• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sick Hummingbird? Or torpor? (1 Viewer)

TheBlackPhoebe

Hi Everyone,

I have a bunch of Hummingbird feeders around my house. Two days ago I saw a Hummingbird on one of my feeders that was puffed up and doing a slight rocking motion. I walked up a little closer to see if he needed help but he flew away. I noticed when he flew away it was slower than they usually fly. He flew to a bush and landed on a leaf not far from the feeder, then went to another bush. I was trying to keep track of him but eventually couldn’t find it anymore. So today it was around the same time of day, maybe like 5:30. It looked like the same one doing the same thing. He was kinda sticking his tounge out a little but and opened his beak a couple times. I went again to try to see if he needed help or if I could take him to the wildlife rehabilitation but he flew away again. Anyone know what this could be? I live in San Diego so it’s not freezing outside but it is getting a little chilly. Could he be going in torpor? I hate watching it thinking that he might be suffering but there’s nothing I can do. Any feedback or answers would be much appreciated.

I know it sounds harsh but Buzzys are very susceptible to viral and bacterial issues and once they're infected there's not much we can do. I see this happen a few times a year with the 300+ that visit me and the only thing that I can do to ease the pain of watching them struggle is to understand that any handling or nursing of them would be far more traumatic than and help I could provide.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back