• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swavoski scope but which tripod and head. (1 Viewer)

chrstut

Hi all,
Iam just about to purchase a Swarovski 65mm ATS scope but iam not sure which tripod and head I should purchase to go with it.I used to have a Swarovski tripod and head that I sold a few years ago.I looked at the latest Swarovski tripod set up and was shocked as to what they were charging now(around 450pounds).Has anybody got any recommendations for a good quality tripod and head that is compatiable with Swarovski scopes which are user friendly and not to heavy to walk around with.My budget is around 300 to 350 pounds.Regards and thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi and welcome.

If you purchased the Swarovski scope and Swarovski tripod as a package, you might get the tripod for £350, i.e. in budget.

There are a lot of threads about tripod/heads if you search the forum.
I would look at Sirui and perhaps Benro if you have a limited budget.

Like Paul1963 I also use the Manfrotto 701 (HDV model in my case). Although it is no longer made it is still a decent head if you can find one at sensible money.

Just a few thoughts:

The Swarovski ATS65 is rather tail-heavy, so you should consider a head which will accept a long plate extending rearwards. Otherwise you are going to have to use a lot of tilt friction or frequently lock the tilt function.

A Sirui VH-10 would be a good choice or even the lightweight VA-5 might be adequate.

IMO rotating locks are better than lever locks - self adjusting.

Choose the lowest number of leg sections compatible with your collapsed length requirements.

The higher the diameter of the bottom leg sections, the better. Anything under 20 mm is a guarantee for vibrations in a moderate breeze.

Concur with Benro, Feisol, Sirui suggestions.

John

PS: Agree with Mark on Swaro head. For that money you can get the excellent Berlebach 510.

I`v been using the Swaro head with an ATS65HD for some time with zero issues, scope clicks in with no plate needed, locks instantly at the flick of a switch, certainly not junk in my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back