• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a new species of the Red Crossbill (1 Viewer)

Marek12

South Hills Crossbill Loxia sinesciuris Benkman, 2009 (in: Benkman, Smith, Keenan, Parchman & Santisteban)

Benkman, C. W., J. W. Smith, P. C. Keenan, T. L. Parchman & L. Santisteban. 2009. A new species of Red Crossbill (Fringillidae: Loxia) from Idaho. The Condor, Vol. 111, No. 1: 169*-176.

This was expected with these two AOU meeting abstracts:

CRAIG W. BENKMAN, Dept. Zool. & Physiol., Univ. Wyoming, Laramie, WY, THOMAS L. PARCHMAN, JULIE W. SMITH, Dept. Biol., New Mexico State Univ., Las Cruces, NM, LISA K. SNOWBERG, Dept. Zool. & Physiol., Univ. Wyoming.

Ecological speciation in the Great Basin: divergence and reproductive isolation in the South Hill Crossbill.

Divergent natural selection for resource specialization has been implicated as underlying the evolution and maintenance of Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra complex) diversity despite wide-ranging nomadism and widespread sympatry of the different taxa. Here we will discuss evidence that the South Hills Crossbill, which is endemic to two small mountain ranges in the Great Basin, is speciating from other related and sympatric Red Crossbill call types. The South Hills Crossbill experiences divergent selection relative to other crossbills because it is in a coevolutionary arms race with lodgepole pine. This divergent selection leads to differences in ecology between call types, which in turn leads to temporal reproductive isolation, and directly and indirectly leads to assortative mating. Although we lack such detailed evidence of reproductive isolation between the other call types, the observed genetic differentiation (AFLP markers) between the different call types suggests restricted gene flow between them consistent with the early stages of ecological speciation.

One Hundred and Twenty-Third Stated Meeting of the American Ornithologists' Union
23 - 27 August 2005 at The University of California Santa Barbara, CA

LEONARD SANTISTEBAN, Dept. Biol., New Mexico State Univ., Las Cruces, NM, CRAIG W. BENKMAN and PATRICK C. KEENAN, Dept. Zool. & Physiol., Univ. Wyoming, Laramie, WY.

Life history strategies of a resident crossbill (Loxia curvirostra complex).

Life history theory is central to understanding biological processes such as selection, adaptation, evolution, and more specifically ecological speciation. During ecological speciation the processes of local adaptation and reproductive isolation are linked to adaptive changes in the life history of the organism undergoing speciation. The objective of this study is to describe the life history of a resident crossbill population, the South Hills crossbill (Loxia curvirostra complex). We also explored the hypothesis that exceedingly stable pine cone production in the South Hills drives the evolution of a life history that differs from nomadic crossbills. Consistent with a stable food resource, the density of crossbills (ca. 188 birds/km ) has remained relatively stable over the last several years, and, based on mark-recapture efforts from 1998 - 2006, there is little evidence to suggest significant annual variation in adult survival rates. Clutch size (3 eggs) does not differ between this resident population and nomadic crossbills. Results suggest that the South Hills crossbill exhibits a life history that has evolved in a stable environment with predictable food resources.

One Hundred and Twenty-Fifth Stated Meeting of the American Ornithologists' Union
9 - 11 August 2007 at The University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY

It's certainly a very forthright and assertive paper - no messing about!

I wonder what these guys are working on next...??? ;)

Richard

I guess this could have major implications for speciating the different call types of Crossbill in Europe. Are there any morphological differences between Red Crossbill and South Hills Crossbill

Benkman is faculty here (University of Wyoming), and as far as I know his main research interests are ecological interactions between plants and nut/seed eating birds. I imagine that he will be mostly sticking with crossbills in the future

hhhmm...with no phylogeny or detailed study on hybridization and reproductive isolation, I see a AOU proposal recognizing this as a distinct taxon going over like a lead balloon

hhhmm...with no phylogeny or detailed study on hybridization and reproductive isolation, I see a AOU proposal recognizing this as a distinct taxon going over like a lead balloon

See:

J.W. Smith and C.W. Benkman. 2007. A coevolutionary arms race causes ecological speciation in crossbills. Am Nat 169:455-465.

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/511961

"Total reproductive isolation between South Hills crossbills and the two other crossbills most common in the South Hills (call types 2 and 5) summed to .9975 and .9998, respectively, on a scale of 0 (no reproductive isolation) to 1 (complete reproductive isolation)."

and

T.L. Parchman, C.W. Benkman, and S.C. Britch. 2006. Patterns of genetic variation in the adaptive radiation of New World crossbills (Aves: Loxia). Molecular Ecology 15(7):1873-1887.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/mecol/2006/00000015/00000007/art00013

"Analyses of genetic differentiation based on inferred allele frequency variation however, reveal subtle but significant levels of genetic differentiation among the different call types of the complex and indicate that between call-type differentiation is greater than that found among different geographic locations within call types."

I take it sinesciurus means "without squirrels" - referring to the absence of squirrels within its range, which drove the evolutionary arms race between the pines and the crossbills. A brilliant name in my opinion.

I take it sinesciurus means "without squirrels" - referring to the absence of squirrels within its range, which drove the evolutionary arms race between the pines and the crossbills. A brilliant name in my opinion.

I didn't catch that--glad you pointed it out. And agreed, a fine name.

Some good discussion there;

Seems like the last year or more has been quite productive for splitters of North American birds. Pacific Wren, Lillian's Meadowlark, Woodhouse's Scrub Jay, and now the South Hills Crossbill.

Some good discussion there;

Seems like the last year or more has been quite productive for splitters of North American birds. Pacific Wren, Lillian's Meadowlark, Woodhouse's Scrub Jay, and now the South Hills Crossbill.
*Completely unrelated*

Now we need a user named Odonticete ;)

Another split proposal?

Very perceptive, Morgan. ;)

AOU-NACC Proposal 2009-A-10 failed.
http://www.aou.org/committees/nacc/proposals/2009-A.pdf
http://www.aou.org/committees/nacc/proposals/2009_A_votes_web.php#2009-A-10

But interesting to read in the comments that "a paper has been submitted to Western Birds advocating a split of a northwestern population of Red Crossbill". Or will that just be sinesciuris (Idaho) again...?

Richard

I took that to mean a different, more widespread crossbill species group than the Idaho form

I don't think any crossbill split will happen until they can all be safely split, and I don't see the data that AOU would be satisfied with coming out anywhere in the next decade.

Maybe we will see a White-winged/Two-barred Crossbill split before then however

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back