• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three birds from Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

akjackson1

Here's a couple shots from La Fortuna, Costa Rica from this last week that I'm struggling with. My closest guesses so far:

1. Really not sure...
2. Yellow Tyrannulet with a shorter tail??
3. Yellow-olive Flycatcher?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 59
1, 2 - no guess
3 - immediate reaction was Paltry tyrannulet, but I am not sure

Niels

These are my best guesses... so definitely wait for others.

1) Ochre-bellied Flycatcher
2) Yellow-winged Vireo
3) Slate-headed Tody-Flycatcher

1. Agree with Ochre-bellied Flycatcher
2. Yellow Tyrannulet was also my first guess, but these guys can be tough. Do you know what elevation you were at?
3. Agree with Yellow-olive Flycatcher.

1) this has to be ochre-bellied, I agree, even though the diagnostic pale bill be isn't evident
2) this is yellow-winged vireo. Note the mark below the eye: yellow tyrannulet has a different face pattern. Tail is damaged
3) yellow-olive fly. Paltry tyrannulet has less grey on the head and a very different jizz. Tody-fly has white loral pattern not seen here.

[Edit] Backtracking: 2) I think this must be the tyrannulet. Best evidence is the lack of primary projection which I think should be more pronounced in the vireo. In other respects I find it a difficult bird as it's so worn.

Last edited:
Thank you all, seems there is consensus on 1 and 3, but #2 is unlikely to be Yellow-winged Vireo, it's never been reported within 40 km of La Fortuna which is (situated at about 1000 ft). Would that default to a Yellow Tyrannulet then? Or perhaps something else entirely?

#1 Doesn't look much like a Mionectes to me, but can't come up with an alternative

#2 Can't see this being being anything other than Yellow-winged Vireo. Those legs do not belong to any flycatcher.

Andy

Last edited:
Thank you all, seems there is consensus on 1 and 3, but #2 is unlikely to be Yellow-winged Vireo, it's never been reported within 40 km of La Fortuna which is (situated at about 1000 ft). Would that default to a Yellow Tyrannulet then? Or perhaps something else entirely?

See my revised post re: 2. I think wing formula means it must be the tyrannulet

I don't think Yellow-winged Vireo is at all possible at that elevation. The vireo shouldn't be present until you go another 1200 meters higher. I still think it is a Yellow Tyrannulet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back