• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thraupidae (1 Viewer)

It seems that for the most part, existing generic splits are 4-7 million years old. A simple solution would be: older than that, different genera, younger same genera. In between, case by case depending on continuity, homogeneity, comparison of splits with close relatives and what the split looks like (twiggy branching or not). A couple of very homogenous genera that have early splits are kept together and a few splits that are very young are also kept because of rapid radiation (i. e. Galápagos finches)...

I'd like to see a similar approach applied consistently across whole of Aves (e.g.):

• genus at least 5 million years old;
  • family c. 30 million years old;
  • order c. 65 million years old.

I'd like to see a similar approach applied consistently across whole of Aves (e.g.):

I'd think it would make more sense to use generations, as short-lived birds (e.g. most passerines) have many more generations per million years than long-lived ones (e.g. most tubenoses) so evolve new genera, etc., faster.

I think and hope that one day it will happen, using distance and clocks. An important qualification to the above however is that "nodes" supporting any of these need to be solid. There is a bit of a tendency in some of the above discussion to take a tree as gospel. However, if the node lacks strong support then other studies using different genes, different sampling or different tree construction methods are likely to come up with a different topology and arrangement. And then, in some groups, you will find there is no node that falls within your date ranges.

A bit more consistency would be great. There is some work ongoing at attacking subjectivity in species limits (see the Birdlife checklist discussion) but reactions to that must mean that doing the same for other taxonomic levels might be fraught with controversy.

Personally I think it's pointless to use divergence dates as hard guidelines for higher level taxonomy. Beyond the whole debates over the age of various clades, especially things like orders, it would be difficult to reconcile such a taxonomy with fossil birds, or degrees of morphological differentiation between groups or the fact that some groups because of generation times issues will have lower degrees of genetic distinction than others.

That depends on what "dissolve into nonsense" means. They did have a problem where the pages were all created using an encoding not supported by most browsers, resulting in strange renderings for non-ASCII characters. However as far as I can see that seems to have been fixed recently.

Yes, that's exactly the problem!
I've since checked the webpages on Google Chrome and they worked just fine. So if I need to read them - switch to chrome.
Not a major hardship! ;)

Etymology of "Diuca"? There's this:

http://www.hbw.com/dictionary/key-to-scientific-names-in-ornithology?name=diuca

Not much really, but not nothing either.

Excellent thanks! I had been looking for a Spanish meaning without much success. First stop should've been HBW or Cornell :)

Anyway Diuca diuca is The Diuca familiar to the Mapuche people who named it. "Diuca" speculifera of the high Andes of Bolivia and Peru on the other hand should be unknown to these people. Furthermore despite some plumage similarities it's only distantly related to D. diuca and differs in call and behaviour.
I would suggest this species could lose the Diuca-label completely.
It's nearest relative appears to be the Short-tailed / Andean Boulder-finch (Idiopsar brachyurus) so how about Andean Glacier-finch as an alternative perhaps more accurate name?

Thraupis

Molecular phylogeny of Thraupis Boie, 1826 (Aves: Passeriformes) and taxonomic revision of the Thraupis episcopus (Linnaeus, 1766) - t. sayaca (Linnaeus, 1766) complex.

Abstract:

Currently, the genus Thraupis Boie, 1826 contains seven species in the monophylectic group, all of which have high molecular and morphological support. Nevertheless, the phylogenetic relationship of only three of the species is known: T. abbas as the sister specie of T. ornata and T. palmarum clade. Moreover, in the remaining species group, one of the species, T. glaucocolpa, has not been included in any of the previous molecular studies, and another, T. cyanoptera, has an uncertain position in the genus phylogenetic tree. Therefore, the only recovered group is the T. episcopus - T. sayaca clade. This clade includes 17 subspecies (previous molecular studies had only used samples from three different birds), but a high morphological variation and a wide distribution which includes overlapping zones of T. episcopus and T. sayaca, makes taxa identification almost impossible. Furthermore, the group does not have taxonomic stability, as shown by the multiple changes which occur at different levels: moving from one genus to another or from specie to subspecie level etc. To check the genus I will make a phylogenetic analysis based on two mitochondrial genes (Cyt-b and ND2), in addition to three nuclear introns (intron 3 of MUSK gen, intron 5 of TGFB2 gen and a piece of the intron 5 of the BF5 gen). The extractions will be from tissues collected at different localities around the natural distribution of the species T. episcopus - T. sayaca¸ and from tissues deposited in different scientific collections. After obtaining phylogenetic trees, the evolutionary lineages will be compared morphologically. Measurements recorded will be total culmen, culmen from nares, tarsus, wing chord, tail length and weight. In addition, color patterns will be compared with the help of color guides. Expected results should clarify the phylogenetic and taxonomic relationships of the genus and propose a classification that agrees with the evolutionary history of these common, but curiously little-studied birds of South America. (AU)

Gubernatrix

Domínguez, Reboreda & Mahler. 2016. Effects of fragmentation and hybridization on geographical patterns of song variation in the endangered Yellow Cardinal Gubernatrix cristata. Ibis, accepted manuscript online: 19 MAY 2016 05:35AM EST | DOI: 10.1111/ibi.12388
[abstract]

Matos, M. V., Borges, S. H., d'Horta, F. M., Cornelius, C., Latrubesse, E., Cohn-Haft, M. and Ribas, C. C. (2016), Comparative Phylogeography of Two Bird Species, Tachyphonus phoenicius (Thraupidae) and Polytmus theresiae (Trochilidae), Specialized in Amazonian White-sand Vegetation. Biotropica, 48: 110–120. doi: 10.1111/btp.12292

[Abstract]
Temporarily [free access]

"Temporary free access" is a rather silly idea - once it's been offered free, it gets downloaded, and added to other sites where it remains free access. For example, it can be done as an attachment here. So why only temporary?? Trying to restrict it to sale only afterwards is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted . . . :eek!: :eek!:

Last edited:
"Temporary free access" is a rather silly idea - once it's been offered free, it gets downloaded, and added to other sites where it remains free access. For example, it can be done as an attachment here. So why only temporary?? Trying to restrict it to sale only afterwards is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted . . . :eek!: :eek!:
Well, of course, no, you 'cannot' leave it here as an attachment, for the very reason that you yourself put out at: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3409003&postcount=5
;)
(But anyway, I'm not behind the editorial decisions of Wiley.)

Last edited:
Pseudosaltator

Burns, Unitt & Mason 2016. A genus-level classification of the family Thraupidae (Class Aves: Order Passeriformes). Zootaxa 4088(3): 329–354. [abstract]

... Here, we present two alternative classifications based on a newly published comprehensive phylogeny of tanagers. One of these classifications uses existing generic names, but defines them broadly. The other, which we advocate and follow here, provides new generic names for more narrowly defined groups. Under the latter, we propose eleven new genera (Asemospiza, Islerothraupis, Maschalethraupis, Chrysocorypha, Kleinothraupis, Castanozoster, Ephippiospingus, Chionodacryon, Pseudosaltator, Poecilostreptus, Stilpnia), and resurrect several generic names to form monophyletic taxa. ...

Proposal (722) to SACC

Recognize Pseudosaltator as the genus for Saltator rufiventris (A) and change the English name of the species (B)

Avendano, Barker & Cadena, 2016. The Yellow-green Bush-tanager is neither a bush-tanager nor a sparrow:Molecular phylogenetics reveals that Chlorospingus flavovirens is a tanager (Aves: Passeriformes; Thraupidae. Zootaxa, Vol. 4136, No 2.

[abstract]

This is a joke ? o_O

Avendano, Barker & Cadena, 2016. The Yellow-green Bush-tanager is neither a bush-tanager nor a sparrow:Molecular phylogenetics reveals that Chlorospingus flavovirens is a tanager (Aves: Passeriformes; Thraupidae. Zootaxa, Vol. 4136, No 2.

[abstract]

This is a joke ? o_O

Avendaño, Barker & Cadena, 2016

Because no generic name is available for C. flavovirens, based on our results we see three alternatives: (1) creating a monotypic genus for C. flavovirens, (2) placing C. flavovirens and the closely allied B. arcaei in a genus separate from the other species of Bangsia, or (2) merging C. flavovirens and Bangsia in a single genus. We favor the third option for reasons outlined below.

In summary, to make classification consistent with our current understanding of phylogeny, we suggest that the taxon heretofore referred to as Chlorospingus flavovirens (Emberizidae) should be transferred to the Thraupidae and referred to as Bangsia flavovirens. To avoid confusion with members of the genus Chlorospingus, we further suggest that its English name should be changed to Yellow-green Tanager.

Buthraupis caeruleigularis (=Buthraupis arcaei caeruleigularis) is the type species of genus Bangsia.

I want to see the cladogram from this paper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back