Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Looking to digiscope with Nikon D50

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 17:42   #1
dghays

Looking to digiscope with Nikon D50

I recently purchased a Nikon D50 DSLR which came with an 18-55 and 70-300 lenses. Just found on my companies' classifieds a fujinon Super ED80 scope for $300, which appears to be a deal. I assume this:

Fujinon SLR (35mm OR Digital) Camera Adapter (850mm f/10.6 with 80mm, 850mm f/14 with 60mm) for Fujinon Spotting Scopes - Requires Camera-Specific T-Mount Adapter
Along with the T-mount should be all I then need to let'er rip?

Any commentary about how it should all work out? The D50 while not a 'pro' camera, seems to process well at ASA800, so I'd think should produce acceptably....think so? Any tips, opinions, etc are welcome. I assume I'd do shooting in shutter priority at ASA800 with tripod. What sshutter speed might be a good one to start with?

Thanks for any help,

Gary
Old Wednesday 13th December 2006, 10:51   #2
dghays

I also have an Olympus C2040 (only 2.1mp) digital camera, would that potentially work better for digiscoping?
Old Thursday 14th December 2006, 11:03   #3
Trevor Durity
Scope Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghays
Any commentary about how it should all work out? The D50 while not a 'pro' camera, seems to process well at ASA800, so I'd think should produce acceptably....think so? Any tips, opinions, etc are welcome. I assume I'd do shooting in shutter priority at ASA800 with tripod. What sshutter speed might be a good one to start with?
Hi Gary,

This is almost exactly what I'm trying to do at the moment with a William Optics scope so I'm also interested in the responses you get.

Shutter priority doesn't work for me, I have to use full manual because there is no camera lens attached while using a t-ring.
Not sure how the ED80 compares to traditional refractors but I've found on any refractors that I tried prime photography on that I needed an extension tube (about 1 1/2 inches) to allow my DSLR to reach focus.

Finding it hard to get sharp focus though because of the tiny depth of field, but that will improve with practice I guess.

Hope that helps,
Trev
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: