• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The mysterious Monsieur Pecquet, Pecqnet or Pesquet … or whatever his name was!? (1 Viewer)

summarizing a bit:

No mention of any death of a Pesquet-Deschamps in the "decade tables" for Caen between 1823 and 1853.

However, a marriage certificate from 16 April 1849, in Caen, mentions the death of the bride's father. The father's name was PESQUET-DESCHAMPS-EVREMOND. His family was originally from Pierrefitte-en-Auge (commune du Calvados, arrondissement de Pont-l’Evêque). (That's about 50km from Caen.)

--
The language is a teensy bit ambiguous. It's possible that the 1849 date is the father's death date, not the marriage date, but I doubt it. It's also unclear how much time passed between the death and the marriage. I'm guessing that the marriage certificate simply said "father: Pesquet-Deschamps Evremond (deceased)"

It's odd that your correspondent used spelling that would indicate that Evremond is a family name, not a given name. (Use of dashes, plus all capital letters.) The documents linked elsewhere in this thread seemed to indicate that Evremond was a given name, and I would expect the father's given name to be included on a marriage certificate.

I think we can conclude that "Evremond pesquet" is indeed a "pesquet-deschamps", which we didn't know before. Was he the owner of the collection? If he died in 1833, he *could* have a daughter getting married in 1849...
Hmm... Evremond had three daughters, the last born "ca 1836"
http://gw.geneanet.org/pierfit?lang=fr&p=evremond&n=pesquet+des+champs
If not for that "ca" I'd say there's no way Evremond can be our man, unless the 1833 death date is wrong. Actually, where did you find that death date? edit: never mind, it's in this thread.

Would be nice to know the bride's given name(s) from that marriage certificate. Evremond's daughters were Leontine Sophie, Marie Charlotte, and Marthe Elisabeth. Oh, looky here:

F Marie Charlotte PESQUET des CHAMPS ca 1826-1893 mariée le 16 avril 1849, Caen (14), avec Eugène Louis Le CARBONNIER de La MORSANGLIÈRE ca 1818-1907

OK, so now we know which marriage certificate was found.

Would be nice to confirm "our" pesquet's death date and/or marthe-elisabeth's birth date, but it looks like Evremond is not our guy.

Last edited:
Thanks "nartreb"!

It was like I suspected ... no-matter when that man died or his daugther got married ... I think youré right:
... it looks like Evremond is not our guy.
And as nothing got any clearer (about "our" guy) and with no other Pescuet-Deschamps present in their list of deceased I think we´re stuck. In another dead end.

I´ll have to leave Monsieur Pescuet-Deschamps here and there ... in the shades.

Once again, thanks for trying to find him.

And good luck to anyone still "digging"!

Pesquet ... still, over and out!

Last edited:
At least 1888 here he seems to be dead.

Feu M. Pesquet-Deschamps en avait tué deux dans les environs de Cherbourg [LE SAUVAGE. - Op. cit.p. 183]

So seems to be written by Edme Lesauvage (also spelt Le Sauvage) (23 October 1778 – 10 December 1852) than before 1852.

And here the original text from Lesauvage. So I would say death before 1838.

I did not get why between 1833 and 1834?

Monsieur "Pesquet Deschamps" apparently passed away between 1833 and 1834: " … don’t la collection d'oiseaux est une des plus belles du département."

I did not get why between 1833 and 1834?
In the text attached by Björn in Post #17, which was read at a public tenure of the Société Linnéenne de Normandie, held in Falaise on 5 June 1834, he is listed among the members that had passed away since the previous year.

Maybe a candidate here?

François-Jean-Bapliste-Pierre Pesquet, puis Pesquet des Champs, membre du Collège électoral du Calvados, fut anobli par lettres-patentes du 14 décembre 1816; né a Saint-Loup-de-Fribois (Calvados) le 10 juillet 1750

here p 209 as:
BB/11/518
Dossier n°3015 X4
PESQUET-DESCHAMPS, Jean Baptiste François Pierre
Né(e) le 19 juillet 1756 à Saint-Loup-de-Fribois (Calvados)
Qualité : propriétaire
Objet : titre [notification de décès]
Ouverture du dossier : 18 décembre 1846

I have no clue how to get the Dossier.

Anyway here Évremond PESQUET des CHAMPS mentioned earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Pesquet's Parrot Psittrichas fulgidus Lesson, 1830
M. Pecquet presented the holotype to Lesson (q.v.) with the information that he had obtained it from a quay in Le Havre, France. Lesson noted it was part of a consignment of birds from Patagonia and the River Plate region. However, he wrote later (correctly) that the specimen probably came from New Guinea. The bird was collected during the (1826–1829) circumnavigation by the French vessel L'Astrolabe. During this voyage Lesson's brother, Pierre Adolphe Lesson, was aboard as ship's surgeon and naturalist. This bird's taxonomic history is an excellent example of the problems of namings in the 19th century. René Primevère Lesson had first named the species Banksianus fulgidus (1830) (so that binomial has priority), but he re-named the same species Psittacus pecquetii (1831) and then used Psittrichas pesqueti (1838). Selby (1836) had used the name Dasyptilus pequeti; and various other combinations can be found in 19th-century ornithological works.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back