• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cannibalistic Storks (1 Viewer)

Hi there!

I've been watching the Wamel (Netherlands) Stork Cam for weeks and was pleased to see that four of the five eggs had hatched. The babies were doing well and the fifth egg remained unhatched. When I logged on a couple of days ago, there were only two babies - a very big one and a tiny one. The others were gone but, paradoxically, the dead egg remained.

Research followed and I discovered that Storks often eat their babies in times of hardship but these were overloaded with frogs - the nest was heaving with them! What possessed them to eat their other babies?

Another question about the Wamel Storks. Does anyone know anything about the 'tragedy' that happened last year? Whilst researching the cannibalism I discovered several YouTube videos showing an injured mother and what looked like one remaining dead baby and some reference to starvation and a severe storm. Can anyone enlighten me as to what happened to them last year and are these the same pair?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back