• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taking my partner birding, looking for species hot spots (1 Viewer)

fluffhead

Greetings everyone!

I wouldn't even call myself an amateur birder but my partner is pretty serious. She is up to 900 birds on her bird list and we are taking a trip to the USA (we live in Spain) and I would love to help her get over 1000!

We will be in North Carolina in October and November, mainly around Raleigh and perhaps up around Ashville. I am wondering if there are any migrations or hot spots for birding in either of these areas (driving is not an obstacle!)

I appreciate any tips, I would love to surprise her with a birding trip!

Fluffhead -
Your timing is pretty good for catching a great number of species. Earlier in your stay will be better for higher elevations, like Asheville, since our migration season for passerines slows down dramatically by late October and even earlier in the highest elevations, like the Blue Ridge Parkway.
In eastern North Carolina, you will have the added habitats of larger lakes and the coast. Large numbers of duck species start appearing in November so that would work well with beginning your stay in the higher elevations.
If you are not able to get to the Asheville area, the Raleigh, or Triangle area as locals would call it, is a pretty good region for passerines as well. I can give you contact information for birders from which you will get up to date details.
If getting to Asheville looks like a reality, PM me and we can make plans go together to some of the better places to find the birds on your list. Or you can find me on Birdingpal.org.

Steve

In November you would be able to see an incredible variety of migratory waterfowl on the coast. I'd recommend that you check out Lake Mattamuskeet and the Pea Island Refuge. Those could make a great weekend birding trip.

--dave

Wow, thanks everyone for the tips. Just worked out having a vehicle while we're there so we can be mobile. Expect a PM as the dates get closer if I can't find the info on the web!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back