Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

stay on case

Old Sunday 28th October 2018, 20:10   #1
pimpelmees

stay on case

is a stay on case necessary on the ATS 65mm scope , i like using the scope without a cover , i always put the scope in a backpack during travel good protected. Who is using this one also without a cover without problems.
Old Monday 29th October 2018, 06:33   #2
OhWeh

I'm using scopes (Zeiss DiaScope 85, Swarowski ATX 95, Zeiss Harpia) without theses cases since more 5 years. No problems. Take care for the glass surfaces, not for the armor rubber.

Means: always use caps.
Old Monday 29th October 2018, 19:50   #3
Tringa45

Agreed. By all means protect the scope when it is being transported, but in the field SOCs are just a hindrance. I even suspect that they could cause surface wear through abrasion. I used an unprotected Diascope 65 for six years, an ATM 65 for the past seven years and a Kowa 883 for the past two years and none of them showed any noticeable signs of external damage. The Zeiss and the Kowa both lacked rubber armouring.

John
Old Friday 2nd November 2018, 07:03   #4
paddy7

When i bought my ATS65HD some years ago, i was offered a deal on a Kite Skua stay-on case with it, which i took - not really knowing if it needed it or not at that stage.
The Kite case is made from a fairly substantial neoprene, and has been on ever since (other than the yearly run through a cold wash).
The Swaro 65 seems to me to be a fairly robust model and is waterproof, so technically, it probably doesn't need it. However, i have dropped it a couple of times, and feel that the case probably offered some protection. This case doesn't impede any of the functions (zoom, focus) and seems to dry quickly after being soaked. I felt it more substantial than the Swaro one -tighter fitting and more padded.
I kinda wish there was a similar product for the Kowa 883, as i feel a little more vulnerable with the magnesium body. I know of three instances of the scope toppling backwards causing impact to the 'shoulder' of the angled scope, and cracking....
It's really got to be your call on this. It's probably not strictly necessary and many don't use SOCs at all. I just thought that when buying a scope of that price, the 7% or so extra on the price for a bit of extra protection (including sand, dust etc.) was worth the peace of mind.
Old Friday 2nd November 2018, 11:53   #5
Gijs van Ginkel

paddy7, post 4,
Try to contact Kite, they may be able to supply you with one for the Kowa telescope.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Friday 2nd November 2018, 16:02   #6
Richard Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
paddy7, post 4,
Try to contact Kite, they may be able to supply you with one for the Kowa telescope.
Gijs van Ginkel
I contacted them some time ago and they don't make them to fit kowa 883
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 18:12   #7
pimpelmees

i have bought a swaro stay on case for the ATS 65mm , just for extra protection and the case fits very wel and tight .
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 19:07   #8
paddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
paddy7, post 4,
Gijs van Ginkel
Thanks for the suggestion Gijs - i guess Richard's reply is fairly conclusive, but i would not think it beyond having it done privately, if i get in the mood! I couldn't do it myself though - i still regard my sewing skills as 'cotton welding'.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: