• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars do you use most (and why...)? (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Afternoon all,

I was just thinking today that despite all of my many options of binoculars, I tend to gravitate towards mostly utilizing just using a few.

Until they 'disappeared', my 8x25 Victory Pockets were by far my most used model; they are so light, compact, and provide such an easy and high quality view that I'd grab them for just on the go nature viewing as well as long day hikes. I even used them as primary birding binoculars if the conditions were right (e.g. grassland bird surveys in full sun).

Since their disappearance, my most compact model is the Kowa BDII XD 6.5x32 and it offers much the same as the Victory Pocket, though with an even easier (but slightly reduced quality) view although in a slightly more cumbersome packet, so I tend to grab it most frequently.

Neither the Zeiss VP nor the Kowa BDII are my best or favorite binoculars, they just seem to be grabbed most often due to the small size and ease of view.

Justin

Last edited:
Hi,

that would be my pair of E2 8x30 which resides right beside the balcony door and gets grabbed when having a look over the river and at the bird sanctuary on the other side...

Closely followed by my pair of Papilio II 6.5x which is usually in my backpack in case I see sth interesting on my bike commute or when I go for a hike and not specifically birding.

Joachim

For about a year it has been Monarch HG 8x42s. They're kept handy for back yard use and are most often with me as I go out birding. I've used mostly 8x32 bins for the last nearly 20 years but now am enjoying these Nikons. Why? They are light and friendly to hold/use and deliver a beautiful image under nearly all conditions and size/weight penalty over most 8x32 bins is slight.

Second most used now, though you didn't ask, are 8x25 Victory Pocket.

Last edited:
I use my Docter Nobilem 10x50 most. It has some very nice view, some good magnification while it is still hand holdable. It is admittedly not small nor lightweight but you see things better. I am surprised over and over again how well it does in bad lighting conditions even at night. It feels like a "serious" binocular, like an instrument not like a toy.
However during serious rain or similar conditions I prefer to carry my fully waterproof CZJ EDF 7x40.

At the moment the Habicht 7x42. Incredible image quality in the centre, absolutely neutral colour, light, large exit pupil.

I can live with the small field of view and the stiff focus.

Hermann

Monarch HG 8x30 is the most used - looking out the windows, local walks, local birding, etc. "Serious" outings usually mean an 8x42SF or 10x42EL, but even combined they don't see as much overall use as the 8x30.

Lately it has been our Leica 7x35 Retrovid because it is new, and interesting. However, during birding season it is my 8x32 Swarovski EL SV, mainly because of it’s handy size/weight. TBH our 8.5x42 SV provides a more pleasing view, but I just seem to grab the 32mm more often.

For me it's my Sky Blue II. This is because they live in my jeep all through hot and cold weather. (There is an estuary pond on the way to the store for me.)

Hello,

I share my binocular use time between the Meostar 8x32 B and my Habicht W GA 10X40.

Best!

PHA

I sent my 10x42 SF in for service and have been using my new Swarovision 10x50. I like it a lot. I wear glasses and the view is the best I have seen so I can deal with the little extra weight. I can hold them very still too I think due to extra weight and the way they fit me. I use real glass in my eye glasses and find it gives me an extremely transparent view compared to plastic eye glasses. Highly recommend the 10x50 if you wear glasses and want the absolute best view.

Since I'm in that endless "quest for the perfect binoculars" it depends on what I'm trying at the moment.
Right now it's the EL SV 8x32 for anything that means leaving the house. It is just so very bright and sharp. Then there's two things that I pay special attention to (or that I value especially): the handling comfort. The 8x32 EL are a dream to hold, the proportions, the materials, it's just a pleasure to grab them. And second it's the ease of view. When looking through them, these 8x32 feel "like x42", so to speak. And this is something I find it isn't so in many 8x30-32 that deliver a good performance, but that leave you wanting in the ease of view department.

Looking back, generally speaking it's always the 8x30 Nikon EII. No matter which binoculars may come and go, the EII is like a good old friend that always delivers. A joy to hold in the hands, a joy to look through :) Clean, crisp view, with a wide angle feeling you miss in other binoculars. So reassuring, so "mechanical" (in the best sense of the term). Simply an outstanding little device. I thing if I had to have on ly one, this would be it.

Last edited:
I have heard a lot from the porro folks....in my 'too' quest for the perfect binocular. But my impression of porro's is that they are (a) slow to focus (and for birding this is important), and (b) not particularly 'travel' ready, and (c) the specs are not much to look at either. So, what am I missing? Now, like just about anyone who has been birding for years, I started with a porro but worked by way to the roofs for any of the reasons I mentioned.

Now Admittedly the view in a porro can be stunning. I look at my old Audobon Porro's from Swift or Bushnell etc and they were pretty solid against my current Zeiss HT. That is a given in my eyes.

But why return to a porro? ....Someone enlighten me.... Should I pick up a Nikon E11 or a Habicht and see? What am I going to see over those that my Swift is not seeing (as I said I am impressed with the view) and why should I shift back to a Porro given my (A,B, C's) above?

I’m currently borrowing some Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 and love them. I was going to buy the 5’s just from research and price point but my buddy let me borrow his 7’s. They are a little heavier than I would have thought but I don’t have enough experience to know.

8x32 EL SV for me, 8 years running.

I like the 8.5 SV a little better, but generally go for less weight and size. The 8.5 has been with me for 10 years now.

Lots of good views with those two! I've looked at a lot of others, but so far no pressing desire to change things.

Kowa Genesis 8x33 because my SF is still with Zeiss, the Genesis continues to impress though and may eventually make anything "better" somewhat redundant.

I have heard a lot from the porro folks....in my 'too' quest for the perfect binocular. But my impression of porro's is that they are (a) slow to focus (and for birding this is important), and (b) not particularly 'travel' ready, and (c) the specs are not much to look at either. So, what am I missing? Now, like just about anyone who has been birding for years, I started with a porro but worked by way to the roofs for any of the reasons I mentioned.

Now Admittedly the view in a porro can be stunning. I look at my old Audobon Porro's from Swift or Bushnell etc and they were pretty solid against my current Zeiss HT. That is a given in my eyes.

But why return to a porro? ....Someone enlighten me.... Should I pick up a Nikon E11 or a Habicht and see? What am I going to see over those that my Swift is not seeing (as I said I am impressed with the view) and why should I shift back to a Porro given my (A,B, C's) above?

What you will see when you compare an E2 to a Swift or Bushnell is better colours, less flare/glare, better edges. What you will feel is less weight and really nice handling.

Regarding
A: not all porros are created equal. An 8x30 E2 focusses faster than a Swaro 8x30 CL.
B: For rough travel just have a roof as back-up. I use a Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD for travel and serious hiking.
C: As to the specs of the 8x30 E2, Zeiss and the new Swaro NL are just getting there, 20 years after the fact ;)

I can't speak for other porros, but the 8x30 E2 is a very friendly glass that scores very high on a lot of optical categories. And gives an unequaled 3-D view to boot. If you like binoculars you should do yourself the favour of trying one :)

George

I’m currently borrowing some Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 and love them. I was going to buy the 5’s just from research and price point but my buddy let me borrow his 7’s. They are a little heavier than I would have thought but I don’t have enough experience to know.
Why don't you try Monarch 8x30...? They are less expensive and very light in under 500 g weight. :t:

Used a pair of Canon 12x36 IS II from December, 2004, until February, 2019, when I replaced them with the Canon 12x32 IS, mostly because of the improved close focus. I find the steady 12x magnification allows for better views and easier identifications.

If I am inclined to venture out in wet weather, I have waterproof 7x42 and 8x32, but I miss the steady view.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back