• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Humpbacks and Orcas Of North America (1 Viewer)

Michael Daniel Ho

The Wildlife Ho-tographer
We are getting an 'abundance' of large whales (Blues and Fins) off our Southern California coast. The immense krill population seems to be the big draw. Visit my website to see more cetaceans.

http://MichaelDanielHo.com

Attachments

• whale.jpg
    whale.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 62
  • orca.jpg
    orca.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 72
  • whale75.jpg
    whale75.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 58
  • kwhale.jpg
    kwhale.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 71
  • whale96.jpg
    whale96.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 68
Fantastic and exciting whale photos. Especially like the leaping whales. We are seeing more whales in 2009 off the Canadian west coast as well.

Ocean Animals on the West Coast

The entire West Coast is experiencing an odd ocean animals kind of winter.

Along with the abundance of whales off the southern coast, there's also an influx of giant squid along the entire California Coast. Sea Lion populations are moving north in search of food sources. I read one story about juvenile sea lions (over nine months in age, and newly independent from parents) literally starving in off shore locations due to the movement of their food sources and their inability to keep pace with the movement.

see also Ocean Animals

Enjoyed the Orca photos the most but all are very attention grabbing. Interesting that they are coming in near the coast in large numbers. Thanks for posting. :)

Fantastic and exciting whale photos. Especially like the leaping whales. We are seeing more whales in 2009 off the Canadian west coast as well.

The extra sightings of whales are very exciting for us. On the West Coast, we get to see the Gray Whales migrating down to Mexico. They make one of the longest migration journey of any big whales.

The entire West Coast is experiencing an odd ocean animals kind of winter.

Along with the abundance of whales off the southern coast, there's also an influx of giant squid along the entire California Coast. Sea Lion populations are moving north in search of food sources. I read one story about juvenile sea lions (over nine months in age, and newly independent from parents) literally starving in off shore locations due to the movement of their food sources and their inability to keep pace with the movement.

see also Ocean Animals

The famous Sealions on Pier 39 in Fishermen's Wharf in San Francisco have actually moved on to Southern Oregon, apparently in search of food. This is unheard of because the Sealions are such a landmark for the Fishermen's Wharf and a tourist delight for many years.

Exciting action shots. Great photos. How can whalers still hunt these magnificent animals?

Thanks for your interest. Whales are such fascinating and magnificent animals. I can watch and photograph them for hours. Going down to Central America tomorrow with a stop at Cabo San Lucas. They should have some great Humpback action down there since some of the whales spend their winter around that area. Will post more photos upon my return.

Good for you. Pretty cool. Post more shots...........chris

Thanks for your comments, Chris. Just came back from Central America on a wildlife shoot. Stopped in on the Baja Peninsula on the way down. The Humpback action was fantastic even though I was drenched by the sea water once the waves got rough because I was in a zodiac. Caught a mother and calf pair and they came right up and under the zodiac repeatedly. I have never seen 35 foot, 35 ton in action SO close and it was AWESOME. How often do you see a calf breaching, tail slapping and spyhopping? Here's the photos. Visit my website to see more photos

Attachments

• whale104.jpg
    whale104.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 50
  • whale105.jpg
    whale105.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 44
  • whale103.jpg
    whale103.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 44
  • whale106.jpg
    whale106.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 47
  • whale109.jpg
    whale109.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 43
Great whale photos. :t: I envy you getting so close to these wonderful giants. The leaping calf is cool. Never seen a calf breach before. What equipment were you using?

Wow, this is a fantastic set. I have never seen a Humpback Calf breach before. This little guy must be very happy. :t:

Made a trip to Alaska recently. The cetaceans were plentiful but getting up to them proved challenging. For more photos, visit my website.

Attachments

• whale127.jpg
    whale127.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 39
  • whale19.jpg
    whale19.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 40
  • orca12.jpg
    orca12.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 40
  • orca16.jpg
    orca16.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back