• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where can i find a Steller's Jay? (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
I live in NY.

I think there are some birds that are really pretty and one of them is the Steller's Jay. There's no map for the Steller's Jay in the Sibley Eastern book. Where would i have to go in order to get a picture of a steller's jay?

Pardon me, but you said, "get a picture," which was linked to the fact that the bird apparently does not appear in your eastern bird guide.

You did not say "see" or "take a photograph." And in either case, looking up "Steller's jay" in Google would seem to me a logical (and quick!) first step.

Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado would seem to me the closest location where you would be guaranteed easy-to-photograph Steller's jays.

Interestingly, Steller's Jays are becoming easier to spot outside of their traditional habitats (pine forests). Because of the incessant drought and the bark beetle infestation, their food sources have been dwindling and they've been forced elsewhere to survive. I doubt they'll increase their range eastward much, since the Blue Jay holds fort there, but we've seen them with more and more regularity down here in the desert.

apology accepted. I suppose i was a little quizzical in the wording of my question. But anyway, the steller's jay does appear in the Sibley eastern guide, but the book says it's a "rare winter visitor from Rocky Mountains to western edge of eastern North America."
Add the fact that there's no map next to it, and makes seeing it in person that much harder.

Anyway, my dad wants to go to Utah sometime for vacation. Is that a good start for seeing western birds? We plan on getting the Sibley Western version during the trip.

steller's jays are extremely tame birds. when i was out west in 2000, a pair of them flew within inches of me trying to get a handout at lake tahoe.

Hi Gthang,

They should be very easy in Utah, anywhere at middle altitudes in the mountains - hope you have a successful trip.

It'd be worth getting the western Sibley well before you go (like now!!), and read up on what to look for out there. Lots of other super birds as well as Steller's out there, Gray Jays, Pinyon Jays and Clark's Nutcrackers, for starters.

Just wish I was going as well . . .

Michael

gthang said:
I live in NY.

I think there are some birds that are really pretty and one of them is the Steller's Jay. There's no map for the Steller's Jay in the Sibley Eastern book. Where would i have to go in order to get a picture of a steller's jay?

;) Come to New Mexico. They are all over the place. Lay out some food on a picnic table in the mountains and you will be mobbed by them. LOL!

The Steller's Jay is the provincial emblem of B. C., where I live. But it's much more widespread than that.

Pleasesleep, a few Steller's Jays are tame in a few special places, such as you visited. Clark's Nutcrackers are also sometimes tame. But Steller's Jays are characteristically very wild. They come to feeders like any jays, but on their own terms and with obvious caution.

crispycreme, Steller's Jays occupy a different niche from Blue Jays. I can't see them competing directly. However, Steller's Jays are limited by habitat demands for pretty tall, deep forests. They don't have to stay IN the forests; they love back yards nearby; but they are far less sociable with human society than are Blue Jays. Very roughly, like wolves contrasted with coyotes.

And Utah is an absolutely beautiful state, full of giant red rock formations. Gorgeous!

I lived in Utah for a while and Steller Jays are very common. They are a pretty bird. You should have no problem sighting some in Utah if you get in the mountians or foothills at all. They were very vissible at Navaho Lake, just east of Cedar City. Also common in the suburbs of Salt Lake City.
Rod

gthang said:
I live in NY.

I'm a New Yorker but have not seen any in the last two years in Central Park or nearby and don't have any hope of seeing them here. The Sibley Guide to Birds (Knopf, 2000) shows them in the Western US and there's pictures of several on page 351.

I did see a few on June 15 of this year at a feeder at the Audubon Society in Portland, Oregon.

Last edited:
I have raised many steller jay babies and juveniles, These inquisitive, very strong and extremely interesting birds are numerous out here in California. Very neat bird to admire in the wild and work with at the center.

Certified wildlife rehab provider for 4 local agencies.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back