• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Family of swans shot dead (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
An entire family of swans has been wiped out when the birds were shot and killed in a "senseless" attack.

The bodies of two adults and five cygnets were found wrapped in plastic bags in Benenden, Kent on 24 November.

X-rays showed one of the birds found by the bank of a stream in Stepneyford Lane had been "peppered with pellets".

RSPCA Inspector Dave Grant said it was "absolutely disgusting that someone would purposefully target and kill these beautiful birds".

Mr Grant was alerted to the killings by police and is now investigating.

Words fail me.

Full article here

I was going to post this yesterday but it just gets so f***ing depressing, one moronic incident of wanton cruelty after another.

It's just too easy to buy air rifles and high-powered crossbows. Think it's beginning to dawn on our authorities so, hopefully , action may be around the corner.

Definitely from a shotgun which means the culprit must be licensed to own one and can possibly be traced hopefully.

Definitely from a shotgun which means the culprit must be licensed to own one and can possibly be traced hopefully.

With respect, that's a bit naive?

I'll bet there are thousands, of unlicenced shotguns out there, relics of the days when none were needed. I also think that tracing shotgun pellets is impossible.

Last edited:
The find in plastic bags suggests to me killing for the pot and having to dump the ill-gotten gains for some reason. The cygnets would be adult-sized by now.

John

The find in plastic bags suggests to me killing for the pot and having to dump the ill-gotten gains for some reason. The cygnets would be adult-sized by now.

John

Not daring to suggest an immigrant crime surely John!?

Seriously though, if you were to accept that they were shot for the pot, I don't think there are many / any, indigenous folk who'd consider going out to shoot Swans to eat.

Not sure they're even on the menu for the Traveler folk despite their alleged liking for Hedgehog pie?

Waits for inevitable accusations of racism...............

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back