• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green (1 Viewer)

dries1

I went green, could not turn down the price for this 8X42, still comparing it to my other 8X42s, I seem to prefer the 42 format to the 32s these days. Initial impression is that the HD Ultravid has a bit better brightness, the view in these is a bit behind shall we say, but do provide great contrast. I have no idea if they contain the same prisms as the UVHD. Nevertheless, it is a nice light glass about 80-90 grams less than the UV and the EDG, slightly more than the MHG.
These were produced in 2016, did not come with the objective covers, just the case. I have ordered a set of green covers from Leica since the new 2017 models came with the covers. I am also going to put a more functional strap on these, the leather ones can be used on my older Kerns.

A.W.

Last edited:
I went green, could not turn down the price for this 8X42, still comparing it to my other 8X42s, I seem to prefer the 42 format to the 32s these days. Initial impression is that the HD Ultravid has a bit better brightness, the view in these is a bit behind shall we say, but do provide great contrast. I have no idea if they contain the same prisms as the UVHD. Nevertheless, it is a nice light glass about 80-90 grams less than the UV and the EDG, slightly more than the MHG.
These were produced in 2016, did not come with the objective covers, just the case. I have ordered a set of green covers from Leica since the new 2017 models came with the covers. I am also going to put a more functional strap on these, the leather ones can be used on my older Kerns.

A.W.

Hi Dries,

Congrets. I'm told (and sold) that these are the + models so with HT Prism glass, still sold down here for 2.545,00 euro.

I find them much more nice looking than the silver and/or black leather model which are 400,00 euro cheaper btw (but without HT prism glass).

Jan

Hi Dries,

Congrets. I'm told (and sold) that these are the + models so with HT Prism glass, still sold down here for 2.545,00 euro.

I find them much more nice looking than the silver and/or black leather model which are 400,00 euro cheaper btw (but without HT prism glass).

Jan

Jan,

The model I have is the first year (2016) they came out. It is new open-box. I am sure that these do not have HT glass like the 2017 versions which have it. These are the same as the Silverline. The BL versions have HD glass, I don't think either these (2016 version) or the Silverline have HD glass. The 2017 HD+ versions are through the roof in price.

A.W.

Jan,

The model I have is the first year (2016) they came out. It is new open-box. I am sure that these do not have HT glass like the 2017 versions which have it. These are the same as the Silverline. The BL versions have HD glass, I don't think either these (2016 version) or the Silverline have HD glass. The 2017 HD+ versions are through the roof in price.

A.W.

Mine have the HD in red engraved. Yours?

Jan

Jan,

A.W.

I think the original BLs were made without HD glass because they go back to when the Ultravids were being sold. Information in the Company 7 website seems to indicate that. The BLs had a hard, form fitting, case then. You can also download a PDF from that period which includes the BLs.

http://www.company7.com/leica/binoculars.html

http://www.company7.com/leica/lei42blhd.html

The BLs with HD glass in them would have to be from the time the HDs were made.

Bob

Last edited:
This one is the Ultravid HD, I suppose this is just like yours.

I like the green pebbled armor, it should serve you well.

Jerry

Attachments

• 9757_leica-ultravid-safari-8x42-hd-plus-frontansicht.jpg
    9757_leica-ultravid-safari-8x42-hd-plus-frontansicht.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Bob:

Leica has only had so many models and versions.

Not sure why we are all needing to care much about this.

I am guilty. :smoke:

Jerry

Jerry,

I find the straight edged eye cups of my 8x42 Blackline (the only Ultravid I own) easier for me to use than the rounded off eye cups on my Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN. I can brace them better up against my brow ridge when I use it.

There are many little things about binoculars that can affect different users in different ways in their efforts to see things better.

Bob

Last edited:
This one is the Ultravid HD, I suppose this is just like yours.

I like the green pebbled armor, it should serve you well.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Yours are the same as mine. These have the HT prism glass type.
I was not aware of the excistence of a Safari serie with the standard HD version.
Now I have to look for those to get the collection complete:-C:-C

Life sucks;)

Jan

The Ultravid Safari line has a 2016 edition, marked by the issued number from a series of 200 and the year 2016 (like this: 143/200 - 2016) and the configuration (like: Ultravid 10x42). There is no mention of HD on the binocular and so it's safe to assume that this Safari edition is optically no different from the original Ultravid BL. It's just a BL in green.

The Ultravid Safari line has an 2017 edition as well, marked with a red HD following the configuration (like in the picture of post # 11). This is the HD-Plus version.

Ergo, Leica never issued an Ultravid Safari HD (until they tell us otherwise of course).

Renze

Renze,

You are spot on there, I must say it is a light glass, and not as bright as the HD Ultravid, I have been comparing thre two. Looks like both Safari versions (2016 and 2017), do not come with objective covers.

A.W.

Congratulations! ;)

Now speaking of green, I have a pair of Leica Duvid 8-12X42 GREEN model. This is very rare and no longer made. List price is $2499 and I bought them from the (late) Eagle Optics around 2008 at same price. I have used them in the field maybe 3 or 4 times and they are in virtually new condition. I would give them to an avid birdforum member for $1800.

Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

-Omid

Attachments

• Omid_Index.jpg
    Omid_Index.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back