the mirrorless system AF and ergonomics are up to 'Pro' work .... and honestly - how long is it going to take to get here ..... 2021+ ?

To my mind, Canon should have had a DSLR 7D III released last year or early this year at the latest. It should have been 24 ~32MP with at least 10fps, and class leading AF (including tracking and AE). There must be stacks of 7D II owners out there disgruntled at getting thumped by Nikon's D500 for nearly 3 years now. As well as plenty of folk like me who would like to jump into Canon's leading light weight lenses but can't live with the duff bodies ..... that's a lot of $ going begging.

Yes I know the 7D II works 'ok' .... but if I'm going to outlay umpteen thousand dollars - I want to know that I have the best.

Chosun

Old Saturday 20th April 2019, 05:50   #65
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation I just don't get it ......

Now comes a report that Canon is lowering it's 2019 Profit Forecast by 20% in the face of Smartphone Photography advancement ....... unbelievable !
https://m.dpreview.com/news/23764491...g-camera-sales

So what's the one glaring omission in the Canon line up at the moment ? .......... why the 7D III of course !

What is the one area where DSLR's /Mirrorless (once developed more with native lenses) excel and no Smartphone can touch ? ....... why high speed /long lens / low light photography of course ! ........ what product would widen that gap, be available to large numbers of consumers, enthusiasts, and pro's, thus proving highly profitable ? .......... the 7D III !!!

This sleeping at the wheel business is very depressing

Chosun

Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 14:09   #66
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question A 7D MkIII by any other name .... ???

News of a new 32.5MP APS-C 'hybrid' xD / x0D DSLR ....
https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-re...slr-in-taiwan/

This is either a stop gap for a long long overdue 7DIII, which may then be released after the 1DXIII next year, or .....

This is it ! This hybrid positioned APS-C DSLR (most likely called the 90D) will be the top dawg and a truly 'Pro' level APS-C camera from Canon will have to wait for the Mirrorless iteration way way way down the track. The mail seems to be that this is the DSLR way that Canon will go .......
If so, let's hope it inherits an extra chromosome from the 7D side of the family ..... a 7D MkIII by any other name if you will ......

I could live with the smaller, lighter body provided they upgrade the weather sealing (I'm thinking more in terms of dust in practice) , cram dual digics in there, and retain the performance parameters of the 7D line, and improve AF etc to at least IDXII levels .....
It would have to whoop the Nikon D500 .....

It would be nice if Canon would come out with a clear indication ..... no wonder their sales are crashing .....

Chosun

Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 16:18   #67
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Given the Canon forecast of a 50% decline in camera sales, it seems inescapable that they prune their product line severely.

Looking at the 18% slump in one year reported by Nikon, Canon's expectations seem reasonable, perhaps even optimistic. In that context, perhaps the 7D line is one of those affected.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 19:18   #68
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Given the Canon forecast of a 50% decline in camera sales, it seems inescapable that they prune their product line severely.

Looking at the 18% slump in one year reported by Nikon, Canon's expectations seem reasonable, perhaps even optimistic. In that context, perhaps the 7D line is one of those affected.
Yes, that was their indicated strategy, though I think that pruning the top-end, the APS-C halo 'Pro' model is not the way to go.

There is huge demand there from the enthusiast (prosumer/pro) customer - especially for a product that will outdo the competition Nikon D500. DX is the only way to get that longer length 'crop factor' focal length that is a necessity for bird photographers not wishing to use TC's, or get away with lower power ones (the widest aperture overall is always desirable).

This is the one area that smartphones (even the new ~160mm eq telephoto ones - Huawei, Oppo) cannot compete with. By all means rationalize the absolutely **bewildering plethora of incremental niche models below the 7D, but if this really is the end of the 7D DSLR line then it's a strategic marketing miss imo. Until FF is cranking out 50MP at 20fps then there will always be a need for a Pro DX.

It really is a case of "if you build it they will come"

** The following 'mess' (from DPReview's product database) is Canon's APS-C (DSLR only) current and recent model line up - a potential new customer would need a PhD in obfuscation to sort it out and decide on a purchase !
● Canon EOS Rebel SL3 (EOS 250D / EOS Kiss X10)
● Canon EOS Rebel T7 (EOS 2000D)
● Canon EOS 4000D
● Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9)
● Canon EOS 77D / EOS 9000D
● Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D / Kiss X9i
● Canon EOS Rebel T6 (EOS 1300D)
● Canon EOS 80D
● Canon EOS Rebel T6s (EOS 760D / EOS 8000D)
● Canon EOS Rebel T6i (EOS 750D / Kiss X8i)
● Canon EOS 7D Mark II
● Canon EOS 1200D (EOS Rebel T5 / EOS Kiss X70)
● Canon EOS 70D
● Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D)
● Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i)
● Canon EOS Rebel T4i (EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i)
● Canon EOS 60Da
● Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
● Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50)
● Canon EOS 60D
● Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
● Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)

Say what !

Imagine running into that lot for the first time ! Surely whoever came up with the "KISS" designation was just having a giant lend. It's no wonder that younger generations with attention spans of around 1.4 seconds are turning away in droves .......

Chosun

Old Wednesday 15th May 2019, 01:18   #69
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

You make a good case, Canon marketing is not coherent.
Unfortunately, cameras are only a minor market for Canon, so perhaps the firm is not sufficiently focused on this sector. They would be more successful here if they were.

Old Wednesday 15th May 2019, 15:35   #70
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

More '90D' rumours .....

Specs of the '90D' rumoured
https://www.canonnews.com/preliminar...ons-of-the-90d

7D line going out with a whimper ...... ?

This spec list certainly ticks a lot of boxes (dual Digics, 10fps, etc) , but there is no mention of the metering unit resolution, or indeed notion of how well the '90D' AF system performs with its reduced number of points in comparison to the 7DII.

So the question is - Is this '90D' a Nikon D7500 competitor? or a D500 competitor? The last DSLR hurrah? , or prelude to a proper 7DIII even further (arrgggh! and egad! that's really stretching a friendship! ) down the track? (just prior /after, the flagship 1DXIII is announced ready for the 2020 Olympics .....)

Only Canon knows ...... I just hope they still have an audience when they are ready to tell !

Chosun

Old Wednesday 15th May 2019, 16:50   #71
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Yes, that was their indicated strategy, though I think that pruning the top-end, the APS-C halo 'Pro' model is not the way to go.

There is huge demand there from the enthusiast (prosumer/pro) customer - especially for a product that will outdo the competition Nikon D500. DX is the only way to get that longer length 'crop factor' focal length that is a necessity for bird photographers not wishing to use TC's, or get away with lower power ones (the widest aperture overall is always desirable).

This is the one area that smartphones (even the new ~160mm eq telephoto ones - Huawei, Oppo) cannot compete with. By all means rationalize the absolutely **bewildering plethora of incremental niche models below the 7D, but if this really is the end of the 7D DSLR line then it's a strategic marketing miss imo. Until FF is cranking out 50MP at 20fps then there will always be a need for a Pro DX.

It really is a case of "if you build it they will come"

** The following 'mess' (from DPReview's product database) is Canon's APS-C (DSLR only) current and recent model line up - a potential new customer would need a PhD in obfuscation to sort it out and decide on a purchase !
● Canon EOS Rebel SL3 (EOS 250D / EOS Kiss X10)
● Canon EOS Rebel T7 (EOS 2000D)
● Canon EOS 4000D
● Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9)
● Canon EOS 77D / EOS 9000D
● Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D / Kiss X9i
● Canon EOS Rebel T6 (EOS 1300D)
● Canon EOS 80D
● Canon EOS Rebel T6s (EOS 760D / EOS 8000D)
● Canon EOS Rebel T6i (EOS 750D / Kiss X8i)
● Canon EOS 7D Mark II
● Canon EOS 1200D (EOS Rebel T5 / EOS Kiss X70)
● Canon EOS 70D
● Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D)
● Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i)
● Canon EOS Rebel T4i (EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i)
● Canon EOS 60Da
● Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
● Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50)
● Canon EOS 60D
● Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
● Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)

Say what !

Imagine running into that lot for the first time ! Surely whoever came up with the "KISS" designation was just having a giant lend. It's no wonder that younger generations with attention spans of around 1.4 seconds are turning away in droves .......

Chosun
In all fairness, that list seems to include about 7 generations worth of cameras. If you go to a shop (even online) you will likely get a much more restricted list. If going equally far back with Nikon models I suspect you will get almost as much confusion, having for example d7500, d7200, d7100, d7000 and similar series in 3xxx and 5xxx.

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 01:40   #72
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
In all fairness, that list seems to include about 7 generations worth of cameras. If you go to a shop (even online) you will likely get a much more restricted list. If going equally far back with Nikon models I suspect you will get almost as much confusion, having for example d7500, d7200, d7100, d7000 and similar series in 3xxx and 5xxx.

Niels
Niels,

Yes, there are lots of generations there. The point is it is way too confusing for a new entrant to the market (who would also be trying to sift through all the MFT offerings, and Fujifilm, Sony, and Nikon [obsolete 1 series], Mirrorless etc, though would probably rule most kit out on price alone, as well as Canon's own EOS-M range, and Nikon and other DSLR's, etc)

At least the Nikon offerings - roughly 3xxx, 5xxx, 7xxx, 8xx line up with the thoroughly familiar (to just about everyone on the planet I would imagine) Automotive world - pioneered by BMW's 3, 5, and 7 series, and now copied by other brands.

The critical difference is that a Nikon 5600 is a Nikon 5600 no matter whether it is sold in Japan, Europe, America, or anywhere else in the world.

Unlike Canon, it doesn't weirdly morph into another model with completely different names and numbering systems dependent on market.

Canon is a mess, and it comes as a result of Canon's micromanagement of market segments and niches. In effect it has lost its way by focusing so much on the marketing presentation that the actual products and strategic direction are becoming increasingly irrelevant to an ever increasing population. It's smoke and mirrors instead of meat without the feathers. That's why their market share is falling in key segments, but more importantly sales and overall market is plummeting.

Although Japanese companies have long term strategic plans, they seem blinkered to the paradigm shift that has occurred under their feet with the ubiquitous smartphone camera and instant connectivity.

I thought it was fascinating that the new multi camera, telephoto, and HDR capable Huawei P30 Pro smartphone launched as "rewriting the rules of photography". Never mind the more powerful computer and portable office than most people would have completed their learning and studying on, and the instant connectivity in multiple formats.

No amount of Canon renaming various irrelevant models in various markets is going to address that.

The one thing that they could do to secure the company reputation - namely leading halo flagship models - they have steadfastly refused to do in APS-C with this interminable delay of the very much needed 7DIII.

Chosun

Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 08:55   #73
edenwatcher

Blah, blah, blah. Yet still Canon has by far the largest market share for interchangeable lens cameras.

Rob

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 11:09   #74
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenwatcher View Post
Blah, blah, blah. Yet still Canon has by far the largest market share for interchangeable lens cameras.

Rob
Canon itself expects that market to shrink by half.
Surely that should be a signal for a serious reappraisal, rather than for business as usual.

Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 12:04   #75
edenwatcher

Reappraisal surely means cutting product lines. Those customers won't come back, regardless of the quality of the cameras. Those of us who use DSLRs will have to get used to the fact. It is very difficult to see how things will evolve, meanwhile enjoy what we've got...

Rob

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: