• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (28 Viewers)

Bright and sunny with a slight westerley.

Flashes
Avocet - no count, Lapwing 14 + nos of chicks, LRP 4 Oystercatcher 2, Common Sandpiper 2
Gadwall 1m, 2f, Shelduck 2, Shoveler 4m, 1f, Tufted Duck 12, Raven 2 at nest, Kestrel 1m, Lesser Whitethroat 1

Hen Pool
Cetti's Warbler 1, Reed Warbler 1, Sedge Warbler 2

Sailing Pool
Great Crested Grebe 1, Little Grebe pair, Mute Swan 2, Tufted Duck 8, Cetti's Warbler 1, Lesser Whitethroat 1

North Moors
No sign of male Teal, Tufted Duck pair, Willow Warbler 1 singing, Sedge Warbler 1 singing, Reed Warbler 2 singing, Little Grebe 1pr, Coot at nest

Moors
Great Crested Grebe 2 displaying, Mute Swan 2, Shelduck 4, Shoveler 3m, 1f, Tufted Duck 62 again, Little Grebe 2/3, Gadwall 2m, 1f.
Common Sand 2, Oystercatcher 2 sitting, 4 birds present, Lapwing 2
Cettis Warbler 2 singing, Sedge Warbler 1, Reed Warbler 3, Lesser Whitethroat 1,

Welcome Back Des, over to you!

todays trespasser

saw this character today he was between the east hide and the sand martin box obviously had climbed over the gate which did have the no access sign on it and was securely locked, he seemed to be taking some pics from the bank and did put a few gulls up. can't put full picture on here as too big.

Attachments

• DSC02827.JPG
    DSC02827.JPG
    773.1 KB · Views: 191
Bright and sunny with a slight westerley.

Flashes
Avocet - no count, Lapwing 14 + nos of chicks, LRP 4 Oystercatcher 2, Common Sandpiper 2
Gadwall 1m, 2f, Shelduck 2, Shoveler 4m, 1f, Tufted Duck 12, Raven 2 at nest, Kestrel 1m, Lesser Whitethroat 1

Hen Pool
Cetti's Warbler 1, Reed Warbler 1, Sedge Warbler 2

Sailing Pool
Great Crested Grebe 1, Little Grebe pair, Mute Swan 2, Tufted Duck 8, Cetti's Warbler 1, Lesser Whitethroat 1

North Moors
No sign of male Teal, Tufted Duck pair, Willow Warbler 1 singing, Sedge Warbler 1 singing, Reed Warbler 2 singing, Little Grebe 1pr, Coot at nest

Moors
Great Crested Grebe 2 displaying, Mute Swan 2, Shelduck 4, Shoveler 3m, 1f, Tufted Duck 62 again, Little Grebe 2/3, Gadwall 2m, 1f.
Common Sand 2, Oystercatcher 2 sitting, 4 birds present, Lapwing 2
Cettis Warbler 2 singing, Sedge Warbler 1, Reed Warbler 3, Lesser Whitethroat 1,

Welcome Back Des, over to you!

Cheers John. Good luck in China.

Some additional sightings from my shortened day.

ED RES:
Willow Warbler heard.

NORTH MOORS:
Little Egret

FLASHES:
LRP (6)
Shoveler (pr) + 4m
Avocet (3) sitting
Lapwing chicks 3:3:3:1

MOORS;
Herring Gull (2s)

Des.

Late afternoon visit heading to the flashes resulted in a drop in on the sailing pool of the kingfisher. This was then followed by a brood of ducklings huddled together facing the afternoon sun, closely monitored by mum (couldn't resist a pic of this although its through the grass at a fair distance).
A little further on and a kestrel passed over and hovered a while, just enough time to bang off a few pics, i've included the ring detail if it's of any help to anyone.
Didn't even get to the hide, ran out of time! Another day heh.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/piedflycatcher/

Attachments

• 6P2A9080.jpg
    6P2A9080.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 6P2A9087.jpg
    6P2A9087.jpg
    824.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 6P2A9316.jpg
    6P2A9316.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 125
  • 6P2A9311.jpg
    6P2A9311.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 6P2A9299.jpg
    6P2A9299.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 129
saw this character today he was between the east hide and the sand martin box obviously had climbed over the gate which did have the no access sign on it and was securely locked, he seemed to be taking some pics from the bank and did put a few gulls up. can't put full picture on here as too big.

There always has to be a complete knob somewhere doesn't there? Hopefully someone will recognise him and have a word. Maybe even teach him to read 😒

Late afternoon visit heading to the flashes resulted in a drop in on the sailing pool of the kingfisher. This was then followed by a brood of ducklings huddled together facing the afternoon sun, closely monitored by mum (couldn't resist a pic of this although its through the grass at a fair distance).
A little further on and a kestrel passed over and hovered a while, just enough time to bang off a few pics, i've included the ring detail if it's of any help to anyone.
Didn't even get to the hide, ran out of time! Another day heh.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/piedflycatcher/

Some stunning images of the Kestrel there Lee - is there any chance I could use one for this year's annual report? If so I will PM you my email address.

Unfortunately whilst "762" is clearly visible I suspect there probably a further two or three digits to this code.

Dave J reports from the Flashes this morning:

28 Avocet, 2 Yellow Wagtails (both ➡ SW at 06.31 and 08.22), Ringed Plover (first of the year), 5 LRP, Little Egret, Lesser Whitethroat

2014/2015 Two year Report

Sales are going well with half now sold or reserved. If you want a copy then Text or Private message me...We will be on site on Saturday all day literally ...for the All-Dayer. Hopefully Mike can get some lists for us to use on the day

Re Sailing pool car park...I will be opening up at about 4am..I will unlock but close the gate. Could any early risers please close the gate behind them
:t: John

Flashes (1) yesterday

1/2 Lots of activity in the Ravens' nest.
3/4 The blackest Pied Wagtail I've ever seen.
5. Contented Corner.

Attachments

• IMG_3707a.jpg
    IMG_3707a.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3728a.jpg
    IMG_3728a.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3764a.jpg
    IMG_3764a.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3772a.jpg
    IMG_3772a.jpg
    964.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3846a.jpg
    IMG_3846a.jpg
    882.7 KB · Views: 99
Flashes (2) yesterday

1/2 Lapwing plus 2 chicks right of hide - very difficult to find.
3. Lurking undercover.
4/5 Male & female Linnets enjoying the saltmarsh plants.

Attachments

• IMG_3866a.jpg
    IMG_3866a.jpg
    822.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3856a.jpg
    IMG_3856a.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3932a.jpg
    IMG_3932a.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3951a.jpg
    IMG_3951a.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3968a.jpg
    IMG_3968a.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 85
Moors yesterday

Not a lot of action, but the Long-tailed Tits were regularly in and out of their nests with tiny bugs, and a Great Spotted Woodpecker could be heard investigating the hedgerow trees before eventually coming out into the open.

Attachments

• IMG_3994a.jpg
    IMG_3994a.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4053a.jpg
    IMG_4053a.jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 75
Sales are going well with half now sold or reserved. If you want a copy then Text or Private message me...We will be on site on Saturday all day literally ...for the All-Dayer. Hopefully Mike can get some lists for us to use on the day

Re Sailing pool car park...I will be opening up at about 4am..I will unlock but close the gate. Could any early risers please close the gate behind them
:t: John

Is Mike also bringing his selection for unsold previous years reports?

Dave J reports 7 Common Terns at the Moors Pool this afternoon.

Big push of Black Terns into the east of the country today with smaller associated movements of Arctic Tern and Little Gull. Also an influx of Wood Sandpiper which should their way further west.

Dave J reports 7 Common Terns at the Moors Pool this afternoon.

Big push of Black Terns into the east of the country today with smaller associated movements of Arctic Tern and Little Gull. Also an influx of Wood Sandpiper which should their way further west.

There were 7 Common Terns yesterday Phil which escaped the reports.

Des.

What a lovely day!
Managed to grab a couple of hours at the reserve and catch up with a few friendly faces and get a few snaps.

1. Very distant Ringed Plover
2. LRP's getting it on.
3. Common Tern. One of two on the sailing pool.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_6113.jpg
    IMG_6113.jpg
    932.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6106.jpg
    IMG_6106.jpg
    802.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6117.jpg
    IMG_6117.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 78
At Flashes - Ringed Plover still present, Lapwing broods of 4:3:3:1.
At Sailing Pool - L.Whitethroat (2), Sedge Warbler, Common Tern (2)
Otherwise as you were...

Weather update for the All-Dayer tomorrow.

Warm (up to 20C) with continuing easterlies winds and varying amounts of sunshine and cloud cover. Intriguingly, just as we are about to flag in the afternoon there is the prediction of showers between 3 and 5pm. Could be very tasty - just like the bacon sarnies- lets see what is on the move today.

Some stunning images of the Kestrel there Lee - is there any chance I could use one for this year's annual report? If so I will PM you my email address.

Unfortunately whilst "762" is clearly visible I suspect there probably a further two or three digits to this code.

No problem with the picture, Phil. Tell me which one and what size you need and I'll sort it out.
With reference to the ringed number, I'm curious as to know how the ringed numbers are actually used in the future without the bird actually being caught, how on earth would you capture such a bird? As you point out seeing the full id from a onlookers perspective is pretty difficult.
All the best
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back