• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeder stand warning (1 Viewer)

markspirito

Good morning
Unfortunately I had a distraught phone call from my mother last night telling me she had to extract a Great spotted woodpecker from her bird feeder stand which is one of those ornate steel stands with curled ends, the woodpecker had somehow got its leg caught, after untangling it apparently the bird flew off and is returning to feed and drink although with a clearly damaged leg, much to her dismay, she has now taped up the curled ends of the stand.
Something like this :https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...bbAhXkK8AKHXjlAgUQMwj5AigIMAg&iact=mrc&uact=8

Good morning
Unfortunately I had a distraught phone call from my mother last night telling me she had to extract a Great spotted woodpecker from her bird feeder stand which is one of those ornate steel stands with curled ends, the woodpecker had somehow got its leg caught, after untangling it apparently the bird flew off and is returning to feed and drink although with a clearly damaged leg, much to her dismay, she has now taped up the curled ends of the stand.

There were other postings about this problem on the Forum some time ago (3 years?) . I think the manufacturer ought to be told about this design fault. Or maybe they have been told and this particular feeder has been in use for a while. At the time we checked our son's standing feeder and he taped that up. At least your mother will have peace of mind that it won't happen again. Our birds have enough to contend with these days without a feeder than can damage them, haven't they?

Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back