• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Independent birding in Nepal (2 Viewers)

I'd love to get back but my knees are knackered now.

Did you get Spiny Babbler James?

We only had it once, at the back of the Peace Pagoda in Pokhara.

I'd love to get back but my knees are knackered now.

Did you get Spiny Babbler James?

We only had it once, at the back of the Peace Pagoda in Pokhara.

Yup, on the slopes by Kathmandu, half hour from the airport, one of the few reason to remain there for a night! Great birds.

I didn't bird much around Pokhara, went paragliding instead!

James

ps - Duncan, jealous of that trek, I've been keen on that region for a long time, only been on the Yunnan side of the border, for a couple of tough expeditions, which was tough going but incredible scenery and excellent range of birds (and mammals).

Yup, on the slopes by Kathmandu, half hour from the airport, one of the few reason to remain there for a night! Great birds.

I didn't bird much around Pokhara, went paragliding instead!

James

ps - Duncan, jealous of that trek, I've been keen on that region for a long time, only been on the Yunnan side of the border, for a couple of tough expeditions, which was tough going but incredible scenery and excellent range of birds (and mammals).

Assuming the Hponkanrazi area hasn't been degraded, I'd certainly recommend going if the situation in N Kachin permits and you get the chance. It's the motherlode of E Himalayan goodness! Would be interesting to know how it compares with the Yunnan side (and also Namdapha, which is very close but I guess has limited access to higher elevations).

Assuming the Hponkanrazi area hasn't been degraded, I'd certainly recommend going if the situation in N Kachin permits and you get the chance. It's the motherlode of E Himalayan goodness! Would be interesting to know how it compares with the Yunnan side (and also Namdapha, which is very close but I guess has limited access to higher elevations).

We need a report and a birdlist! B :)

We need a report and a birdlist! B :)

I never did a trip report, but if you bump into Ward (Vercruysse), you can ask him as he was with me! Pretty well all the expected Eastern Himalayan species are there. A bit like Eaglenest but trekking along trails through the forest or along rivers rather than driving along a road, minus the elephants fortunately.

He never told me much about that trip, only that he went to Northern Burma... I will ask all about it next time I see him!

I never did a trip report, but if you bump into Ward (Vercruysse), you can ask him as he was with me! Pretty well all the expected Eastern Himalayan species are there. A bit like Eaglenest but trekking along trails through the forest or along rivers rather than driving along a road, minus the elephants fortunately.

I know 'Ward' but as Edward, assume it's the same chap that was with us in Cambodia for Cambodian Laughingthrush and the Ibises.

I've refrained from contributing to this thread until now, largely because I think I've already related the story of the dead Japanese trekker on the Thorung La elsewhere on Bird Forum, and whenever I tell it to friends and family (again) they tend to glaze over and tell me they've heard it before...

Seriously, Andy has a point about birding while trekking in Nepal. I did the Pokhara - Jomsom trek in November 1981, returned to do the Annapurna circuit (both as part of a longer stay in south Asia) in April 1982, then returned for a holiday in May 1989 and did the Langtang Valley trek, all the time tea-shop trekking and carrying my own stuff as well as acting as a porter for my first wife (although I was pretty strict about what to carry). I was a physically fit 20 something in those days, and had already trekked in Kashmir (Lidderwat glacier) and Zanskar before reaching Nepal.

On the Jomsom trek I felt exhausted after the Ulleri steps, spent the night vomiting out of the tea shop dorm window, and had to spend an extra day there before heading on to Gorepani through the rhododendron forest.

On the Thorung La my wife fainted on our first attempt due to the altitude, I had to more or less drag her down to lower levels and light a fire in a derelict yak herders hut to warm her up, returning to Manang where I got sick myself for the best part of a week.

The Langtang trek was *relatively* easy, although the bus journey up to the starting point is not for the faint-hearted. We explored up the valley beyond Langtang, got caught in a snowstorm and ended up spending the night in a cave (but did see Ibisbill!).

I was primarily trekking, not birding, but still managed to see loads of great stuff. Would love to go back to the Himalayas one day before I get too old to do anything, but I'd be looking at Bhutan (if I could afford it) or Arunachal Pradesh next time, both of which were firmly off-limits when I visited Nepal.

EDIT- almost forgot to mention my stepson went on a fairly hardcore organised trek (for walkers) in the region west of the Kali Gandaki a couple of years ago - somewhat off the beaten track, and involving several crossings of passes. One of their party had to be helicoptered off, they'd underestimated the physical demands of strenuous exercise at altitude, despite ample warnings about its severity.

Last edited:
I've refrained from contributing to this thread until now, largely because I think I've already related the story of the dead Japanese trekker on the Thorung La elsewhere on Bird Forum, and whenever I tell it to friends and family (again) they tend to glaze over and tell me they've heard it before...

Seriously, Andy has a point about birding while trekking in Nepal. I did the Pokhara - Jomsom trek in November 1981, returned to do the Annapurna circuit (both as part of a longer stay in south Asia) in April 1982, then returned for a holiday in May 1989 and did the Langtang Valley trek, all the time tea-shop trekking and carrying my own stuff as well as acting as a porter for my first wife (although I was pretty strict about what to carry). I was a physically fit 20 something in those days, and had already trekked in Kashmir (Lidderwat glacier) and Zanskar before reaching Nepal.

On the Jomsom trek I felt exhausted after the Ulleri steps, spent the night vomiting out of the tea shop dorm window, and had to spend an extra day there before heading on to Gorepani through the rhododendron forest.

On the Thorung La my wife fainted on our first attempt due to the altitude, I had to more or less drag her down to lower levels and light a fire in a derelict yak herders hut to warm her up, returning to Manang where I got sick myself for the best part of a week.

The Langtang trek was *relatively* easy, although the bus journey up to the starting point is not for the faint-hearted. We explored up the valley beyond Langtang, got caught in a snowstorm and ended up spending the night in a cave (but did see Ibisbill!).

I was primarily trekking, not birding, but still managed to see loads of great stuff. Would love to go back to the Himalayas one day before I get too old to do anything, but I'd be looking at Bhutan (if I could afford it) or Arunachal Pradesh next time, both of which were firmly off-limits when I visited Nepal.

EDIT- almost forgot to mention my stepson went on a fairly hardcore organised trek (for walkers) in the region west of the Kali Gandaki a couple of years ago - somewhat off the beaten track, and involving several crossings of passes. One of their party had to be helicoptered off, they'd underestimated the physical demands of strenuous exercise at altitude, despite ample warnings about its severity.

The reassuring, voice of reason!

I have a report on my website, though it is mainly a hiking report and not many bird pictures (only carried a pocket camera). It does have a bird list though.https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Thanks for the link to your website, YuShan, I have read through your trip reports over the last few days. Nice reports, great birds and some excellent photos. I envy you spending so much time alone in such wonderful landscapes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back