• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird behavior (1 Viewer)

kansas

Yesterday I saw a very unusual bird behavior. A few days ago I had put out some mothballs in my garden in hopes of discouraging rabbits. A blackbird landed on the fence with one of the mothballs in its beak. The bird then rubbed the mothballs under both wings & over some of its body. I was amazed to see this!
Caged birds have a similar compound of the mothball that is used to prevent mites on the birds so my conclusion is that "somehow" this wild bird knew to use it also????

I have seen some other blackbirds carry off some of the mothballs but I thought they were just curious as to what it may be, etc. Also on these types of birds bit off one of my daisy flowers & took off. Since a lot of daisies carry pyrethrins - was the bird also using this flower to that compound???

Very strange.

kansas,

I think you hit the nail on the head with the mothballs, as well as the daisies. Although the mechanism is not known, many birds are thought to use "found" items relieve parasitic infestations. There is much evidence of birds lining their nests (often renewing the lining) with plants that are noxious to insects.

Good eye!

Steve-O

Hi Kansas,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Yep, I agree with Steve-O. Birds have been known to use a wide variety of insecticidal substances (including mothballs) to control parasites. It is risking itself rather though, as mothballs are very toxic.

What is perhaps most odd is how the bird knew that a mothball would work. It is generally reckoned that most passerine birds don't have much of a sense of smell, and even if it could smell naphthalene, how would it know it had insecticidal properties?

Michael

The nicotine in tobacco stalks is another perfectly natural product known for its insecticidal qualities. During the breeding season, many pigeon fanciers provide them for the pigeons to line their nests with.

And am I also right in thinking that some birds, such as starlings, deliberately place ants in their feathers for the formic acid they produce which helps to rid them of mites?

Anthony Morton said:
And am I also right in thinking that some birds, such as starlings, deliberately place ants in their feathers for the formic acid they produce which helps to rid them of mites?
Yep, at least for Jays. I don't know if Starlings also do so, but I'd not be surprised if they did. But Jays are the standard textbook example of birds that use anting to remove parasites

Michael

Perhaps the birds taste the stuff first. They decide "not food" so let's try for insecticide. It may even taste bad.

kansas said:
Yesterday I saw a very unusual bird behavior. A few days ago I had put out some mothballs in my garden in hopes of discouraging rabbits. A blackbird landed on the fence with one of the mothballs in its beak. The bird then rubbed the mothballs under both wings & over some of its body. I was amazed to see this!
Caged birds have a similar compound of the mothball that is used to prevent mites on the birds so my conclusion is that "somehow" this wild bird knew to use it also????

I have seen some other blackbirds carry off some of the mothballs but I thought they were just curious as to what it may be, etc. Also on these types of birds bit off one of my daisy flowers & took off. Since a lot of daisies carry pyrethrins - was the bird also using this flower to that compound???

Very strange.

Thanks for all the replies. Well, I may not have kept the rabbits away but hope it helps that birdies (with no harm to them).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back