• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

some pics from today, thanks Craig for spotting the Redshank. Robin's apparently like bits of Jaffa cakes looks like the birds are starting to behave like the work crews

Attachments

• IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2461.JPG
    IMG_2461.JPG
    627.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2465.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    621.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2471.JPG
    IMG_2471.JPG
    703.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2473.JPG
    IMG_2473.JPG
    747.5 KB · Views: 83
A great effort today considering the weather.
Thanks to all 13 vols. Tracy and Daughter Helen Newby), Phil A, Des J, Graham L, John L, Mary & Tim O, Steve P, Craig R, Mike W, Phil W and me.:t:

Today we worked in the East end of the Hen Pool. Here are many willow pollards that were cut back 4 years ago. In October we coppiced the willows to the east and today's work joined that area. We have now a complete open area interspersed with thorn scrub, patches of bramble and large areas of wetland vegetation dominated by reeds and bullrushes. There are also large brash piles for hibernating animals, insects and nesting birds. Unfortunately there are no viewing facilities over this site, which is a pity as I am sure much goes undetected. Today there was Cetti's warbler, chiffchaff, stonechat, water rail, kestrel and reed bunting while we were working.
Hopefully in time facilities will forthcoming to appreciate this area.
Pics
1. Before work
2. after work as viewed from cuckoo hide
3. View along the area we cut back today, Mary/Tim's photo shows how thick the willows were half way through the work.
4. A view looking back to the Hen Pool hide - showing how extensive the reed bed is. Also a dodgy geazer on the right8-P
5. View of area we have worked on today from the side of the main Flashes hide.

Attachments

• 1.before work on Hen pool willows east side Dec 2015 DSCF1220.jpg
    1.before work on Hen pool willows east side Dec 2015 DSCF1220.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 2. after willows hen pooleast DSCF2411.jpg
    2. after willows hen pooleast DSCF2411.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 3.view from east hen pool willows cut today looking to sewage wrks lDSCF2406.jpg
    3.view from east hen pool willows cut today looking to sewage wrks lDSCF2406.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 4. east hen pool looking over hen pool hide aftaer dec wrk DSCF2408.jpg
    4. east hen pool looking over hen pool hide aftaer dec wrk DSCF2408.jpg
    954.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 4a. view of todays work from main hide looking north DSCF2428.jpg
    4a. view of todays work from main hide looking north DSCF2428.jpg
    744.6 KB · Views: 101
some pics from today, thanks Craig for spotting the Redshank. Robin's apparently like bits of Jaffa cakes looks like the birds are starting to behave like the work crews

Tim why do I always have pictures when I'm not working 8-P I'm glad you took these pics I had forgotten to get the before work pictures:t:

Open Vista

Today we completed the plan to 'open' up the area north of the 1st Flash. This will counteract the 'enclosed' effect created by the reedbed on the 2nd Flash east shore, sewage works and southern side of 2nd Flash shore.

Pics taken from track between cuckoo and main flashes hides
The 1st photo shows how the willows along the 1st flash north side looked in September
2nd pic shows how it looks after today's work

Attachments

• 6 before work on hen pool sept 2105 . DSCF0960.jpg
    6 before work on hen pool sept 2105 . DSCF0960.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 5. after all work on hen pool willows east side dec 15 DSCF2420.jpg
    5. after all work on hen pool willows east side dec 15 DSCF2420.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Birding today on the reserve

A brief bird from the east hide before work party.
Little Grebe 2, shoveler 30, Teal 145, Pochard 17 (11 males), tufted 22, coot 250, curlew 13, snipe 3, cetti's w, siskin 2, redpoll.

Flashes: Teal 20, Shoveler 5, mallard 55, water rail, snipe c10, Jack snipe 4 or 5, curlew 13, lapwing 500+, redshank, BHG 650 - 700 roosted, Kestrel, buzzard, raven 2, stock dove 5, fieldfare c80, redwing 10, grey wag, siskin, redpoll, Cetti's w, chiffchaff, Stonechat, goldcrest 2, reed bunting 5+.

Sailing Pool: Smew flew off south at 3.55pm, Great white egret and 3 little egrets came into roost this evening. GCG 11, little grebe 2 min, tufted 6.

I'm more worried about what's happened to my hair - I will be looking like John and Spike in no time! :eek!:

and Trace 8-P proper blokes as Steve would say:-O

Thanks Tim and Mary for cakes complemented our Welsh cakes. Could do with Muntjac coming back soon ....lemon drizzle:eat::eat:

Today we completed the plan to 'open' up the area north of the 1st Flash. This will counteract the 'enclosed' effect created by the reedbed on the 2nd Flash east shore, sewage works and southern side of 2nd Flash shore.

Pics taken from track between cuckoo and main flashes hides
The 1st photo shows how the willows along the 1st flash north side looked in September
2nd pic shows how it looks after today's work

Thanks for posting this John - it's a really good before and after comparison and shows the extent of the task accomplished over two work parties

Last edited:
A brief bird from the east hide before work party.
Little Grebe 2, shoveler 30, Teal 145, Pochard 17 (11 males), tufted 22, coot 250, curlew 13, snipe 3, cetti's w, siskin 2, redpoll.

Flashes: Teal 20, Shoveler 5, mallard 55, water rail, snipe c10, Jack snipe 4 or 5, curlew 13, lapwing 500+, redshank, BHG 650 - 700 roosted, Kestrel, buzzard, raven 2, stock dove 5, fieldfare c80, redwing 10, grey wag, siskin, redpoll, Cetti's w, chiffchaff, Stonechat, goldcrest 2, reed bunting 5+.

Sailing Pool: Smew flew off south at 3.55pm, Great white egret and 3 little egrets came into roost this evening. GCG 11, little grebe 2 min, tufted 6.

"Great White Egret and 3 Little Egrets came into roost this evening." You wouldn't have been using those words not that long ago John.

Des.

Saturday's visit.

Sailing Pool:
Drake Goosander

Flashes:
Redshank (slightly dishevelled)

Attachments

• IMG_1985a.jpg
    IMG_1985a.jpg
    814.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1986a.jpg
    IMG_1986a.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1989a.jpg
    IMG_1989a.jpg
    767.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1921a.jpg
    IMG_1921a.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1935a.jpg
    IMG_1935a.jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 70
Hi Phil, In my 40 years of birding UW I've managed 179 species with 3 new this year, Smew, GWE and GG Shrike.
My list should read 178 and 4 for this year, Egyptian Goose, Smew, GWE and Rb Shrike (the GG Shrike was Middleton Lakes).
Today besides the GWE and Smew also seen were,
Moors, 1 Shelduck.
Flashes, 1 Redshank, 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Stonechat, 1 Siskin and 3 Redpoll.

My list should read 178 and 4 for this year, Egyptian Goose, Smew, GWE and Rb Shrike (the GG Shrike was Middleton Lakes).
Today besides the GWE and Smew also seen were,
Moors, 1 Shelduck.
Flashes, 1 Redshank, 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Stonechat, 1 Siskin and 3 Redpoll.

Cheers Geoff - was the Stonechat the same bird as per Craig's photo above?

Given the latest surge of good birds, I attached a revised Top 15 known (more or less) listers at Upton Warren:

1) John Belsey - 214 (latest: Egyptian Goose)
2) Andy Warr - 206 (latest: Smew)
=3) Terry Hinett - 204 (latest: Red-necked Grebe)
=3) Mike Wakeman - 204 (latest: Smew)
5) Des Jennings - 202 (latest: Caspian Gull)
6) Dave Jackson - 199 (latest: Smew)
7) Mike Inskip - 196 (latest: Great White Egret)
8) Richard Harbird - 195 (latest: Shorelark)
9) Dave Walker - 194 (latest: Red-necked Grebe)
=10) Phil Andrews - 192 (latest: Smew)
=10) Paul Croft - 192 (latest: Great White Egret)
12) Rob Prudden - 189 (latest: Osprey)
13) Graham La Bouchardiere - 182 (latest: Bluethroat)
14) Gert Corfield - 178 (latest: Smew)
15) Craig Reed - 132 (latest: Red-backed Shrike)

Again I would caveat this as several birders who lists aren't known would be expected to feature including Arthur Jacobs (approx. 210?), Steve Whitehouse (210+) and John Ridley (205+?) plus the likes of Stuart Croft, Gordon Greaves, John Sirrett, Gene Timmins and Roger Hill.

If anyone wishes to add their list (or revise their current total) please let me know

Hi Phil - you can put me down for a very stagnant 193 - last new one little egret. Could be 194 if the GWE stays for crimbo!B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back