• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best American field guide (1 Viewer)

28vanelli

Hello,

Uk based beginner but I may be heading Stateside at some time this year so I's like to ask which bird guide is generally seen as the best when it comes to US birds. I seem to remember hearing it's Sibley's but was wondering if it's been superceded.

I know it's essentially a matter of opinion and there's probably a dozen books with about the same information, but all opinions welcome!

Hello,

Uk based beginner but I may be heading Stateside at some time this year so I's like to ask which bird guide is generally seen as the best when it comes to US birds. I seem to remember hearing it's Sibley's but was wondering if it's been superceded.

I know it's essentially a matter of opinion and there's probably a dozen books with about the same information, but all opinions welcome!

Depending on where you're going the smaller Eastern/Western field guide versions of the large Sibley are very good. The larger Sibley is quite a large tome.

For a very portable yet comprehensive guide, Kaufman's Birds of North America is excellent. The text and maps are directly integrated with the images, behaviour and distinguishing characteristics are called out and differences from confusingly similar species are noted.

I seem to remember hearing it's Sibley's but was wondering if it's been superceded.

No, nothing really new has come since Sibley to challenge it. Just tweaking of previous guides/approaches. But if you are not terribly familiar with NA birds you might consider either or both of the Sibley regional guides, since they are bit more beginner-friendly, with more textual info.

Best,
Jim

Kaufman's...the images are better I feel and it is small enough to carry around on a hike.

Also one that has not been mentioned is the National Geographic two book set (Field Guide to western / eastern). The National Geo was revised in 2008 and I believe is the best book to show sub-species, birds in flight etc.

Kaufman's...the images are better I feel and it is small enough to carry around on a hike.

Also one that has not been mentioned is the National Geographic two book set (Field Guide to western / eastern). The National Geo was revised in 2008 and I believe is the best book to show sub-species, birds in flight etc.

Those are fine guides, but it should be noted that Kaufman's is a photo guide. I think photo guides are good as a supplement, but the advantages of paintings are well known.

And regarding Nat Geo being the best for birds in flight, I couldn't disagree more. Sibley has every bird depicted in flight--both upperwing and underwing. My nat geo (latest) 5th ed. has at most half the birds depicted in flight--and almost no passerines. It shows no subspecies of Marsh Wren while Sibley displays three. (I don't have the east/west nat geo guides, but I'm not aware they improve on the North Am. guide in these respects).

Best,
Jim

As you can see...to each their own. I don't like the paintings in Sibley, hence the very same reason there is more than one guide to purchase :)...

While the Kaufman is photo based, the pictures are highlighted for the critical ID elements and seem very serviceable to me. Paintings may offer advantages to some, as J Moore notes,but the Kaufman benefits of compact size, full country coverage and good emphasis on the ID essentials are sufficient imo to make it a plausible contender among birding field guides.

I own both National Geographic and Sibley's Bird Guides. I believe the drawings in Sibley's are far superior, especially when it comes to raptors, shorebirds, and sparrows. I always find myself carrying the Sibley's and leaving the National Geographic at home.

I looked at the Kaufman book in the bookstore. I don't think I'd want to by it as my sole resource.

Carlos

In my opinion, more guides is better; I have six or so and I think seeing different depictions of birds can be helpful if you aren't sure what you've seen, since one book might show a feature that is less prominently displayed in another book. However, if you are simply visiting, having only one guide would make the most sense (for economic and portability reasons) and in that case my vote goes to Sibley.

Depends how much you want to read it ahead of time: Peterson's is probably better for identifying in the field, but Sibley's is an amazing reference.
The photo guides keep getting better, but they still aren't as good as illustrations (mostly because of too few photos in most guides)

If you are East or West, Sibley for that half is good. If I were in Texas, I would carry a book for the whole country. Kaufman is OK, and the most compact. The text is ideal there. Peterson text is good too.

You can't go wrong with Nat Geo or Sibleys, you will find both have their strengths and weaknesses. If I could choose just one...Nat Geo.

Cheers!

Russ

I would recommend a nat geo guide and a regional Sibley. Nat Geo is especially useful if your hitting any border areas, since it has better coverage of vagrants.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back