• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus E1 4/3 System (1 Viewer)

grahams

I have recently indulged myself and bought the above camera. What a delight. It is easy to use and the picture quality is absolutely superb. At present I have only got the standard zoom lens but am shortley going to invest in a 50-200 Zoom and 1.4 Convertor.

I do believe that some of the Olympus knockers are missing out on a delightful camera. .

you are soooo right

Graham,
Ignoire the knockers...you have invested in a fantastic camera. when you get the 50-200 zoom and the 1.4x teleconverter you will be knocked off your feet.

I've had one of these cameras since december last year and can confirm that your happiness is very normal.

Although I now use Canon 10D plus various EOS lens, for many years in the '70s I had Olympus OM1 and OM2 plus Zuiko lenses, it was a delightful lightweight system, and had the E1 system been available before I purchased my present 10D I feel sure that I too would have made another Olympus purchase. I am sure that in the future the E1 4/3 will be extensively developed into a very comprehensive system.

grahams said:
I have recently indulged myself and bought the above camera. What a delight. It is easy to use and the picture quality is absolutely superb. At present I have only got the standard zoom lens but am shortley going to invest in a 50-200 Zoom and 1.4 Convertor.

I do believe that some of the Olympus knockers are missing out on a delightful camera. .
Grahams,

any impressions yet from the TC+zoom combo on the E-1? I am very curious also to hear if the AF system can manage to follow a flying bird?

Cheers, Jens.

jebir said:
Grahams,

any impressions yet from the TC+zoom combo on the E-1? I am very curious also to hear if the AF system can manage to follow a flying bird?

Cheers, Jens.[/QUOTE

I am still experimenting but have managed to achieve some good results on a visit to Bempton Cliffs in the UK which is an RSPB site. The secret appears to be to not use spot metering but centre weighted metering and a f stop of around f6.5. The continuous focusing appears to be fast enough for birds that are flying straight at you providing they are against a sky and not trees ar cliff face, otherwise the camera focuses on the trees etc. Hope this is of help.

It was an ingenious and a very brave idea by Olympus. They are trying to create a real revolution - and the concept is absolutely right. I wish them a big success. I saw some pictures out of this camera and they are great.
Enjoy it Grahams!

E System

Having been a Canon user since the days of the T90, I recently made the jump from 35mm SLR to a Digital SLR, I guess considering the amount of EOS lenses etc I had, it would have made more sense to have purchased a 300D or a 20D.

However having played with a E-1 for a weekend I have to confess I fell in love with the camera, Olympus really have done a great job with the whole of the E-System.

Having heard horror stories about sensor cleaning and the such like, I decided to purchase an Olympus E-300, drawn to such features as the Supersonic Wave Filter that ensures dust and other foreign particles do not interfere with the function of the CCD - Six months of near constant use and changing lenses not one spot of dust on the sensor !!!

Interesting now that Panasonic have jumped on board with the 4/3rds system, I guess we can all expect some new lenses and possibly a new body from Panasonic, that could be interesting, Leica glass, Panasonic IS, who knows what they have planned ?

Olympus really do have a gem of a system, six months down the line, I'm more than happy with my purchase. I haven't look back since, cracking picture quality, good levels of build, alround nice feel to the camera.

Love it !!

Regards

Mark

Last edited:
I'm also very happy with my E1

Since my last post in this thread and the positive answer I got, I made the investment in an E1.

I couldn't be happier with any other camera. I used my old OM-lenses for bird photography for about 1/2 a year until I could afford the 50-200 zoom. It is an incredibly sharp lens and it gives me very nice bird pictures under all kind of circumstances.

Right now, the E1 is very cheap (for what you get) and as soon as Olympus have introduced its high-end successor sometime soon, it will be gone from the market.

So I thought I could add some fuel to this thread in case someone is looking for a new DSLR purchase.

Cheers, Jens.

Yes ..... I agree many are missing out on this jewel of a camera. Specifications don't make photos ...... we do . I've recently ordered a 50-200 also ..... so I'll give you any feedback I can . I think the AF works well .... I've heard from those who have the battery grip that it helps the AF speed ,especially with the EC-14 ...... but the grip for the E-1 is one of those "huh's ? " . . when you see the price of it.

Good day, Garth

Olympus E System Lenses

Hi All,

I've since taken the plunge with a couple of lenses for my E-300, having tried a couple of cheaper Sigma lenses and a couple of cheaper Olympus lenses (non ED glass), I have to say that so far I've not been impressed with the image quality.

However you should see the difference the ED glass, on ALL of the Olympus pro lenses makes to the image quality. I too recently purchased the 50-200mm - If you can only afford one lens with ED glass, buy the 50-200mm you won't be disapointed - Stunning lens, works great with the x1.4.

Honestly I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the Olympus lenses that have the ED glass, it certainly does make the all difference.

Regards

Mark

Bought the E-500 just before Christmas (absolutely delighted with it) and it came with 40-150, I added an EC-14 Teleconverter and I'm impressed with the results, just a little lacking on magnification. In hindsight, I would not have opted for the 40-150, but upgraded to the 50-200, so now going to wait for a Sigma 300mm Telephoto to appear and see what sort of results that will bring in.

Nope you are all wrong - the E-1 is pure garbage!

:stuck:

Just kidding of course - but getting you ready for the other brand responses :)

I remember the price not long ago where one had to outlay over two thousand buck (US) for the pleasure of shooting the E-1. Even at that price it was the best value for a body that was built to the bulet proof standards that pro's demand (and most of us can use more that we think!)

Now at todays prices they are an insane deal. The weatherproofing may never be needed but if one day you do require it, it is a godsend.
I had a 10D and a E-1 sitting in a trunk that got flooded. The E-1 got wiped off and kept on ticking despite being at the bottom for around four hours.

The 10D .... don't ask. Since it's important to make lemonade when life gives you lemons I'm trying to be possitive and think of it as a great experience - for taking a dead 10D appart 3:) ( darn piece of junk )

I had the 14-54 and then the 40-150. I do have to say though that I always regreted the buying of the 40-150 and if I had to do it all over again I would hold out for the 50-200 for sure. Nothing wrong with the 40-150 as far as optics but the extra reach, far more useful max aperture and superior built makes it worth the premium imho. If you plan to use a polarizer - even better to go straight for the 50-200 as the front does not rotate on it.

I can't wait to see what the four thirds standard will bring next- but I expect it should be gooood!

digiscoping results yet?

I am an OM owner currently digiscoping with a sony w5 and a Zeiss 85, but I think I want better results as far as field flattening and definition of finer details like feather structure. Given that I am an OM owner it seems logical to buy an E-1 (as opposed to another manufacturers product) and the T2 photo adapter for my Zeiss 85, and when I gather the funds I can buy the 4/3 lenses. Until then I will probably use my OM lenses with the camera.

I was at first torn between the e-330 with its live view LCD (a plus for the digiscoper within) and the E-1, but the large bright viewfinder ultimately brought the E-1 ahead as I understand the E-330 is very difficult to use in low light. I actually have not looked through either yet, but I am still early in my research. The price also pulls the E-1 ahead...

My question is, how satisfied are folks with the photos from an E-1 and a T2 mount to a scope? Are the photos pleasing right out of the camera? are they sharp from edge-to-edge? Is vignetting an issue with a photo adapter?

thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts,
Jon

Just to add to add to the above thoughts on the E-1. I really fancied one of these when I first got a DSLR over two years ago, but they were too expensive. Now they can be picked up with short zoom for under £400 including 2 years warranty I could'nt resist trying one. Weatherproof body is great for British winters of course. This camera is the best i've ever handled. Build quality is superb with all the controls easily adjustable. Not as good with regard to high ISO settings as the Canon I'm also using but up to 400ISO the results are very good. The best lenses are rather expensive but Sigma are producing 4/3 lenses now - including the 50-500 which will equate to 100-1000mm with the 2x factor. For anyone on a budget who wants a really rugged take anywhere camera it's a bit of a bargain!

Hmmm, not a very positive first post on this thread - I'm selling up. Finally too cheesed off with the poor high ISO performance of my E1 and the at times indifferent autofocus. I love the camera and lenses otherwise and hope someone else will too. See the classifieds if you're interested.

Tim

Finally bought the Sigma 50-500 to mount onto my E500, started having some fun with it. Like most big lenses, it is far less convenient to use than the smaller brothers, but the results are very good.

Well I'm still happy with my E1 - sold my 30D to buy a 50-200 for it and don't regret it a bit. But then the birds I mainly photograph are pretty big and don't move that quickly. Added an E-300 for more resolution when required. Having finally got round to getting some prints from this`years pictures the`E-1 images have a really natural look. Just waiting to see what Olympus finally get round to bringing out as an E-1 upgrade.

I think you make a good point about the camera being 'fit for purpose'. I have slightly changed needs and I also feel I can't wait for what may be an extremely expensive upgrade to the E1. The thing that worries me most is that I may not get the colour rendition with Canon lenses that I've found so good with Olympus.

Tim Taylor said:
I think you make a good point about the camera being 'fit for purpose'. I have slightly changed needs and I also feel I can't wait for what may be an extremely expensive upgrade to the E1. The thing that worries me most is that I may not get the colour rendition with Canon lenses that I've found so good with Olympus.

That was one of the main reasons I kept the Oly and sold the Canon. The 30D is probably the best camera i've used in terms of features and speed. I used one with both a 70-200 f4 L and a sigma 135-400. The E-1 was bought as a sort of general purpose camera because at the low price it now is, it was a real bargain. Using the two cameras side by side showed the strengths and weaknesses. I came back from a trip to a nature reserve with a load of pictures from both cameras. Shooting JPEG on both I just preferred the E-1 shots. Using RAW on the 30D would probably have made a big difference - I think that's the key - the E-1 does great JPEGs - the 30D needs more work to take advantage of it's quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back