• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.6x extender on 770? (1 Viewer)

I recently purchased a 774 and got the wide zoom to go along with it. I’m wondering if anybody has tried 1.6x extender on 770. I understand atmospheric conditions will greatly limit me. But it’s still an intriguing setup that I have not seen much mention of with the 770 series.

Hi,

a good example of 774 should be able to work well with the extender. My 30 year old TSN-3 (also a 77mm instrument, albeit with fluorite instead of ED glass) works fine with the extender at 96x.

In my opinion the effect of atmospheric conditions is vastly overrated on most days for low magnifications as used with spotting scopes - even with extender.

If you use an astro scope at 150x and up, seeing is often your limiting factor rather than instrument quality. But if a spotter does not look nice and sharp at 60x and the best focus point is not easy to find but you can only decide on a fairly wide range where the image is least fuzzy on your regular grey day, it is most probably not a problem atmospheric conditions but rather one of so-so or worse optics.

So I can only advise you to first try if you get a sharp image at 60x with a well defined focus point on cloudy day. If that works fine, maybe read up in here on star testing, there have been good threads on that lately. If the star test looks good, chances are good you will have good views with the extender too.

Joachim

...In my opinion the effect of atmospheric conditions is vastly overrated on most days for low magnifications as used with spotting scopes - even with extender...

Depends on prevailing weather conditions where you live. I have massive problems with wiggly air much of the time. It also depends on the distance of observation. Since I usually only need high magnification to identify birds when I am very distant, I'm often trying to see through a lot of air...and it often isn't pretty.

--AP

No 770 scope here, but a couple of TSN's an 82SV and a 664. I was out side a few minutes ago and looking through the 665 with a 25x ler and realized I had the 1.6x adapter installed. I played with it a few minutes then took it off for comparison. It is a bright sunny day, temp in lower 60's F. Mirage was more noticeable with the extender, and focus was more critical or trickier. I was looking at a distant house probably about 600 yards away.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back