• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What3words (1 Viewer)

I've recently discovered this. An amazingly quick and easy way to share locations. Just WhatsApp the link, the person at the other end can then follow that to get the site onto google maps and be directed straight there. No need to even read the three words, let alone transcribe them. It's real usefulness will depend on how widely used it becomes, I'm certainly doing my bit to promote it.

Used it recently to give precise directions for parking, junctions and actual bird locations for folk who had no previous experience in the area they were gonna be birding. Seemed to be very useful.

I've used it several times and found it very handy since it's easier (in my view) to remember than a string of numbers and, unlike numbers, a minor error in inputting the place-code is easier to pick up. I've toyed with the idea of adding 'What-3-words" references to my birding guide to Cadiz province (although it's perhaps too specific) but it's a huge task involving checking & noting hundreds of points, However, if starting from scratch I think it'd be a good place to start.

To be honest, I struggle to remember any 3 words! I'm thinking What2words with a resolution of 30m squares, or even 50m squares would be much more useful! I realise I'm arguing with my original post!

I think most of us have heard about it, from a video where it is claiming it can save lives, by the emergency services using it. 3 words being easier to relay than a massive grid reference.
I'm not convinced, every possible 3 word combination must be used, and the chances of a typo, or mis-hearing over the phone are just as high. (Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance! etc.)

But It could be useful for birding.. e.g. it's in the bushes at ///dividers.later.widen !
(That one is near you in Bempton area, there's nothing there as far as I know, before I get done for what3word stringing! )

Had been quite sceptical but hadnt appreciated it went as focussed as 3x3 metre squares - my garage is "sulk.prom.improving" whilst my living room is "public.duke.zooms" 😮

Could be a great addition especially in identifying locations in generally featureless open countryside - which will be the first bird information service to use it?
Phil - Thank you for your affirmation of an incredible system. Took me exactly 10 secs to see where your home is. How so many people are sceptical just confounds me. Most won't even try to understand how the app works. Would they not take time to understand all the features on a new birding camera?

I’m wanting to go and see the hawfinches at Great Hampden. What3words would be so useful rather than in copse one mile west of house. And even better it works offline.
bonxie2003. Your post is so true. Much better than "in the copse one mile west of house" - and yes it DOES work offline! Please, may I ask what this means at the foot of your post:
Latest World lifer: 1642 White-winged Scoter, Fisherrow. 27/10/20
Latest British lifer: 444 White-winged Scoter, Fisherrow. 27/10/20
Latest Scottish lifer: 241 Black Redstart, Dunbar. 15/12/20
Latest East Lothian lifer: 162 Water Rail, Belhaven. 20/1/21
Total newbie to this forum
Gas Bottle Man

WOW - that simple. Thanks Peter.
It also suggests close matches which could help with typos.

Dave
Yes Dave Smith - it does help avoid typos by suggesting close matches. Will eBird be the first to invite members to use the app. Millions of major groups all over the world have done so since it was launched in 2013.
Gas Bottle Man

bonxie2003. Your post is so true. Much better than "in the copse one mile west of house" - and yes it DOES work offline! Please, may I ask what this means at the foot of your post:
Latest World lifer: 1642 White-winged Scoter, Fisherrow. 27/10/20
Latest British lifer: 444 White-winged Scoter, Fisherrow. 27/10/20
Latest Scottish lifer: 241 Black Redstart, Dunbar. 15/12/20
Latest East Lothian lifer: 162 Water Rail, Belhaven. 20/1/21
Total newbie to this forum
Gas Bottle Man
Hi GBM. Many birders keep lists. Above are some of the lists Bonxie keeps. Many people keep garden lists as well.

Rich

Lol - why remember - just copy and paste - sssshimple!
Well because birders would potentially use this when out watching birds, and relaying info to other birders, most likely strangers. So it'll be verbally communicated.

Let's think about this.. A better solution, would be for the recipients to open the app, and set it listening, then the guy with the info speaking the 3 words to all the phones simultaneously!

Coming back to this thread, I don't think what3words has taken off in the birding world? Anyone seen it being used, or had a positive experience with it?

The only times I've used grid refs in the last year has been os grid refs from others, or waypoints on my GPS.

There are occasions when a grid ref is preferable to what3words..
For example, if you have the position of a small rare flower, (or nest ), the grid ref allows you to easily work out how close you are in terms of north-south and east-west, compared to your current position, before actually treading on it.

Coming back to this thread, I don't think what3words has taken off in the birding world? Anyone seen it being used, or had a positive experience with it?

The only times I've used grid refs in the last year has been os grid refs from others, or waypoints on my GPS.

There are occasions when a grid ref is preferable to what3words..
For example, if you have the position of a small rare flower, (or nest ), the grid ref allows you to easily work out how close you are in terms of north-south and east-west, compared to your current position, before actually treading on it.
i've seen a few people start to use it on twitter.
James

Call me a Luddite, but this seems like another step on the road to humans losing the use of their hippocampus!
While I'm sure at some point I'm going to end up being forced to use this tool, there are clearly some disadvantages compared to using grid references or lat / long co-ordinates. With those, at least I know a local UK grid reference must begin 4xxxxx, 5xxxxx or I'm in the wrong 100km square, similarly if I'm not around 54deg. N 1 deg. W then I'm a long way from home.
What 3 Words I'm sure can prove to be a useful tool, but its at the cost of losing any concept of the relationship of one place with another - we'll just be blindly led by a mapping app to a random square. Lots of people do this all the time of course with satellite navigation, and this seems like another step down that road.

Last edited:
I don’t really agree with that. Until someone modifies the app so it includes a Star Trek style transporter you’re still going to need to figure out how to get to that random 5m square.
James

I don’t really agree with that. Until someone modifies the app so it includes a Star Trek style transporter you’re still going to need to figure out how to get to that random 5m square.
James
For example if I pointed you in the direction of ///somebody.emeralds.prepare I don’t think you would use less of your brain getting there than if I said (50.7294707, -2.2644989), unless you’re using a sextant to navigate to the latter
Cheers
James

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back