• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glanville Fritillary RFI (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

I'll hopefully be heading down to Hampshire for the Glanville Fritillarys again this year and was after a bit of advice. We tried last year at Hordle Cliffs on May 31st without much luck. It seems that we were too late. Should we be aiming for mid-May or were they extra early last year?
Also, Hordle Cliffs or Hurst Castle, which would be the best bet?
Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil.

On the four occasions i have visited Hordle cliff most sightings have been during the third and into the fourth week of May with the latest being around the 7th June where just two individuals were sighted however i have not been for three years now so the above info is possibly not that relevent.

Best of luck with your visit.

Dave.

Glanville Fritillaries are being reported at the moment at Wheelers Down Ventnor on the Isle of Wight, but not yet in Hampshire as far as I am aware.

Dave W

Thanks to you both. Looks like the next week or so, weather permitting, will be our best bet. Have you got any info on the terrain at Hurst Castle as my mate has replacement hips and knees and so Hordle cliffs were a bit of a challenge.

Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil,

If you choose Hurst Castle, you shouldn't have to walk too far. From the pay and display car park at keyhaven it's a short walk to the small ferry which takes you right out to the castle. The Glanvilles are in that immediate area. Admittedly the terrain is a bit uneven in places but it's basically flat and you don't have to cover much ground.

Dave W

Well, we tried. The weather forecast wasn't too bad, 18-19 degrees, sunny spells and a gentle south-westerly. In reality, about 12 degrees, overcast and a near gale. As you can imagine, there was not a lot on the wing, in fact just 1 Common Blue being buffeted by the wind on top of Hordle Cliff.
We then gave Martin Down a visit in the hope that conditions were more favourable inland. They were, but not much. We didn't see a single butterfly on the wing for nearly an hour with just 1 Small Blue and a few Common Blues found sheltering. Then miraculously we managed to Duke of Burgundys to save the day.
Looks like a trip to the Isle of Wight next year.

Phil

Hi Phil,

If you try Hordle Cliff again, it might be worth walking along the base of the cliff, actually on the bare pebble beach. We saw our only GF by doing this, about 3 metres out from the base of the cliff, after spending several hours searching in vain for them on the slopes and along the top. This was thanks to a tip-off from another buttyman we met at the site, who had kindly hastened hundreds of metres out of his way to pass on the gen to us.

Hi Phil,

If you try Hordle Cliff again, it might be worth walking along the base of the cliff, actually on the bare pebble beach. We saw our only GF by doing this, about 3 metres out from the base of the cliff, after spending several hours searching in vain for them on the slopes and along the top. This was thanks to a tip-off from another buttyman we met at the site, who had kindly hastened hundreds of metres out of his way to pass on the gen to us.

Hi Larry,
We did try along the beach as well, at least my mate did after doing an "Olga Korbett" down the last 15' of the cliff! Not a great idea with 2 replacement knees and 2 replacement hips!:-O (Shouldn't laugh really but he was fine).
And David, I think you're right, the Island does look rather pleasant and I am rather sick of Hordle Cliffs.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back