• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the effect of recent weather events on breeding bird populations (1 Viewer)

Paul Longland

Just read a report about the effects of the beast from the east and Saharan storms on the breeding populations of uk birds.

Unsurprisingly it is the smaller species such as Goldcrest, wren and long tailed tit that have suffered the most with up to 38% fall in numbers of breeding pairs.

Similarly the northerly winds that were prevalent over the Sahara during peak migration time last year led a decline in species such as willow warbler and Martins/swifts with many either arriving later than usual or not at all.

This certainly backs my own theories at the time. It was noticeable that nightingale numbers were particularly low last year (4 singing males at Paxton pits compared to over 30 the previous year). Whilst declining as a breeding species for many years I suspect that many got pinned down by the northerly winds and ended up simply setting up shop in Europe as they are an early breeder. It will be interesting to see if numbers recover this year.

In terms of the resident species I and many others also reported a lack of Cettis warblers, particularly on the edges of their range. So much so that I didn't see a single one last year.

It all goes to show just how fragile the balance of nature can be (although of course it also has a remarkable ability to bounce back).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back