• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick and easy ways to identify Victory FL (1 Viewer)

Alan Gage

I bought a set of Victory 10x42 FLs off Craigslist in a city I don't live in. I have a friend who does however and she'll be picking them up for me.

Everything seems to be on the up and up and the seller says that they're the FL model but I figured I'd give her a couple things to look at when she picks them up to make sure they're what I'm looking for.

Am I correct that the body material changed from that grippy rubber on the original Victories to slicker plastic in the FL models? Are there any other identifying marks she should be looking for? Are they specifically marked as "Victory FL" on the binoculars themselves?

Thanks much,

Alan

Am I correct that the body material changed from that grippy rubber on the original Victories to slicker plastic in the FL models? Are there any other identifying marks she should be looking for? Are they specifically marked as "Victory FL" on the binoculars themselves?

Sort of right about the rubber--it doesn't cover as much of the bino on the FL. The FL are marked as such on a label on the underside of the hinge. Also, they are marked 10x42 not 10x40 as for the older Victory, the Conquest, and the Classic.

--AP

I bought a set of Victory 10x42 FLs off Craigslist in a city I don't live in.
Thanks much,
Alan

Hello!
The first generation Victories looked markedly differently. They cannot be mistaken for the FL line. The latter are labeled explictly (see pictures).
Hope this helps.
Tom

Attachments

• FL .jpg
    FL .jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 125
  • FL (3).jpeg
    FL (3).jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 136
  • FL 2 .jpg
    FL 2 .jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Vic .jpg
    Vic .jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Vic 2 .jpg
    Vic 2 .jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 119
I bought a set of Victory 10x42 FLs off Craigslist in a city I don't live in. Are they specifically marked as "Victory FL" on the binoculars themselves?

I might add that there are two editions of the Victory FLs: The second and, I believe, current edition has slightly faired eyecup edges, a stickier laminate on the surface of the body, and the words "Victory FL" in raised lettering parallel to the hinge on the upper surface.

Norman P

Thanks for the information. I passed it along to my friend who picked up the binoculars and I met her today to pick them up from her. Everything looks just like it should and the binoculars are fantastic.

Alan

I might add that there are two editions of the Victory FLs: The second and, I believe, current edition has slightly faired eyecup edges, a stickier laminate on the surface of the body, and the words "Victory FL" in raised lettering parallel to the hinge on the upper surface.

Norman P

Are you sure about this? I can't find anything on the Zeiss website. But then, they are sometimes slow with their updates. I notice the RF has that raised lettering you mention. But it has the straight FL eyecups. The Victory I and II had faired eyecups.

Are you sure about this?

In fact, the several changes mentioned may not have been introduced at one point in time but incrementally -- so "editions" may be an inappropriate term here. I do not know. At some point in production a hydrophobic lens coating was applied to the Zeiss FL line, but one would need the original packaging, or do a serial number lookup, to confirm if a pair of used FLs has this feature.

Norm P

In fact, the several changes mentioned may not have been introduced at one point in time but incrementally -- so "editions" may be an inappropriate term here. I do not know. At some point in production a hydrophobic lens coating was applied to the Zeiss FL line, but one would need the original packaging, or do a serial number lookup, to confirm if a pair of used FLs has this feature.

Norm P

You do not need the serial number of packing. If you look at the size of the binocular (shown on the underside of the binocular) you will see above the designated size of the objective, ie 32 or 42) a bow line (this indicates Lotu Tec coating). The eyecups have changed, but you can insert the new eyecups into the originals. The word Victory FL on the armour was added later.

Hope this helps.

mak

...The eyecups have changed, but you can insert the new eyecups into the originals. ...
mak

Do they provide both versions with any binocular? The faired eyecups may be better if one can use the binoculars without glasses. However, I need to keep my glasses on (due to astigmatism), thus the original version is mandatory. The first Victories had a system with eyecups retracting suffiently so that the faired shape did not bother with glasses on. But I don't see that this would be possible for the FLs. But if - as I assume - it does not work, then why even have retractable eyecups? I am waiting for appropriate illustrations.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back