• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bell's Sparrow (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello,
the belli subspecies, what is the habitat and how does one get to see one of those? It seems for example that it is regularly reported even at this time of year from the UC Riverside botanical garden, but a little more info would be nice. I will be in the area next week, and also down in San Diego part of the time.

thanks
Niels

I do not know where my brain was at the time I wrote this: I meant to write Bell's Sparrow and for some reason warbler came out.

Niels

Do you mean A belli, or A belli belli? In 2013 Sage Sparrow (A belli) got split into Sagebrush Sparrow (A nevadensis) and Bell's Sparrow (A belli). So "belli subspecies" can mean at least two things:
pre-split meaning: the belli subspecies of the old Sage Sparrow, which is now known as Bell's Sparrow (A belli)
post-split meaning: the belli subspecies of the current Bell's Sparrow, which is known as A. belli belli

Wim

Hello Wim, the last two of your lines actually refer to the same taxon: the belli subspecies of whatever taxon that belongs to. Anyway, I am interested in the subspecies (not species) or in other words the coastal form of the old Sage Sparrow, now the coastal form of the Bell's sparrow.

Niels

Hello Wim, the last two of your lines actually refer to the same taxon: the belli subspecies of whatever taxon that belongs to. Anyway, I am interested in the subspecies (not species) or in other words the coastal form of the old Sage Sparrow, now the coastal form of the Bell's sparrow.

Niels

You're right. I confused myself with this confusing split.

Wim

No problem.

I am currently in CA and has not caught up with this form. I did catch up with the desert form of Bighorn Sheep.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back