• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Objective Covers (1 Viewer)

dries1

I had communicated to Leica about the Safari line and BL line not coming with objective covers and apparently the new HD+ does not also. So while deciding on what options to use to protect them in the field, I happened to find a pair of 32mm objective covers (bushwakers?) that came with another 32mm glass as extras, so I tried them and they work perfectly. Though these are 42mm objectives, there is no additional diameter displacement with rubber armor. They still fit into the case also, plenty of room.

A.W.

Last edited:
I had communicated to Leica about the Safari line and BL line not coming with objective covers and apparently the new HD+ does not also. So while deciding on what options to use to protect them in the field, I happened to find a pair of 32mm objective covers (bushwakers?) that came with another 32mm glass as extras, so I tried them and they work perfectly. Though these are 42mm objectives, there is no additional diameter displacement with rubber armor. They still fit into the case also, plenty of room.

A.W.
I had the Bushwacker's do some weird things to the end of my binoculars like pull objective rings off a Nikon SE and discolor the binoculars because they fit on so far and sometimes tight and they presumably sweated underneath. Just keep an eye on them. I am sure not everbody had that problem but I did.

Last edited:
Dennis I only keep them on when out and about in the bush, I have inspected the rubber on the inner side of them - it is of porous matrix compared to what Zeiss offers, so I agree with you. Additionally the Leica's objective tube is metal with a paint coating, so prolonged use in the heat could cause a rapid discoloration. I generally just keep them in the case without the covers. These,the BLs and the new safari HD+ come without objective covers also, I will be looking for a more suitable fix down the road. The objective covers for the green Rubber safaris which are not made anymore, are too big.

A.W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back