• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exposure issue with Fuji X100 (1 Viewer)

Al Downie

HI all,

I'd be very grateful for advice from anyone who's using a Fuji X-series camera, or who might have seen the same issue that I'm finding just now.

I have my X100 set to Aperture Priority Auto, and everything works as I would expect while I'm using maximum aperture (f2). But when I change my aperture to anything else, then, when I half-press the shutter the image in the EVF suddenly flares into over-exposure, and this is reflected in the final capture too. I can correct it to a limited extent with exposure compensation adjustment, but not if I select f5.6 or greater.

This only happens when the camera is attached to the scope - at all other times the EVF preview responds to aperture changes just fine.

If any of you have seen this before, did you manage to find a solution or workaround? I'd be very grateful for advice.

Cheers,

Al

If it's a mark I X100, that sounds like the symptoms of the dreaded sticky aperture blades problem - basically the aperture blades are stuck open at f2 so when you press the shutter and it tries to stop-down, it doesn't and the picture is over-exposed. But if that's the cause it's puzzling that it only occurs when it's mounted to a scope - perhaps the way it's mounted is putting some force in to the lens?

Thanks Paul! That never occurred to me at all. It does sound plausible in terms of the effect that's produced, but I agree it's strange that it should only happen when the camera is pressed against the scope. I normally set up the scope for digiscoping with the eyecup extended all the way out, and there's a gender-changer ring on the lens filter thread (which extends beyond the range of movement of the lens as it focuses), so I don't think there's any pressure on the lens that might be transferred to the aperture blades. Still scratching my head...

Sticky aperture blades was a specific and not uncommon issue with the original X100 so I reckon it's worth googling what others have said.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back