• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly ID (Sweden) (1 Viewer)

Pete007

I would very much appreciate your help with the ID of this butterfly I photographed earlier this year in Sweden.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Butterfly_M7A8268.jpg
    Butterfly_M7A8268.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 68
One of the Plebejus blues- maybe Silver-studded?

I think Ida's Blue is the commoner, it certainly is here in Russia although it's obviously habitat dependent.

One of this hard to separate pair, has a spur on the foreleg I think if I remember correctly, this doesn't seem to have?

If I learned anything from ladybirds, you have to be holding the damn thing to have any proper sense of whether it has a foreleg spur or not.

On the strength of the photo I would plump for Ida's ……………… but these 2 are so difficult to separate!

Shane

I must admit, I hadn't realised it was this tiny and on this basis, I may have to re-evalute my own records.

In that link, her writes

'The upperside male black border is fine and the upperside hindwing space 7 largely blue in P. idas the border often much broader and space 7 lacks blue in P. argus.'

'Upperside'. does he refer to the forewing with this word as the features he mentions are on the underside are they not, mention of the black border being 'fine' and on one shot, of the upperside, it's clearly broad?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back