• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today's Visitors (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Today in the garden we have had lots and lots and lots of chaffinches, rooks, 4 male pheasant, blackbirds, robins, greenfinches, blue tits, great tits, coal tits, magpies, jays, woodpigeons, a wren, squirrels and a muntjac.

Here are some of them:

Attachments

• rook.jpg
    rook.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 80
  • Chaffinch1.jpg
    Chaffinch1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 4 pheasant.jpg
    4 pheasant.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Squirrel.jpg
    Squirrel.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 55

Attachments

• muntjac1.jpg
    muntjac1.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 60
  • muntjac2.jpg
    muntjac2.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 63
  • muntjac3.jpg
    muntjac3.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 57
That's a goodly selection, Kits! I'm sure that it is nice to see the Muntjac, but guess that you are not overly pleased by the visit!

The Coal Tits have been on overtime here today and there have been one or two squabbles amongst the Blackbirds. I reckon that it is the migrant ones who are getting in on the local's patch. Seem to recal something similar last winter.

Very nice Kits. How lucky are you having all this wildlife in your garden.

Do the muntjacs cause any damage to your plants? I think they're lovely little animals and I'll swap some of your chaffinches for plenty of my House Sparrows.

Ooooh Muntjac o:) I'd LOVE to see some of those :t: I absolutely adore deer......I think I'm the only one who DOES enjoy the deer clips on AutumnWatch ;):-O

Gorgeous pics Kits - you get some lovely species visiting you :t:

Thank you ladies!

Wendy - I have to admit (secretly) that I quite like to see the muntjac. I just get cross when they start to nibble my plants!

Bea - yes, the little blighters use our garden as a Michelin starred restaurant! We have had to have the back encircled with deer proof fence as it was getting beyond a joke, but the front is all open plan so they wander around at will most days.

Gill - thank you! Yes we are very lucky to live in such a wild life friendly area.

Lovely photo's Kits. You do get a lot of Pheasents in your garden. I would like the Muntjac too, though I can see if a lot arrived all together your plants would suffer. Do the other gardens in your area get them too?

I want to move house.o:D We do get the odd Pheasent, but no animals, we used to get rabbits, they ate the lettuces |:D| but it's too built up here now.

I've only ever seen one Muntjac Deer 'live'.o:D That was in Norfolk and I was told to report it as they were so scarce and timid. That was sometime ago and I now see they are garden visitors!

There was concern voiced up here sometime ago Kits about them spreading north and having a real effect on the plant life. Best keep them in your garden where you can feed and control them.;)

We saw Muntjac deer in our last abode, and there where quite a few of them to speak about. If you drove along the lane to our house in a rural area, we could see a few dotted, here and there. i have to say that they are very attractive animals (despite of their bad habit of eating plants in gardens)

Never saw them in our garden area only on the country lane outside the gates. So cannot complain at all.

Val: We had pheasants in our last garden, and they where beautiful to look at - especially when the male bird showed his best breeding plumage. He was one handsome boy. o:)

We had four cock pheasant again this morning, but they weren't all the same ones. Yesterday 1 had a white neck ring and 3 didn't; today 2 had white neckrings and 2 didn't. Wonder who will turn up tomorrow?

I was hoping to get some pics today to add to this thread, but the birds have all been so flighty in the strong wind that I've not had the chance. :-C

You obviously have quite a number of Pheasants visiting you, Kits. Every now and then, usually in the summer, we get a couple who wander round this estate as if they own the place! Mostly they live in the fields at the back of our road, along with a multitude of Woodies for company.

That's some wildlife plot you've got there Kits. Do you find the Muntjac to be at all destructive? Your pics are very good, especially the one's of the deer.

Baz.

Yes, Baz. The muntjac and the roe both eat our plants!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Hi Kits,

I'm a bit slow to catch up with this one, apologies.

Goodness Gracious me, what a collection. I can't get anywhere near that lot in my garden (which is probably just as well, there wouldn't be room for me!).

Great set of photos, I must say that I do like to see things not just read about them. I must just say that that Rook looks a bit tatty, maybe a late moult. On the other hand the Chaffinch looks pretty smart, nice shot.

Bill

I find it interesting that both species that are attracting interest on here are introduced species rather than native. Isn't that a concern?

I don't think there is concern in the case where Muntjak deer & Pheasents have established, Dan, as both seem to have found a niche not occupied by a similar species.
Pheasents have been here many years & are still bred for shooting & some escape into the countryside in most areas all the time, I know a lot of the population in an area of Cornwall have. At certain times of the year they are out in numbers, whether these survive I don't know. I think it's the same in other areas where there seem to be a lot.

Muntjak aren't so wide spread, I don't think there are any in my part of the country. Though someone might know better.

In my opinion these two species don't cause a problem like other introduced/accidentals can do.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back