• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (2 Viewers)

Thanks for the info Jim. Until very recently a number of booksellers were still showing the Seabirds of the World book on their websites along with an expected publication date. Most seem to have removed it now.

Just published a book for albatross admirers:

Around the World for Albatrosses Where to See All the Albatross Species by Otto Plantema

https://www.nhbs.com/around-the-wor...-58817273&mc_cid=0cb89ec74d&mc_eid=a95fdefca3

Today I've got my copy of this book. The photographic work is extraordinary good especially the sunset photo. Plantema has photographed all albatross species except for the Amsterdam Albatross. For this species Remi Bigonneau has provided two photographes.

Any idea what's new in this 3rd edition of the first title?
I don't know for certain.
I would guess an update to the handbook section with current information on species populations/trends/threats etc.
There may also be further content on distinguishing difficult to id 'pairings' - such as Black Kite/Little Eagle dark morph, Black Falcon/Brown Falcon dark morph, etc. I know these features were added for the 2nd edition and may be expanded in the third. I will let you know next week.

I have the first edition to compare it to, which I will probably give to a school or charity or something.

Chosun :gh:

I don't know for certain.
I would guess an update to the handbook section with current information on species populations/trends/threats etc.
There may also be further content on distinguishing difficult to id 'pairings' - such as Black Kite/Little Eagle dark morph, Black Falcon/Brown Falcon dark morph, etc. I know these features were added for the 2nd edition and may be expanded in the third. I will let you know next week.

I have the first edition to compare it to, which I will probably give to a school or charity or something.

Thanks.

The flight guide is pricey for a 150 page photo guide.

Thanks,
I've ordered the flight guide based simply on the fact that it 'should' I hope, cover more ages than the standard adult / juv of a standard field guide.

I await your review of the other.

My two raptor books arrived today ! :D

Very happy to have them in hand - I will do a bit of a review after I have read through them a bit.

These are the most detailed and advanced books on Australian raptors for id purposes as far as I am aware. I initially learnt to id (mostly correctly! :) raptors by reading earlier versions over and over and over again before venturing out, and then constantly re-checking (still do ! :)

I had pretty high expectations of these new versions and books. Already I can see some difficulties that I have not being addressed as well as I would have liked. More later .......

The Australian Birds of Prey in Flight book has a consistent presentation of 'perspective' (size related to distance and size of birds relative to each other) throughout the book - so that's handy.

My two raptor books arrived today ! :D

Very happy to have them in hand - I will do a bit of a review after I have read through them a bit.

These are the most detailed and advanced books on Australian raptors for id purposes as far as I am aware. I initially learnt to id (mostly correctly! :) raptors by reading earlier versions over and over and over again before venturing out, and then constantly re-checking (still do ! :)

I had pretty high expectations of these new versions and books. Already I can see some difficulties that I have not being addressed as well as I would have liked. More later .......

The Australian Birds of Prey in Flight book has a consistent presentation of 'perspective' (size related to distance and size of birds relative to each other) throughout the book - so that's handy.

I really don't like this format at all and it is expensive for what it is!

I like Palearctic field guides as they are handy for rare and extra-limital species in my part of the World and as tantalisers for future trips so the new Mongolian guide and the other one on the other Central Asian countries:t:

Laurie -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back